Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Licensing Inquiry and Complaint
  •  
indi_shorty

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'll start with my rant, why oh why is software like this priced so ridiculously high? Do you have an aversion to home users buying this software because it might be exactly what they are looking for?

/rant mode off.

Licensing Inquiry:

Using the prices provided on the buy page:
www.kerio.com/control/buy

I came to a value of $625US for 50 Users (including Anti-Virus and Web Filter Options) yet when I used your automated tool to purchase online, it gave me a value of $1,885. Why the nearly 3 fold increase, does it calculate differently then I did doing it manually?

My Calculation:
New License for Kerio Control with Anti-Virus + WebFilter: $310US for 5 Users Included in Price
45 Additional Users @ $35US per 5 users: $315
Grand Total of $625

My Test Setup is:
5 Users (in Kerio Control)
Maximum Total devices that may use the internet at any one time is 39. Generally around 20-25 may be connected at once.
User each has a different amount of IP's that are logged under them.

Am I misreading how the user licensing system works?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

The site says that the price is $35 ($29+$6) per user. So 5 user pack is $175.
Kerio Control is a perimeter network firewall for small and medium companies. The feature set and functions are rarely used by home users. You can contact any of our partners (http://www.kerio.com/partners/locator/search) and they will provide you more information.
  •  
indi_shorty

Thanks, well another software to cross off the list because of greedy companies.

Rarely does not equal never!

I have a specific set of needs (yes I might be a rarity but doubt I'm the only one), this is the only software I can find that covers them all and like usual way over-priced.
  •  
silars

I am one of those Home users, but I found the costs to be quite justified. However, the difference is I'm only maintaining a 15 user license.

I do feel your pain. Kerio Control (Winroute when I started) was the only solution that did everything I needed at a price point I could afford.

My only ask, "Are you sure you need a 50 user license?". Also, it appears you are pricing in AV and the Web Filter. You could forego those options and reduce your costs.

I've been quite happy with using Control for my home.
  •  
indi_shorty

Thanks to how you have to buy users, its now priced way out of my range. With my (now flawed) calculation, it would of been reasonably possible.

Yes, 50 might be overkill, but as I said, generally 20 connected devices at any given time, can jump up to 30-35 depending on who is home and what is running.
(big household, lots of internet connected devices)
Sure I can dump the AV and just use none or free external AV. But the webfilter is a required item.

I don't find the cost justified at all, companies like this just don't really care. I'm a firm believer in sell for less - sell more.
Would of love to have it, but like I said way way out of my price range. Nobody else here (in the house) would chip in so I'm on my own.
  •  
silars

The licensing isn't by device. It is by user. A user can have up to 5 devices (IP) logged under their name, or accounted for by their user. Thus, it is possible to service up to 25 IP devices with a 5 user license. At least, that is how I compute for my resources. So far, I haven't had any licensing problems. I have approximately 60 connected IP devices.

I have had up to 8 warm bodies in the house at one time, all with laptops, cell phones, and tablets. I can't comment on how many cold bodies though.

Without specifics, I can't be completely accurate, but the 5 user license appears capable of handling your normal situation. If the 5 user license is still too much, I don't see any remedy.

I do wish you the best of luck.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 April 2012 01:32]

•  
indi_shorty

This is my user breakdown at the moment. Each user has a range of IP's accolated to them.

User 1: 30 IP's (14 Currently Assigned)

User 2: 10 IP's (4 Currenly Assigned)

User 3: 20 IP's (2-3 Generally Assigned)

User 4: 22 IP's (All Assigned)

User 5: 19 IP's (All Assigned - if the Firewall is counted - 20 IP's)

Total that may be in use: 62.

Using this and 5 IP's to a user, I need 11 users, rounded to 15 (have to buy in groups of 5), comes to $660 US, a bit more the what I calcuated before, but just in my price range, though I have to save for a while. Is this new calcuation right?

Gives me a 13 IP safezone (15 users equals 75 IP's)
  •  
silars

That's how I've been doing the math, but I'm not cutting it as close as you will be (most my devices are not frequently on the Internet). I'm no expert, and you'd be wise to consult a reseller to verify the math. I do believe the software bases that on active hosts, so if some of the hosts are not, or have not been, active, then you essentially can re-use some counts. Active hosts age out after some time.

I do realize you came here trying to get a solid confirmation on your needs. While you ultimately may get that here, I do think your fastest path to information will be engaging a reseller in your area.

Or, better yet, exploiting both paths...forums and reseller.

Either way, I'll be monitoring this thread due to its relevance to me as well. I'll share some pain with you. Smile
Previous Topic: Problems with WOWZA streaming and WOL
Next Topic: Blocking Social Networking Sites
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 18:11:47 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00463 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.