Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Urgently Need Some Help! (Configure Kerio With Windows Domain Controller)
  •  
KerioControl

Send a private message to this user
Hello Dear friends, I am a new with your soft and need some suggestions about configuring Kerio Control With Domain Controller:

I have two Servers one For Domain Controller (Which I'll Configure) and the Second for Kerio Control....

Please Suggest how to configure....
as i know kerio has its own DNS, DHCP server
What will be the correct step: Configure Domain Server without dns and dhcp (I think this is not a good idea, because I must use Active directory and RIS - Remote installation Server role too)
or Install kerio without dns and dhcp server.....

Do you have a Step By step configuration manual for this....
I need to configure them correctly, because I'll have about 250 pc's to manage....

I liked Kerio because it also has built in content filter and also ability to configure one additional antivirus (In my case we use Nod32 v4 Business edition)

Thank you very much in Advanced!
  •  
silars

DHCP is quite easy to disable, and I would recommend it. Simply navigate to the DHCP configuration panel and un-check "Enable DHCP server". DNS is similarly disabled. Just un-check "Enable the DNS forwarding service".

However, there really is no harm in leaving DNS running on Kerio. In fact, I use it as the Secondary DNS server in my DHCP configuration, just in case the Domain Controller is down for service. Rememeber, it is a forwarding service, not a real DNS server. Just configure it to forward how you need. In fact, by default, the DNS forwarding service appears to know about the Domain Controller if you have Kerio joined to the domain.
  •  
KerioControl

Hello Silaris Thanks for your reply...

So as I guess I have todo

First I'll configure domain controller with everything (DNS, DHCP + IP Address Range) and other services if i need (Time Server, RIS, Active Directory etc.)

after that I'll install kerio control to another pc and will not activate dns, dhcp services, but i'll connect it to a domain from (from the kerio) as i remember there is a function which is importing users from DC

am I right, do I need something special?
I searched about this, but found nothing Sad
  •  
silars

That sounds right. Everyone's configuration is a little different, but you aren't much different than me.

The online configuration guide (and downloadable PDF) does describe these steps individually, so you can educate yourself somewhat that way. As long as you aren't doing anything tricky, it should be very straightforward to get things working.

Keep in mind, there is still a bit of work required to setup your Traffic Rules, Logging, NTP, SMTP notifications, etc. I've limited my response to only the interaction between Kerio Control and the DC, and the roles they will play.
  •  
frankxs

Considering a Windows Domain environment, I would not use any other DNS/DHCP than the Windows Domain Controller. I would not enable the Kerio Control DHCP and I would leave the Kerio DNS in forwarding mode. This has been working well for me for many years with Kerio Control. Disabling the Kerio DHCP is a simple (un)check box.

-Frank

[Updated on: Wed, 04 April 2012 20:27]

•  
KerioControl

Thank You for your suggestions
Previous Topic: Blocking Social Networking Sites
Next Topic: Blocking, Skype
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 22:30:30 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00424 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.