Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Howto > Manual Offsite Archiving (eg. Public Folders)
  •  
tiberius

Send a private message to this user
Hi!

We have Public folders which correlates to project folders on our Fileserver. If a project is accomplished we do a Offsite Archiving.

So, I wanna do this for public folders as well...

I've tried to copy away (linux - console) one test public folder with a bunch of subs...and delete them...after a while the public folder (webmail) was gone = ok. Then I copied the public folder back but unfortunately the public folder never comes visibly!?

Any ideas ?

BTW: The implemented Archiving is currently in use for mail delete prevention.
  •  
Kedar

Was Kerio Connect running while you moved these folders?

[Updated on: Tue, 17 April 2012 13:54]

•  
tiberius

Yes

Radek Sip (KERIO) wrote on Tue, 17 April 2012 13:49
Was Kerio Connect running while you moved these folders?

•  
Kedar

So you was successful: server didn't crashed Smile
  •  
tiberius

?

Is there better more common way ?

Radek Sip (KERIO) wrote on Tue, 17 April 2012 14:11
So you was successful: server didn't crashed Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 17 April 2012 14:15]

•  
Kedar

These data are loaded/cached in engine, they are synchronized with some internal databases used by Kerio Connect...
You deleted some data directly from disk, I guess there will be some errors/warnings in the log. Many softwares crash in such situation.

Don't do these actions while Kerio Connect is running.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 April 2012 14:22]

•  
Kedar

A low risk action is to copy content to different location outside Kerio Connect store (you risk data in folder will be changed while copying), the problem is deleting/replacing of a content directly from the disk, especially while Kerio Connect is running.
  •  
tiberius

Ok. got it...So, If I do it if the server is down in the described way this should work well?

Or is there a different/better way to realize a offsite archiving?

Radek Sip (KERIO) wrote on Tue, 17 April 2012 14:21
These data are loaded/cached in engine, they are synchronized with some internal databases used by Kerio Connect...
You deleted some data directly from disk, I guess there will be some errors/warnings in the log. Many softwares crash in such situation.

Don't do these actions while Kerio Connect is running.

•  
tiberius

Low risk is better, but I'm looking for a no risk solution....

Radek Sip (KERIO) wrote on Tue, 17 April 2012 14:29
A low risk action is to copy content to different location outside Kerio Connect store (you risk data in folder will be changed while copying), the problem is deleting/replacing of a content directly from the disk, especially while Kerio Connect is running.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 April 2012 14:33]

•  
tiberius

Is there no common way ? Rolling Eyes
  •  
Kedar

No, we have no separate backup/archiving for domain/user/public folders. Backup is available per server (for entire store). Please use our "Suggest Idea" button in the welcome screen of Web Administration to create new suggestion.
If you need backup only some items and full/differential backup of entire store is not what you want, I suggest stop Kerio Connect and copy/compress these items on disk. If you want delete them after, do not delete these items on the disk directly: start Kerio Connect again and delete items e.g. in WebMail.
  •  
tiberius

Thanks for your support / suggestion...One last question:

During the restore of eg. one public folder the kerio daemon should be down as well - right?
Further I will start the kerio daemon and the restored public folder is visible/accessible once again using eg. webmail - right?

I will test this....

Radek Sip (KERIO) wrote on Wed, 18 April 2012 11:41
No, we have no separate backup/archiving for domain/user/public folders. Backup is available per server (for entire store). Please use our "Suggest Idea" button in the welcome screen of Web Administration to create new suggestion.
If you need backup only some items and full/differential backup of entire store is not what you want, I suggest stop Kerio Connect and copy/compress these items on disk. If you want delete them after, do not delete these items on the disk directly: start Kerio Connect again and delete items e.g. in WebMail.

•  
Kedar

we don't support such backup/restore, so we don't test it and I can't promise you everything will be OK. I think so, but this is my personal opinion. You should test it works for you.
Official tool for restore from backup is "kmsrecover" command line tool (/opt/kerio/mailserver/kmsrecover), it supports partial restore, incl. public folders only, but it requires backup created by Kerio Connect (for more see kmsrecover --help )
  •  
tiberius

I know....and I know the kmsrecover tool, but this is not suitable for what I'm looking for!
Is there a command line tool to backup specific folders ?
I guess not...

If I test the discussed method and It works hmm It isn't a good base for a stable long term offsite archiving solution ;-(

I wounder that I'm the only one who's looking for such a solution because this isn't pretty exotic.

Anyway, thanks for ya time.
I will suggest it using the Suggest Idea thing.
Previous Topic: Shared folders and permissions on Apple
Next Topic: Sophos not updating (7.3.2)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 20:17:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00481 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.