Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mailing List Posting / Denial (Mailing List Denying Posting and Dumping Notification)
  •  
Kcaldera

Send a private message to this user
We have several mailing lists. These lists are set to notify the moderator for review, before a user can post messages to the list. According to the Kerio KB information...

1. If you deny the post, the user gets a response informing them their posting was denied by the moderator.

2. If you don't take any action as a moderator, the user gets a response after 7 days their post was not allowed as well.

What we are looking for is the option to simply dump the posting request, and not have the user know either way.

There is an option under the "Posting" tab of the mailing list.
( Notify user the posting will be reviewed by the moderator )
I am not too clear on this option. If this option is left unchecked, does the user get a notification of Denial??

Sources:
http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-listadmi n.html
and
http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-mlistusa ge.html

Thanks
KC
  •  
TorW

Kcaldera78 wrote on Wed, 18 April 2012 00:56
What we are looking for is the option to simply dump the posting request, and not have the user know either way.

Blackholing legitimate mail is pretty bad from a usability standpoint unless you have a spam problem. If you just drop the mail silently, the sender will think it went through. It's the old principle of "be silent if everything went well". I don't know your particular scenario however, so it may make more sense for you to drop mail.

Just my two cents.

Kcaldera78 wrote on Wed, 18 April 2012 00:56
There is an option under the "Posting" tab of the mailing list.
( Notify user the posting will be reviewed by the moderator )
I am not too clear on this option. If this option is left unchecked, does the user get a notification of Denial??

This option will not notify the sender that the message is queued for moderation, but it will notify the sender of an auto-denial after seven days - if you ignore the message.

•  
Kcaldera

Thanks for the reply.

The scenario:
My boss is the admin of these mailing lists. He does not want the user to get a denial notice when he chooses to deny their posting request. Many of the posters know he is the admin, and he is afraid they would simply shoot him an email when they get denied.

If anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this, I would appreciate it. Smile
  •  
TorW

Rectifying human behaviour with technology? Wink That sounds like fun.

It's well known (at least amongst us old farts) that a list moderator has the final word, and does not have to offer any reason for denying a message. This is usually stated in the list charter (you have one of those, right?), and especially so if the list is public. As far as I know, neither ezmlm, mailman nor majordomo have mechanics allowing for silent moderation. Probably because it is very rude and in a greater sense counter productive. I have no idea what the list is about, so please bear with me while musing in general.

Also, the KC mailing lists always have an unmoderated owner address (listname-owner<_at_>example.com) the subscribers can mail to at all times. Someone will be pestered if the poster starts to whinge. The question is who ...

In other words I have no idea how to accomplish what you ask for.
Previous Topic: >>> IMPORTANT: Jan 2012 Microsoft patch KB2585542 breaks Kerio Outlook Connector SSL
Next Topic: False detection of directory harvest attack
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Aug 18 21:54:17 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00396 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.