Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Can't bind socket port 53 error, anyone have an idea?
  •  
roadrun777

Send a private message to this user
Hello, I am running Windows Server 2003 (standard), and I have recently installed Kerio Winroute Firewall v6 to test out the VPN functions.

I have been seeing tons of errors in the error log section.
[21/Jun/2004 07:20:55] (4507:10013) Socket error: Unable to bind socket for DNS service to 192.168.x.x:53

etc...
It repeats over and over and over..

I have stopped winroute and used a utility called TCPview from sysinternals (and some others) to check out processes running and what ports they are using. I can't find any program using port 53, the server was never set up to be a DNS server either.
I am thinking that windows 2003 server automatically reserves port 53. Anyone know of a way around this?
(also, the built in firewalls are not being used, so that eliminates that)
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

Try using the Windows 2003 DNS for DNS
  •  
roadrun777

The server does not have a real domain name, why should I spend time registering my DNS server and setting up the necessary accounts and setting all the propagation rules. Isn't that overkill anyhow?
I can see using DNS if I were to use Active Directory, but I am not. This is a very small lan, and a DNS forwarder is the way to go.

I bet your the type to set up 8 SQL cluster servers in your house to do one simple database, just so you could get extra speed.

Anyway thanks for your anti-helpful reply.
The world always needs more posters like you.

•  
HSK2840

Could you please count to 10 before you post such a reply again?

It is rather simple to use Win2003 DNS-service. Just about as easy to configure KWF to do it.
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

roadrun777 wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 02:44

The server does not have a real domain name, why should I spend time registering my DNS server and setting up the necessary accounts and setting all the propagation rules. Isn't that overkill anyhow?
I can see using DNS if I were to use Active Directory, but I am not. This is a very small lan, and a DNS forwarder is the way to go.

I bet your the type to set up 8 SQL cluster servers in your house to do one simple database, just so you could get extra speed.

Anyway thanks for your anti-helpful reply.
The world always needs more posters like you.

Actualy I won't setup an 8 Server SQL cluster
and as HSK2840 say's it is very easy to setup DNS in Windows2003.
it is even better than the DNS forwarder of Winroute it self, cause you can add your own records to it.

[edit]
People like you shouldn't ask questions if they don't like the answers

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 10:43]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

RHarmsen.nl wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 18:02

Try using the Windows 2003 DNS for DNS

Or simply wait for the next release with bugfix.
  •  
roadrun777

RHarmsen.nl wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 10:43
Actualy I won't setup an 8 Server SQL cluster
and as HSK2840 say's it is very easy to setup DNS in Windows2003.
it is even better than the DNS forwarder of Winroute it self, cause you can add your own records to it.

[edit

People like you shouldn't ask questions if they don't like the answers

The original question was how to fix the problem I was seeing, in the log files, from kerio.
Not - Someone please tell me what other programs I should use besides Kerio.

My point being, if you can't answer the question constructively maybe you should close the septic hole?
Its stinking.

Previous Topic: Creating rule for checkpoint vpn client
Next Topic: Opening ports
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 10:38:33 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00474 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.