Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Suggestion about Archiving
  •  
pcunix

Send a private message to this user
I've had more than one customer misunderstand Archiving and think that that's some better form of backup.

I think it would be wise to add text to that admin panel that warns people that Archiving is not very useful for recovery - that they want to use Backup instead.

Also, the Backup panel should include a link to the kmsrecover man page at the least. I'd rather there was another panel for recovery, but a link would at least help people find it!

[Updated on: Tue, 15 May 2012 15:50]

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
maurice

Too true, it took some time of using / administering Connect for this particular penny to drop. This is not the most clearly documented component of the package so some augmentation would be a good start and help many users.

Maurice
  •  
Waco1

This raises a related question that I have regarding the admin API beta.

This is the very thing that I wanted to join that beta to do, but I haven't seen a beta release of an API. Either that, or I'm just missing how to get to it. (I admit I'm a bit ADHD when it comes to digging for info)

I have no idea whether that API would provide adequate hooks for this type of functionality, but a bit of OpenNess in Kerio Connect would be a very welcome thing indeed! Especially if there are low-level hooks for things like message indexing, sync-triggering, and message store get/put interception, so that the backup/restore process can be performed more easily/intuitively, and maybe even enable a live-restore feature that works with KOC.

Some of us are extremely capable programmers and a few of us tend to "embetter" things, to paraphrase Homer Simpson. Aaaaaand we occasionally break stuff too, which results in misplaced support calls to Kerio.....ya know what? Nevermind!
  •  
hbianchi

"Archiving" as it is implemented, is just a tool fot administrators and is very similar as backup. I suggest to explore the possibility, that "archiving" become a personal tool for users: to download and guard messages in his own PC. Many times, users leave mails in their mailbox, because they want to keep them for the future, but they could simply download it to their machine and not congesting the mailserver data (this is particularly useful for mails with attachments). If you work with Outlook this can be done by moving the message to a local acocunt (created in the machine), but there are no similar tool for doing so from the webmail screen. I suggest to add a funtionality in the webmail interface, to donload mails to the user machine as personal choice.
Previous Topic: How to add a spam filter in this way?
Next Topic: Security question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Aug 20 00:25:30 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00377 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.