Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Duplicate JPG Attachments with Outlook 2011
  •  
Bob Johnston

Send a private message to this user
We are running KC 7.4.0 on OS X 10.6.8 with about 50+ Outlook 2011 v14.2.2 users all set up with Exchange Accounts. A few users send JPG attachments and some of the JPGs get duplicated. The duplicate JPG is corrupted and can't be opened. When composing the message, the JPGs are fine with no duplicates, but the user's sent mail shows the duplicates as well as the recipient. The recipients are both on and off our KC server.

I've trashed the Outlook preferences, rebuilt the database, etc. Outlook still sends duplicate JPGs. This doesn't happen to all users, and the same JPGs may or may not duplicate for different users. Absolutely no rhyme or reason yet. Still troubleshooting different things.

It appears to only be related to Outlook 2011 Exchange Accounts, not Outlook POP accounts.

Has anyone seen this before?
  •  
dalenorman

oh my god, would someone please chime in with a solution. i wish i could offer more, but all i can say is i've been battling this since day 1 of outlook 2011 + kerio.

I thought we'd narrowed it down to the way we saved the jpegs - we were using Photoshop CS3, and felt that saving it with the "preview" checkbox un-ticked would solve it. seemed to, until we upgraded to CS5.5. The same option is there in photoshop, but the results were more unpredictable.

i can't say we ever really found a solution. when we see duplicating attachments, we open and resave with preview turned off and cross our fingers. sometimes it solves it, sometimes it doesn't, or so it seems.

•  
ccjwells

This is probably a really dumb question, but the duplicate isn't the resource fork for the file is it? When I started working here any my boss was showing me the attachment filters he mentioned a similar problem of users receiving attached .jpg/.eps, with duplicates of the same name that were no good. He said it was fixed by blocking appledouble files. I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but it sound similar.
  •  
Bob Johnston

Late yesterday someone noticed that the JPGs that are duplicated have a combined size of the original JPG. For example, the original JPG's size is 105K, and the two duplicate JPGs total 105K (89K and 16K). The smaller JPG may or may not be damaged. No pattern.

I agree with the previous post. After we discovered that combined JPGs equal the original size, we started experimenting with saving the JPG differently, deleting the preview icon in the Finder, etc.

Again, it appears to happen with Exchange accounts, not POP accounts. I have not tried IMAP yet. It doesn't happen with webmail, at least not in testing.
  •  
  •  
Bob Johnston

I don't know about the resource fork. I dragged both JPGs (original and duplicate) to my desktop and got info on them. Both show Kind:JPEG Image with the smaller sized duplicate showing a pixelated preview, but it won't open. The error: The file "Snowmobile Holeshot.jpg" could not be opened because it is empty."

Some other duplicated JPGs don't show a pixelated preview, but are still corrupted.
  •  
b-tom

There is already another thread on this issue: http://forums.kerio.com/t/21801
  •  
stothers

Here is my thread on the issue

http://forums.kerio.com/t/21801/outlook-2011-problem-attachi ng-pdf-s/

Kerio has decided it is a Mac/Outlook problem and not a Kerio problem.
Previous Topic: Problems with 7.4 upgrade
Next Topic: Allow only specific domains/emails to an account?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Aug 18 22:06:05 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00427 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.