Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Warm spare or Hot spare (OS X Server- Warm or hot spare?)
  •  
miker789

Send a private message to this user
Other than this post from 4 years ago, I can't find any current info. forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/13306/52574/#msg_52574

I just wanted to see if anyone currently has setup a warm or hot spare server on OS X 10.7 or 10.6 and what they used.

Any idea what Kerio's policy is on this?

Thanks,

Mike
  •  
fishtech

I keep the Kerio mail store on a pegasus thunderbolt raid.

In case of Mac hardware failure I can switch the raid to any other thunderbolt machine, install Kerio Connect, pull in the config files and quickly be up and running.

If the thunderbolt raid fails I have plenty of good local and remote backups but would have to restore. This is a good argument for mirroring the RAID on a second unit.

ft.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 May 2012 23:12]

•  
miker789

That is very similar to what I am thinking.

Got two new Mac Mini servers with dual 500 GB drives and one Pegasus RAID.
Going to setup the mail store on the external RAID.
Have the Mac Mini dual drives setup as mirrored.
Want to have the second Mini be a duplicate of the first Mini and potentially use rsync to keep the Mac Mini's internal drives in sync.

Then if a Mini has some failure, I just shut down both, move the Pegasus to the second Mini and power up.

Just need to figure out IP addresses and how to have that duped.

In theory this sounds good.

Have an older RAID drive on Firewire for the Kerio auto backup.
Also have Retrospect for the normal nightly backup.

Anyone else chime in with their bullet proof setup.

Thanks!
  •  
sfpete

We have considered using the Promise Pegasus as a mail store volume in Kerio deployments, however - what concerns me there is Promise does not offer spare drive modules for the Pegasus. They'll replace them via mail if they fail... but you can't have them on hand in the event of a failure. Just a bit of a scary weak link there.
  •  
sfpete

OK I'm eating my words on this.

I called Promise support on a few months back regarding this and they advised they do _not_ sell spares to keep on hand... only will replace if one fails.

Rooting around in the distribution channel, I do see these are available now however.

2TB 7200 RPM SATA DRIVE MODULE FOR PEGASUS R SERIES RAID SYSTEM
MFG#: HDSATA2TB

1TB 7200 RPM SATA DRIVE MODULE FOR PEGASUS R SERIES RAID SYSTEM
MFG#: HDSATA1TB

Good to know!

•  
MacLab

Miker, regarding your IP problem, what you do is rsync to an external volume on the second mini (or second internal). Then if the first mini dies, you tell the second mini to boot from the external, which is an exact clone of your first mini (although not up to the minute). A good product for this, and easier than rsync is Chronosync + ChronoAgent.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
j.a.duke

MacLab wrote on Thu, 31 May 2012 14:45
Miker, regarding your IP problem, what you do is rsync to an external volume on the second mini (or second internal). Then if the first mini dies, you tell the second mini to boot from the external, which is an exact clone of your first mini (although not up to the minute). A good product for this, and easier than rsync is Chronosync + ChronoAgent.

Your other option is to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner with it's Remote Mac feature to push those changes over the 'net.

Or, even better, you could put your "spare" Mini into target disk mode (either via FireWire or Thunderbolt) and clone the startup disk of the active Mini to the spare.

Should work like a charm.

Cheers,
Jon
Previous Topic: Inbox problems
Next Topic: distribution list
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 16 15:25:35 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00456 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.