Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » High CPU usage (mailserver.exe is consuming 40% to 90% of the CPU time... all the time)
  •  
benjalamelami

Send a private message to this user
I dont know since when, but recently I had blackout in my server... and noticed that by the time I restarted the mail service, the computer was dragging behind. I noticed that the process mailserver.exe is the only one using the CPU all the time.

Is there any way to know what it is doing constantly?

I have KC 7.3.1, 90 users, 15 ActiveSync users (iPhone, iPad), 30 KOFF, the rest POP

•  
manyhats

Just a pure guess but could it be rebuilding the stores? How much email do you have? Oh and what is the hardware?

Working with another person we found that you can't run Kerio for 80 people on a single core ATOM 1.6G/1Gig "low wattage server". Laughing (I had figured that ahead of time but that is what he had at his disposal...)
  •  
MacLab

check the logs it should show you what it's doing.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
benjalamelami

Of all logs, which one, from the error log, there isnt much evidence of anything. The warning logs doesnt tell much either apart from the usual logs of someone missing the correct user name and such.

Maybe the debug, but it is so vast, that It would be nice to have an idea before exploring that ocean.
  •  
benjalamelami

Its running a VM machine on a xeon 2,8 GHz 12 core. I have assigned 4 GB to the VM and two cores to it.

•  
stepman

Hi!

Same problem here with version 7.4 and 7.4.1. After some hours mail server process goes up to 100 percent of cpu usage. Never happened before. Now I have to restart Kerio Connect manually. Host system is Debian 6 at a real dual core server with 3.2 GHz and 8 GB of memory. Normally this task never reached ten percent of cpu usage.

I checked all log files but I don't find any helpful entries.

Gerald
  •  
tomjac

I am also experiencing extremely high CPU usage (over 100%, and as high as 300%). This seems to occur after the server has been running for some time. After the update to 7.4.1 the problem went away for several days, but now it's happening again.

My OS is CentOS 5.8. When the problem occurs Kerio cannot be stopped by:
sudo /etc/init.d/kerio-connect stop

Instead, I have to kill the process and all its subprocesses. I am reluctant to contact Kerio because I don't feel like paying $80 for something that is probably a bug in the their software (but how would I prove that?)
  •  
stepman

Hi!

Try to rebuild the search index of all mailboxes. Afters this I don't have a high cpu usage since three days. Still observing the problem ...

Gerald
  •  
garetjax

Good afternoon. Per chance, do you have the full text option enabled (the default is disabled)?
  •  
tomjac

garetjax: I do have the full text option enabled. Might this be the problem?
  •  
garetjax

Tomjac,

The initial generation of the full text search index (available since 7.3.0) is fairly disk/CPU intensive. If your Kerio box is already pretty loaded with mail processing, the indexing can make the situation worse as both processes are competing for disk access to the same platters. Kerio quotes an indexing rate of 2GB of message store per hour and can not be stopped once started.
  •  
tomjac

Here are the Kerio-related processes and their CPU utilizations. Note that FullTextServer is only using .1% but mailserver is using 179%. Is this an indication that full text search is not the culprit?

25511 root 179 % /opt/kerio/mailserver/mailserver /opt/kerio/mailserver
25534 root 0.6 % /opt/kerio/mailserver/plugins/spamserver 43 48
25556 root 0.1 % /opt/kerio/mailserver/plugins/spamserver 43 50
25579 root 0.1 % jre/bin/java -jar FullTextServer.jar -p 4041
  •  
garetjax

Tomjac,

The high load from the indexing is only seen when the index is initially being created. After the initial grind through the message store, the full text search engine should use very little CPU like you are seeing.
  •  
Kerio@Herrmannsdorfer

Hi,

we are observing a similar issue: One day after an update from 7.3.2 to 7.4.1 the mailserver process starts eating all our cores. Average load on the machine is now non-stop at 40-50 %. Before the update it was 5-10 %. Does Kerio rebuild the search index after an update? Our store is 100 GB and with an indexing rate of 2 GB/h according to the manual that would take 50 hours. That date has long passed. The index status in the admin console looks good. There is nothing obviously wrong in the logs.

Any suggestions where debugging should start?

Xserve, Mac OS 10.5.8

--
Rolf
Kerio@Herrmannsdorfer

Hi,

we are observing a similar issue: One day after an update from 7.3.2 to 7.4.1 the mailserver process starts eating all our cores. Average load on the machine is now non-stop at 40-50 %. Before the update it was 5-10 %. Does Kerio rebuild the search index after an update? Our store is 100 GB and with an indexing rate of 2 GB/h according to the manual that would take 50 hours. That date has long passed. The index status in the admin console looks good. There is nothing obviously wrong in the logs.

Any suggestions where debugging should start?

Xserve, Mac OS 10.5.8

--
Rolf
Previous Topic: Kerio Connect 7.4.3 release
Next Topic: BES 5.0.3 KC 7.2 Users not getting pulled into BES
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 23:31:20 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00592 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.