Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Will workspace 2.0 replace Dropbox?
  •  
willoneal

Send a private message to this user
How good/fast is Worplace's synchronization feature? Will it replace dropbox?
  •  
BudDurland

Our testing of version 2 showed that the sync worked pretty well. Compared to drop box, it does have the advantage that you can synchronize any folder you want, not just the "dropbox" folder and it's subs. Having said that, I would also mention that we did not test using very big (>20MB) files. Also, using Workspace as simple file storage may not be the best application of the technology -- kind of like swatting flies with a hammer. Remember, Workspace will make a preview of uploaded files. This will affect both performance & storage usage. I think if I needed a DropBox replacement, I'd look at another alternative.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
styson

I believe previews are rendered on the fly not when a file is uploaded. Files are indexed for search if the format is supported when they are uploaded.

Workspaces isn't meant to be a DropBox replacement. However the file syncing capability has finally enabled us to replace our remote file server which uses Jungledisk workgroup with Workspaces. Some people will use the sync feature because they are very file driven but most will access files directly from Workspaces. Over time we are moving away from the traditional "create a word doc for that" and leverage as much of what Workspaces has to offer for information sharing. We look at it this way. If you create a page in Workspaces that contains what used to be in a word document there is no need for dropbox since everyone can access it via a browser, tablet or phone. For documents that are delivered directly to clients, partners, or are in formats not conducive to Workspaces such as Visio drawings, mail merges, complex spreadsheets, etc. we create traditional documents and then drop them into a file library in Workspaces. It's not a silver bullet but Workspaces can be applied to a great many use cases. Just be smart how you apply it and understand what it can and cannot do.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 June 2012 21:34]

•  
GlennK

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has tried syncing huge folders and many folders. I think that potentially it could be a DropBox replacement for a business. Some users would go to the web page to reference, others might sync to a specific subset of folders etc.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 November 2012 19:15]

•  
Stanislav Kolar (Kerio)

Hello,

we (I mean the Workspace Desktop Client team) made many changes in the sync algorithm to make syncing as efficient as possible, so in the upcomming 2.1 version it shouldn't be a problem to sync thousands of folders and files.
  •  
BudDurland

Hoping that one of the improvements is being able to specify the client-side folders for sync. We have a set of documents that we'd love to sync, but can't because by the time we get to the end node of the library, the resulting folder name is > 300 characters.

--Mammy Yokum
  •  
Stanislav Kolar (Kerio)

If possibility to move the root "Kerio Workspace" sync folder to a different location is enought for you (is it?), it should be possible. To allow to sync folders located anywhere on disk without any common root isn't so easy because of the current Workspace principle.
  •  
GlennK

Stanislav Kolar (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 26 November 2012 08:48
in the upcomming 2.1 version it shouldn't be a problem to sync thousands of folders and files.

That's great. In the meantime I'm working with a client that is using Dropbox to sync just over 200GB of data across 30+ workstations. Do you think this would be possible with Workspace 2.01 without the world ending? I'm hoping it can be used more efficiently so all users will not opt to sync the whole 9 yards but I have to consider worse case.
  •  
BudDurland

Stanislav Kolar (Kerio) wrote on Tue, 27 November 2012 04:15
If possibility to move the root "Kerio Workspace" sync folder to a different location is enought for you (is it?), it should be possible. To allow to sync folders located anywhere on disk without any common root isn't so easy because of the current Workspace principle.

Certainly a step in the right direction. Ideally, it would be nice to be able to also assign a "local folder name" to a file library. For example, on our KWS, we have a workspace for ISO documents. Generally, there's a sub-workspace for each department, then 4 pages one each of those. We purposely make the page titles long enough to be very evident. When setting up local sync, we've run into the issue of folder/file names that exceed the Windows limit.

It would be cool if I could set the root KWS sync folder to "C:\KWSSYNC". Then, if I have a file library in "ISO Documents > Deco > Revision Under Draft", when I choose "sync to my computer", I get prompted for a folder name. This is a single folder name, no drive or nested folders; "DecoDrafts" for example. Files from that library now sync to "C:\KWSSYNC\DecoDrafts" instead of "C:\Users\bud\Kerio Workspace\File Library (Revision Under Draft - Deco - ISO Documents)"

Just a thought

--Mammy Yokum
Previous Topic: Port conflict with Kerio Connect
Next Topic: Way for an administrator to set a user's profile photo
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 07:40:16 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00464 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.