Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio 7.5 Beta/Sophos (Clarification from kerio)
  •  
zebby

Send a private message to this user
I notice that in the release notes for Kerio 7.5 you say that you are dropping third party AV plug ins and that we should all use the built in Sophos AV.

What about if you use Sophos as your third party AV? Would I be correct in assuming that you are dropping support for this also?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

External Sophos anti-virus was replaced with integrated version in 2010. Customers with external Sophos were advised that after their subscription to Sophos ends they should migrate to integrated version. External Sophos anti-virus support has been discontinued a year ago, in July 2011
  •  
zebby

OK cool, I don't recall ever seeing that news.
  •  
dougk

I'm looking for clarification that the "included" Sophos means that we will not have to buy any additional licensing. We currently run Kerio Connect on a Linux server using ClamAV and are completely happy with this solution. Being forced to pay for something else would not please me, or my superiors.
  •  
zebby

We're in the process of renewing now with the integrated AV and it does cost more - £3 extra on the server plus an extra 60p per user.
  •  
Kedar

dougk wrote on Wed, 27 June 2012 16:46
I'm looking for clarification that the "included" Sophos means that we will not have to buy any additional licensing. We currently run Kerio Connect on a Linux server using ClamAV and are completely happy with this solution. Being forced to pay for something else would not please me, or my superiors.

For your information, I'm forwarding the post from the betatesting forum. Please do not ask me now for technical details.

Quote:
Hi all,

I can personally imagine that those of you who use an external anti-virus plug-in could be annoyed by our decision. I really understand it. But you can believe me that all our decisions including this one are based on our philosophy: Quality, Simple, Stable, Secure, SMB, Channel. Exclusive Sophos support completely meets this philosophy. Due to the partnership with Sophos we are able to provide our customers (from SMB) with the best anti-virus solution for their emails. The reason is that all staff (Sophos DLL, API, avir db, ...) are in our hands. The solution can be precisely developed and tested.

On the other hand the external anti-virus plug-ins cause some trouble. We are still the only developer of all anti-virus plug-ins (except of Dr. Web) but we need the API for 3rd party anti-virus software. This API is usually changed with the new anti-virus versions. We have to fix it in our plug-in and of course test it with all supported anti-virus versions. It is very time-consuming. Also it sometimes happens that the anti-virus vendor needs to change or release a new version very quickly. In such cases we are not able to react as fast as necessary to support the latest version. Furthermore installation and configuration wouldn't be as easy as with the all-in-one solution. And what about the case that some virus passes through to your email client? Whose mistake is it? In Connect or in the anti-virus software? I believe that users don't want to be concerned with that. IMHO for all these reasons the external anti-virus support doesn't meet our philosophy anymore.

Last but not least, another argument for canceling external anti-virus support is the fact that ClamAV - the most popular external antivirus plug-in is used on less than 2% of all Kerio Connect servers.

Good news for you could be the message that we have decided to publish a-vir API and release the ClamAV plug-in as an open source. It should enable you in cooperation with open source community in using of ClamAV plug-in together with our products in future. It is also good opportunity with our API to develop a new plug-in for anti-virus sw that you prefer. The a-vir API should be available on our Developer Zone by year's end.

At the end I would like to also assure you that we will continue in offering our products both with and without Sophos anti-virus.

Best regards,
Zdenek Samuel
QA manager
Kerio Technologies
Previous Topic: Built-In Sophos Misses Trojan
Next Topic: ICS reply content missing
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 06:49:10 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.