Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » When user quota is exceeded, how long are messages queued?
  •  
mj

Send a private message to this user
Probably a simple question but I couldn't find it documented anywhere. Obviously, when a user's mailbox quote has been reached delivery is suspended and the users get a warning message informing them thusly. The Kerio logs indicate that delivery has not been aborted but delayed:

Quote:
[20/Jun/2012 09:31:45] Sent: Queue-ID: 4fe17c5f-0007094b, Recipient: <user<_at_>company.com>, Result: delayed, Status: 4.2.2 User quota exceeded

The message also shows up in Kerio's mail queue with status "4.2.2 user quota exceeded". The question is: for how long does Kerio try to deliver this message? How many hours, days, or weeks does a users who's exceeded his or her quota have before the message gets dumped, never to be delivered?

[Updated on: Wed, 20 June 2012 09:39]

•  
TorW

In my experience it uses the same settings as the outbound queue. Look in Configuration -> SMTP Server -> Queue Options in the admin console. This value is traditionally set to 4 or 5 days, although you could probably get away with a shorter time because of Kerio's linear retry schedule.
  •  
mj

Thanks. Is that an assumption or did you try to find out how long it's being queued?

All I was able to find out is that Kerio retries to deliver the message every 30 minutes but I haven't had the possibility yet to figure out whether or not the setting you've mentioned has any influence on the hold-back time. In theory it shouldn't because we're talking about local folder delivery here, not remote MTA delivery.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2012 10:13]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

The setting controls the message queue for any delivery (ie. it is valid for both MTA and MDA).
  •  
MESB

But this is awesome hole for dos attack.
On my old installation of qmail it was same problem. It receive message in queue even if user quota reached and send DSN about. So if default few days for queue is set, it's easy to eat all free space with mail that have size near whole server mail size limit.
So even if you set size limits everywhere, it's still possible to stop mailservice.

Why not add checkbox for rejecting mail with 45x codes after data command and body sending?

I this case server can check whether user have free space in it's mailbox and just remove big message from queue without any danger for itself, and 45x code just tells another mailserver just try later.
Previous Topic: Add additionnal user ?
Next Topic: Web API
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 08:14:14 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00442 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.