Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrate to MS Exchange (Migrating from Kerio to MS Exchange)
  •  
rensdg

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We have migrated to Kerio about 4 months ago, all seemed to be fine during the trial besides a few roadbumps that were solved during the trial.

No after a few months the users for the organisation have been complaining over and over about crashing outlook, slow connection to the mail server, calender issues, synchronization of mailboxes (group boxes) most of the time dreadfull slow and not synching at all!

Now the question that I got can we migrate back to exchange...

We wer running a windows environment that was replaced for a full Mac environment.

We run Kerio on a Mac Pro 256 flashdisk and a 1 TB disk with 16GB RAM.

Kerio is basically the only server app running on this mac.

What would the procedure be for migrating back to Exchange? (I will set up a new server for this).

thanks for any input.

Rens
  •  
dominic@cbx.com

You've fully given up on solving any issues with Kerio Connect; i.e. not interested in participating in any diagnosis or solution?
  •  
rensdg

dominic<_at_>cbx.com wrote on Fri, 13 July 2012 14:49
You've fully given up on solving any issues with Kerio Connect; i.e. not interested in participating in any diagnosis or solution?

We have been looking at everything, checking the complete network and servers, we have been going through every single log file.
The support is... what can I say instead of helping out customers they only work through policies and resellers, the reseller I have hands everything over to Kerio and then we'll have to sit and wait.

We do not want to wait any longer...
I have hired an external consultant to investigate, he couldn't find anything wrong with our setup.
He knew the problems he has experienced the problems himself but shook his head and said I cannot do anything for you...

so yes we gave up...
  •  
dominic@cbx.com

does your kerio install pull its users from a directory (open directory/active directory/ldap) or all they all local accounts?
  •  
garetjax

Rens

So more details about your environment would go a long way in helping diagnose your problems. Useful information would include:

Your Connect server specs - OS, Connect version, HW, Disk Configuration (RAID, SAS or SATA, etc.)
Your client specs - OS, mail client, etc.
Your network environment
Number of clients connecting to Connect including PCs, smart phones, etc.
  •  
sedell

Rens isn't looking for help diagnosing the problem. He's already gone through that process and been stung by the new support policies. It left a bad taste and his mind is made up to move on before he gets stung again. If you really want to help, stop trying to diagnose the problem and answer his question.

Rens - I wish I could help, but I don't know the procedure. Good luck with your endeavor.

Scott
  •  
dominic@cbx.com

Anyway. I dont believe there is a shortcut here - like the way kerio provides an exchange to connect migration strategy. So then the procedure would be something like:
1. Setup exchange on another computer.
2. Recreate user accounts and groups - hopefully you have a directory server.
3. Configure mail clients to access both servers via imap or exchange.
4. Copy messages and folders from one account to another using the client software.
5. Reconfigure DNS/MX IPs to use the exchange server and cut over when the server is slow.

•  
rensdg

dominic<_at_>cbx.com wrote on Fri, 13 July 2012 15:08
does your kerio install pull its users from a directory (open directory/active directory/ldap) or all they all local accounts?

I still have my old windows environment running with AD up and running and Exchange up and running (on a different network)

The apple users have OD accounts and thes OD accounts are imported to Kerio..
  •  
rensdg

garetjax wrote on Fri, 13 July 2012 18:49
Rens

So more details about your environment would go a long way in helping diagnose your problems. Useful information would include:

Your Connect server specs - OS, Connect version, HW, Disk Configuration (RAID, SAS or SATA, etc.)
Your client specs - OS, mail client, etc.
Your network environment
Number of clients connecting to Connect including PCs, smart phones, etc.

No diagnostics, I have paid all license fees, now I just want support on migrating back after 4 months...
  •  
rensdg

dominic<_at_>cbx.com wrote on Fri, 13 July 2012 20:43
Anyway. I dont believe there is a shortcut here - like the way kerio provides an exchange to connect migration strategy. So then the procedure would be something like:
1. Setup exchange on another computer.
2. Recreate user accounts and groups - hopefully you have a directory server.
3. Configure mail clients to access both servers via imap or exchange.
4. Copy messages and folders from one account to another using the client software.
5. Reconfigure DNS/MX IPs to use the exchange server and cut over when the server is slow.

That would indeed be a procedure but then I am looking into a migration of about 4 days... mailstore is about 200 GB...

you think I can do it keeping the kerio live (as archive perhaps?)
and let new mail flow through exchange?

•  
dominic@cbx.com

Problem is, Connect stores mail in a normal filesystem and exhange uses a database (like) storaage. If you want to consolidate back on exchange, you can't just move the messages as you might with other software, you need to import them into the database.

You could run both side by side I suppose, depending I how your clients are configured and DNS is setup. Say you have mail1.yourdomain.com as exchange and mail2.yourdomain as kerio connect. As long as you've got exchange configured as the MX then all new mail flows through it, and the old mail can live in kerio, and users can access via secondary account on their mail client. Then you could take your time moving messages back into exchange.

The only problem with this is if your users check email through MS Outlook - which ssd orang handle multiple email accounts particularly gracefully, especially two exchange-type accounts.

•  
rensdg

dominic<_at_>cbx.com wrote on Fri, 13 July 2012 21:40

You could run both side by side I suppose, depending I how your clients are configured and DNS is setup. Say you have mail1.yourdomain.com as exchange and mail2.yourdomain as kerio connect. As long as you've got exchange configured as the MX then all new mail flows through it, and the old mail can live in kerio, and users can access via secondary account on their mail client. Then you could take your time moving messages back into exchange.

The only problem with this is if your users check email through MS Outlook - which ssd orang handle multiple email accounts particularly gracefully, especially two exchange-type accounts.

I think I will keep the kerio live as an archive, the only thing I that I won't be able to append to the archive as the kerio migrator only migrates full mailboxes.

Or...

I can do it using my cleanport to have the mails delivered on both servers... one for archive... one for live.. (called cleanport.. no go...

during the past weekend Kerio gave me hell again, 3 mailboxes just gone... in fact the mailboxes were there on the disk but the user accounts were just gone... so needed to import the three accounts again from OD and then they were connected to the mailbox on the disk again automatically.... this is the fourth time this happened, every time with different mailboxes...

[Updated on: Mon, 16 July 2012 10:23]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

rensdg wrote on Mon, 16 July 2012 10:12

during the past weekend Kerio gave me hell again, 3 mailboxes just gone... in fact the mailboxes were there on the disk but the user accounts were just gone... so needed to import the three accounts again from OD and then they were connected to the mailbox on the disk again automatically.... this is the fourth time this happened, every time with different mailboxes...

This indicates the problem is probably in your OpenDirectory server (LDAP extensions, replicas, Time Machine etc.) rather than in Kerio Connect.
  •  
rensdg

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 16 July 2012 10:32
rensdg wrote on Mon, 16 July 2012 10:12

This indicates the problem is probably in your OpenDirectory server (LDAP extensions, replicas, Time Machine etc.) rather than in Kerio Connect.

YESS I think you are right! that is exactly what the consultant said...

Untill he checked my complete OD... that was the point when he shook his head (see earlier post) because there was nothing to find...
macti

FYI, I have a customer (who is also my ex-employer) who have to move from Kerio to Exchange for various reasons. I did some migration tests and the best path that I found was to use imapsync (open source command line tool) to copy the mail, and for calendars and contacts, I'm writing a migration tool (in Java) that fetches the events and tasks by CalDAV and copy them to Exchange by Exchange Web Services (SOAP) and fetches contacts by CardDAV to again copy them to Exchange with EWS.
Previous Topic: Active Directory authentication problem
Next Topic: Spam Headers: False Positve
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Aug 22 18:51:52 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00533 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.