Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » the stability of Kerio Connect VMware Virtual Appliance
  •  
iamcj

Send a private message to this user
Does anyone has the experience of the stability of Kerio Connect VMware Virtual Appliance?

I'm considerring transfer from Windows to vA.

For example, over 100+ users, 400g+ capacity.

Kerio's own email server is running in VA?
  •  
iamcj

•  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Kerio Connect is identical version as on-premise and in virtual appliance. There is no difference. And both are stable.

Yes, Kerio and lot of our customers run mailserver in VA without problems.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
iamcj

Thanks, will consider it seriously.
  •  
Waco1

I've been running KC on VMWare ESXi 4.2 for years now.

I've rebooted 5 times for updates: twice for KC upgrades, three times for OS (Ubuntu 9.04) updates.

Try to keep an Exchange box up for a year *and* secure.

I have a test box running ESX 5-update1. It has some nice features, and appears to be as solid as 4.2.

It works fine, and it's exactly as solid as your server's hardware and incoming utilities.
  •  
My IT Indy

If you run in a VM, you need to have fast storage that isn't getting hammered by other VM's. Consider 10 or 15K disks vs. 7200 rpm.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Waco1

HoosierMac wrote on Mon, 23 July 2012 12:36
If you run in a VM, you need to have fast storage that isn't getting hammered by other VM's. Consider 10 or 15K disks vs. 7200 rpm.

Maybe if you're running 2,500 users; 7200RPM drives are fine for a few hundred users as long as you avoid OSes with inherently high overhead and poor I/O performance.

200 users runs fine alongside a normal multi-hosting (six sites) web server VM, a Windows 2008R2 VM for Blackberry Ent., and a busy Docs-Mgmt VM - all using the same 7200RPM SAS RAID5 array.

You should spring for a buffering RAID controller to do that, but that's just a few hundred bucks extra, and you could always get by with RAID10.

Our email server benchmarks 3.1GB/s (write) in burst mode, and 1.1GB/s (write) sustained. That will handle more users than I have, and I like that! The Win2K8 server doesn't get performance anywhere near that, but it's still enough to run 100 users or so.
  •  
etieseler

I'll agree with what others have already said. I run the Linux server virtualized, and its been that way for 6+ years. No issues what-so-ever. So as long as the virtual appliance has enough hard drive, RAM, and CPU for your environment, then it will be fine.

As others have also mentioned, of course, is your infrastructure. Nothing will run well virtualized if your infrastructure is poor. If your storage is too slow, or too small, you will have problems. If you have too few ESX hosts for the number of VM's and their load, you will have problems. If you have too little RAM, you will have problems, if your Network is not strong enough, you will have problems. If your CPU's are too old or you don't have enough cores... yes, you will have problems.

The key to a successful virtualization implementation is the infrastructure you are running it on. It must be sized correctly, and you really should have the redundancy and power to make sure everything can run without bottlenecks, and can remain up after a failure of any component.

We were an early adopter of VMware, and its been a fun ride over the years convincing vendors that their product will run on a VM and optimizing VMs and software to run on VMs.

Enjoy your Virtual Appliance, you will love it, and it will work as long as its sized for your work load.

-Eduard Tieseler
  •  
Charles B

First, it looks like the others have not actually addressed your question as to the Virtual Appliance(VA). Everyone is saying that it is ok to run it as a VM. So to actually answer your question I run the Kerio Connect Virtual Appliance, and while I wouldn't exactly call it stable, it is no less stable than Kerio Connect on any other platform, and I think it is more stable than running it on Windows. I can't actually prove it is more stable, because I didn't run on Windows very long, but that was my impression.

That being said, I DO NOT recommend the Kerio Virtual Appliance, at least for anyone who desires long term stability. If you want a quick way to just experiment with Kerio Connect, it works great for that purpose, but you'll regret using it as a production mail server.

I concur with others that virtualizing KC works fine as long as you give it appropriate resources. However, based on my experience using Kerio's VA, I strongly suggest rolling your own virtual server based on whatever supported flavor of Linux you prefer (I like Ubuntu LTS server, ymmv).

The reason I don't suggest the VA, is because Kerio refuses to support it. I used up one of my support tickets finding this out. Even though they provide a customized OS in their VA, they provide no upgrade or update path from older versions to newer. The support position is that they don't provide the OS (even though they do) so it us up to the customer to deal with it. In my case, I wanted the new feature in 7.4 that allowed "include enabling remote Secure Shell (SSH) access to the virtual appliance server" without having to go to the command line. Unfortunately, Kerio support's method for getting that new feature is to download the newer VA, Install and configure it, then copy the the email store from the current server to the new one and make it the current server.

You can install updates to Kerio Connect. You can manually install Debian updates. But if you want the updated Kerio management console....nope. Hardly what I call "supported".

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Could you send me a ticket number? I would like to review that. Thank you.
Kerio Console app can be upgraded as a .deb package and there is no need to install new VA for this.
  •  
Charles B

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Tue, 31 July 2012 16:15
Could you send me a ticket number? I would like to review that. Thank you.
Thank you Pavel for being willing to look into it, but I'm afraid I don't know it. I used to be able to check the Kerio support portal at HTTP://support.kerio.com/index.php to look at all my open and closed tickets (averaging less than one per year btw). Now there is no way to tell what is going on with support tickets--but that's a different rant. All I can tell you is I think it was early May, and was entirely covered in a single phone call with no follow up needed so I don't even have an email record of it.

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Tue, 31 July 2012 16:15

Kerio Console app can be upgraded as a .deb package and there is no need to install new VA for this.

If you could back that statement up with a link or something, that would be great. I just spent several fruitless minutes digging for it on the Kerio website downloads areas. All I can find is the whole 238MB Kerio program .deb package. No sign of or search hit of any console app .deb as far as I can tell. Apparently my search skills need an upgrade.

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
Previous Topic: Nokia Lumia 710, Lumia 800 with Kerio connect 7.4.0?
Next Topic: Kerio Connect, Backup on NAS, error 53
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 07:41:08 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00540 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.