Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » LDAP settings for Open Directory server
  •  
fishtech

Send a private message to this user
The following works for me for Snom phones connecting to my 10.6 Open Directory Server. (I modified info from here: http://forum.snom.com/index.php?showtopic=946 )

LDAP name filter: (&(telephoneNumber=*)(|(givenname=%)(cn=%)(sn=%)))
LDAP number filter: (|(|(telephoneNumber=%)(Mobile=%))(&(apple-phonecontacts =PhoneContact:%)(cn=*)))
Server Address: od.mycompany.com
Port: 389
Base: dc=od,dc=mycompany,dc=com
Username: uid=anldapuser,cn=users,dc=od,dc=mycompany,dc=com
Password: XXXX
Max. Hits: 50
LDAP name attributes: cn sn givenname
LDAP number attributes: Pager Mobile telephoneNumber
LDAP display name: %givenName %sn

I created a specific user called 'anldapuser' with limited permissions on the server so the users don;t have to mess in here.

Does anyone know if I can get a field called 'Extn' into OD?

Right now I am using the 'telephoneNumber' field for extensions which just seems clunky.

Thanks,

ft.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 July 2012 22:26]

•  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi

Great example, thank you!

Quote:
Does anyone know if I can get a field called 'Extn' into OD?

Right now I am using the 'telephoneNumber' field for extensions which just seems clunky.

To be honest, we do exactly the same thing in Operator. We use the "telephoneNumber" field for storing extension numbers as well. AFAIK you can create a new field in the Directory Services and use it for your phones, but it's currently not possible to change the field name in Kerio Operator.

Best
Filip
  •  
blswjames

Quote:
... AFAIK you can create a new field in the Directory Services and use it for your phones ...

Has anyone out there found any documentation on how to do this? While operator would ignore it, it would still be fabulous to know how to add an attribute to OD so that LDAP supported phones can still provide this feature that many users expect nowadays.

I imagine that an another alternative (potentially better) solution would be to provide some documentation for Kerio Connect's LDAP schema so that user's phones could be configured to pull contact data from their personal (and possibly even global) Kerio contacts. While no one expects Kerio to try and provide instructions for every possible brand of phone, it would be immensely helpful to at least cover the attributes of their own LDAP product.

Any Kerio folks out there monitoring this forum?

•  
blswjames

Another work-around I have tried and seems to work ok is to use the "Pager" field for the user extension, and then configure the phone to ignore all the other phone fields. This is fine if you just want internal users and extensions listed in the phone's LDAP search results.

To do this, I simply modified a few fields from fishtech's (very useful, thank you) post:

LDAP name filter: (&(Pager=*)(|(givenname=%)(cn=%)(sn=%)))
LDAP number filter: (|(Pager=%)(&(apple-phonecontacts =PhoneContact:%)(cn=*)))
LDAP number attributes: Pager

(The rest as stated above)

In Workgroup Manager, add the phone extension to the users you plan to include and set its type to "Pager".

The result is users can look up other users by name and hit the call button to call the extension. While still somewhat "hackish" in that we're using the pager field for storing non-pager numbers, it's the easiest way that I can see to make it work without extending OD's schema and still keeping the main phone/mobile numbers intact for other applications that use them (i.e. Address Book).

P.S.: Also, I've found that for company contacts that only have mobile phones, I can store their mobile number (with dial out prefix added) to this "Pager" field and get the same effect. (i.e. 92065551234)

[Updated on: Wed, 27 March 2013 19:05]

•  
fishtech

Sorry I can't answer your question.... we are still using telephoneNumber.

But, since you mention adding a '9' prefix in OD for cellphone numbers...

Is there any way to get the '9' prefix to show for cellphones when Operator accesses the LDAP OD, but not when Kerio Connect accesses the OD LDAP?

The reason is we set up iPhone to access LDAP OD via Kerio Connect as an office directory. iPhones do not need a '9' prefix. But our desktop phones do.

A while back I tried monkeying with

Quote:
(|(|(telephoneNumber=%)(Mobile=%))(&(apple-phonecontacts =PhoneContact:%)(cn=*)))

to see if I could add a 9 prefix at this point, but I could not make it happen.

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
blswjames

"Quote"
Is there any way to get the '9' prefix to show for cellphones when Operator accesses the LDAP OD, but not when Kerio Connect accesses the OD LDAP?

AFAIK, this is not possible in this scenario. Kerio Operator can manipulate the calling string by trimming and prefixing characters, but since the Phone and LDAP link bypasses Kerio Operator, I don't see a clear way to do that.

Which is precisely why I decided to devote the "Pager" field for this purpose rather than use telephoneNumber. I leave the "normal" phone number as is because it might be used on iPhone or given to others in the form of a vCard, etc. But I add an extra number with type "Pager" so that it can be used exclusively by our IP desk phones. Our SNOM phone LDAP settings are configured to ignore all but name and pager number. Other devices and users still see the original phone and mobile fields.

I chose to use the pager field because we don't have any pagers in our organization, and it was the only unused field I had to work with without modifying the LDAP schema. Keep in mind that a user storing a contact with a pager number in another system such as Kerio Connect (or even Exchange) has no effect on the data stored in OpenDirectory. The only exception being that the OD data does contribute to the "Public Contacts" in Kerio. So there you might see duplicate data (such as: Phone: (206) 555-1212, Pager: 212).

•  
fishtech

I didn't express myself correctly but i think you understood me.

Quote:

should have been

Quote:
Is there any way to get the '9' prefix to show for cellphone numbers when Snom phones accesses the LDAP OD, but not when Kerio Connect accesses the OD LDAP?

Thanks for the info,

ft.
Previous Topic: General Voicemailbox?
Next Topic: Queue problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 03:35:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00431 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.