Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Veterans, I beg your input
  •  
reverent

Send a private message to this user
We are currently running Exchange 2003 and we solely use Outlook Web Access (OWA) 2003 as our desktop mail client in a windows environment.

First question to the Kerio vets:
Although I have the demo and have the trial installed (working very well by the way, very impressed Shocked ) I am looking to see if there are any gotchas with using the only the web client as the desktop client. I realize the web client has limitations just like OWA so that is OK, but I just see so many people talking about outlook and saying the web client needs work. Is this just a preference thing? With outlook not free and having to run another piece of Kerio software to get it all working properly it seems like a lot of work to get a bit more functionality. What am I missing?

Second question to the Kerio vets:
We do have some iphones that are currently using imaps/smtps and I would like to use them with Kerio. What works the best to keep the calendars and contacts updated if we are only using the web client? Does active sync work reliably?

And in case anyone is wondering why we are evaluating Kerio, although I love powershell and I dont mind the CLI heaviness in Exchange 2010 in our test environment, the learning curve for the rest of my staff is is just too much. They need a gui and a way to feel around to figure out what they need to do. IMHO if MS would have released Exchange 2010 with powershell AND a GUI backup I wouldnt be looking for an alternative. I am so impressed with Kerio's administration I know I could take a vacation and everything will be OK.

Plus the possibility of delegating the entire messaging system to my assistants worth the migration by itself.

100 karma from me to you if you have any input. Thanks!
  •  
tonyswu

We don't use webmail in our environment, so can't answer question 1. Reg. question 2, ActiveSync work very well with iPhone/iPad and Kerio.
  •  
germanr

We have customers that only use Webmail and are happy. All webmails have less features than a full email client.
You can take a look at the Beta 4 of Kerio Connect 8 to see where it is going in a couple of months (major webmail changes).
The customers that we migrated from Exchange are very satisfied. Administration is way easier and migration was a breeze using Exchange migration tool.
On mobile devices (Android, iphone, ipads, etc) Activesync works out of the box flawlessly. Blackberry sync of contacts and calendars donĀ“t, and the Blackberry connector will be discontinued on next version (By the way BES is a headache).
Just one recommendation: Connect is not CPU and Memory intensive, but if you have lots of users go with fast drives (SAS 10k or 15k) as the disk speed is a key factor.
Regards

[Updated on: Sat, 04 August 2012 04:58]

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
mcholdings

We have 200+ people on webmail - on the whole they are mostly happy. It is a pretty good interface.

As mentioned by others, disk is the key consideration - with >200 users on linux, our server rarely broaches 4G RAM (way more allocated) and 500Mhz processor use (ours is in a VM environment).

When we first started we had way slower disks and all performance was terrible - even now for cost reasons the server is on 16K disks, but the mail store alone is just on 7200K disks (around 270G of mail) and it's pretty fast.

Devices - the iphone and android setup is dead easy, and works great. Occasionally sync starts to fail on iPads I've noticed, but you just reset the account on the device and it comes good. I've been using >6 months now and I have no problems, including using push.
  •  
reverent

Thanks for all the input guys. We are virtual with plenty of resources and utilize SSD's in our SAN so I think we will be good performance wise. I am happy to hear about the iphone/droid activesync working well and we are cloning our internal network/AD infrastructure to test the migration from exchange. If all goes well we should be ready to go in a couple months. I am very intereted to see how the web interface changes over this time so I'll grab the beta and decide if we want to wait for it to go live as I would rather not blitz my staff with another change so soon.

I appreciate the feedback!
  •  
Charles B

One of the gotchas I've found, is that webmail users don't have a way to right-click and send to email recipient, or send to webmail from programs such as acrobat reader. With Outlook or Thunderbird the send-to-mail-recipient process opens a new email with the document attached. When I was playing around with it, I was able to get webmail to open, but not to attach the document automatically.

germanr wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 20:57
On mobile devices (Android, iphone, ipads, etc) Activesync works out of the box flawlessly.

That is sooo not true! Kerio's implementation with Android sync does not work with shared calendars. It doesn't work with shared contacts. It does not work with public folders other than public email folders. So, with Android you get no shared or public contacts, calendars, to-do lists, etc.

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
  •  
germanr

You are right. That extra features require another client on Android other from the free native client (such as Roadsync, Moxier, etc). The normal feature work out of the box (email, contacts, tasks, calendar, remote wipe). What I meant is that there is no need for middleware such BES in the case of Blackberries or other complicated stuff.

I have customers with Exchange and iphone that for example convert all emails from html to plain text when replying or other issues that I never had in Connect.

http://kb.kerio.com/article/how-to-configure-exchange-active -sync-account-on-android-device-883.html

[Updated on: Tue, 07 August 2012 22:31]

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Charles B wrote on Tue, 07 August 2012 22:08
That is sooo not true! Kerio's implementation with Android sync does not work with shared calendars. It doesn't work with shared contacts. It does not work with public folders other than public email folders. So, with Android you get no shared or public contacts, calendars, to-do lists, etc.

It's not like that. Correct statement is that Android's implementation of Activesync doesn't work with shared calendars and contacts.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
Previous Topic: Unclosed ghost connections?
Next Topic: Kerio 7.2 with iPhone 4.3 all contacts not syncing
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 10:14:43 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00468 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.