Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » My company is changing it's name..
  •  
buck_jones

Send a private message to this user
Hi

My company is changing its name. As a result, all of our email addresses will change as well.

I am using 36 of the 40 email accounts available.

The switch happens in a few weeks.

Here is my plan:

Point the new company domain MX records to the mail server now. No reason not to. The new domain is currently unused and unannounced.

Set up a cheap mail host and enter all of the current email accounts to forward to their new equivalent.
At zero hour point the old company domain MX record to the cheap forwarder mail host.

At zero hour, choose Edit Domain in KC administration. Rename old domain to new domain. Change end user email clients to reflect new name.

That's what I've come up with but I really don't know how or if it will work.

Some Questions:
When you change a domain's name in KC Admin does it change the domain for all the accounts, mailing lists etc?
When IMAP users connect after the switch will all of their old mail still be there? Under which name?
Do I even need the external mail host? Can I set up a new domain with the old name and use Aliases?

Any comments and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Kerio Connect 7.4.2 Mac Snow Leopard

Thanks!!
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

I recommend just disabling the SMTP server in Kerio Connect. When mailservers try to delivery to Kerio Connect they will receive a temporary rejection. Most mailserver will periodically keep trying to redeliver the mail over several days. This should be more then enough time to do the domain rename.

Alternately you could set up a trial version of Kerio Connect. Add the domain name but don't add any users. On the Forwarding tab, configure it to forward to the IP address of your main copy of Kerio Connect. Select either of the option for offline.

Keep it configured to offline until the domain rename has completed. Once the rename is done you can set it to online and the mail will be pushed to your main mailserver.

When you are ready to do the rename, configure your firewall to map port 25 to the new, temporary, copy of Kerio Connect.

The domain rename feature will automatically create an alias for the old domain name. It will rename all of the accounts and mailing lists. The users will see their old mail when they connect with their IMAP clients.

Your users may need to share and/or subscribe again to any shared personal folders.
  •  
Szundi

I think it would be easier if you just put the new Domain as an alias of the old Domain, when all of the DNS things have been done just rename the Domain and put in the old Domain Name as an alias.

This way all mailboxes are automatically there and there is not much administration. And even if some people still use the old domain, nothing is lost.
  •  
buck_jones

Thanks to both of you. Pardon me if I'm a bit thick..

How is mail sent to the old domain forwarded? When all is said and done If I have an alias of the new domain with the old name do I need to create each email account as an alias/forward too?

I am certainly going to set up a test server and run through this a few times..

Thanks
  •  
Szundi

Whe you create an Alias for a Domain all users have both email adresses (user@Domain1, user@Domain2), they use the same box and there is no need to forward it.
  •  
buck_jones

That is great!!!!
Thanks
  •  
suppertrupper

Hi

soon I'll have the same situation in our company

there is a Warning in the Kerio Manual
http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-domrenam e.html#tab-renamedomain

Warning
Any events created before renaming will not be available for editing or removing after application of the new name.

is this true, old events on 'calendar' can't be deleted by user, after the new Domain is active

do we need really export all events from ical for each user, delete the events on the server, and after rename the Domain, import the exported calendar dada in the new domain again ?

•  
gaselec

in case of renaming domains in Kerio Connect are all PUBLIC folders affected by the warning
'Any calendar events created before renaming will not be available for editing or
removing after application of the new name.'?
This is a major obstacle to my clients transition if so and we will have to think of a different way to achieve the domain swap over they need.

S G Baker GAS Electronic Systems Ltd
  •  
Silverstar

Hi folks,

any news on that?

I too have to change the primary Domain and we have many calendars in heavy use (both personal and public ones).

Do we have to do the export (before) and import (after) thing or ist this an old information?

Info: we are running KC 8.1.3 (1711).

Previous Topic: Error-Log "ASyncUtil.cpp: ActiveSyncContentProperty Error
Next Topic: Corresponding not receive mail when the sender sent from gmail pro
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 01:26:20 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.