Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Backup Process (Kerio Backup Process)
  •  
catoxpress

Send a private message to this user
We currently use the backup in Kerio Connect Admin to perform backups each night. We do a full on Saturday evening and incrementals throughout the rest of the week.

I check the log last this morning and our FULL is taking almost 24 hours to back up. Granted it is storing the backup files on a NAS appliance and not on the mail server, but 24 hours?! We have a total of 70 files of 2GB in size.

Does anyone else have similar backup issues or use a different method to back up their mail store?

Thanks for any suggestions.
  •  
meyer

We have a similar setup and it takes 10 1/2 hours for 40 files. I guess the NAS makes it even faster. The bottleneck could the performance of your Kerio server.
  •  
tonyswu

How is your Kerio mail stored? External drive? Internal driver? RAIDed?
  •  
catoxpress

Kerio mail is stored on SAN. Mail server is on VMWare. I think the bottleneck may be the transfer of files to the NAS. Has anyone used a different approach to backing up?
  •  
tonyswu

For us, Kerio Connect's built-in backup is actually our secondary backup. We use rsync to sync the store to an external drive every 3 hours, and then we use CrashPlan ProE to back up the cloned store on the external drive both off-site and to a file server on the LAN. We feel this is better, because a cloned store is available should a quick recovery is needed (say if SAN goes down), and because the actual backup is performed on the external drive it does not slow down the mail store performance.
  •  
luca67

We are having the same problem.
I opened a support issue to Kerio...only a lot of question but no answer at the moment.
For 250GB store our system spend about 35 hours!!!!

My server is a VSphere win 2003 R2 connected to a high performance SAN (NETAPP wit SAS 15K
We moved backup folder from a network share to our SAN but nothing change.
The problem started after we activated Sophos integrated AV but if I try to disable it noting change.

•  
hberm001

We use bacula, not the built-in backup, to backup the whole KerioConnect server. This takes 10 hours for 148gb (currently)
The server is a VM on vSphere 4 (esx4.1) with the datastore for the server hosted on a NAS (NFS share, 6 drive raid 10)
The backup is saved on an appliance on the local network (gigabit, raid5 over 3 sata drives)
It would be faster but we have backup compression turned on (provides 30% to 40% reduction in size of full backup)
  •  
dmiller528

We use Symantec System Recovery. Usually our Kerio server doubles as a file/AD server. SSR runs a backup of the whole server daily and incrementals every 6 hours. The great thing about SSR is when restoring we can view the file structure of the mail store and restore a single user's folder/subfolder.
  •  
gavind

Try Norton Ghost. It works for us.
  •  
Lisa Lyons (Kerio)

Hi, All

I would just like to point out that while all of the above are fine examples of how you can use other tools than the Kerio backup, please be aware that there is one thing our backup does that these cannot offer.

When you perform a backup using the Kerio Backup process, it will access each user's mailbox in turn, it will lock that mailbox (so it cannot be changed during the backup process), it will perform the backup, then unlock the mailbox.

This methodology ensures that nothing is changed during the process, which can be very important in preserving the state of your index files.

We have known rsync to work fairly well, as it is relatively quick.

I am not sure, however, of the safeguards that Norton Ghost and rsync can provide in terms of preservation of your indexes, so it may be best to stop the Kerio Connect/Mailserver service before doing these types of copy.

If, however, the index of a user does get corrupted, there are safeguards in Kerio that will rebuild that index, it may cause the user to be temporarily locked out however.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 April 2013 15:34]

Kerio Technical Support
Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
Tomislav

Please don't tell me you are seriously defending the 35 hour backup of 250GB as OK behaviour...
We have 17 hour backups as of v 8.01 (before it was 10-12) and that is just way too much time for a good program to run backup (of 120GB).

Any chance this will be fixed?
  •  
BudDurland

Lisa;

I agree with your logic regarding mailbox locking & etc. However, my real-world experience with Kerio Connect's backup and using KMSRecover to restore the data is that it can be relied on only about half the time. I've used these as they are Kerio's preferred tool to migrate a mail store to a new server or to a different operating system.

Most of the failures are of the "corrupted (zip) file; cannot continue" variety. I've used a variety of media for storing the backup files -- local hard disk, external USB, NAS via iSCSI. iSCSI seems fastest, but is not immune to trouble.

I will be moving our mail server to a new virtual machine in the next week or so. I will do a final incremental backup with KC, but the real migration will be:

run ROBOCOPY the day before to get the bulk of the mail store

On migration day, halt inflow of mail at our external spam filter

Run the final incremental backup fro mthe KC console

Shutdown KC mail services

run ROBOCOPY again to catch up. This will synchronize all sub-folders, and since the server is stopped, all files should be in a quiescent state. Indexes should come over and be correct.

Manually copy over .cfg, license, SSL files. I could also use
KMSRECOVER -m cfg,sslca,sslcert,license.

A question I just thought of: is "listing" mode of KMSRECOVER a good way to test that the entire backup archive can be read?

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
bandicootltd

I have just migrated from a dedicated software raid1 to a server with hardware raid10. Our old server did a full backup in about 26 hours in the end. The limiting factor was disk performance. The speed of the new server is much improved and will find out this weekend how fast the full backup takes. The mailstore is about 50 x 2Gb files.
  •  
Machete

bandicootltd wrote on Thu, 18 April 2013 10:04
I have just migrated from a dedicated software raid1 to a server with hardware raid10. Our old server did a full backup in about 26 hours in the end. The limiting factor was disk performance. The speed of the new server is much improved and will find out this weekend how fast the full backup takes. The mailstore is about 50 x 2Gb files.

For comparison- I have 48x2GB files in my backup - takes about 4 minutes a 2GB file, or roughly 3.5 hours. I'm on a software raid10.
Previous Topic: Archive folders list in webmail
Next Topic: Problems with ical and kerio Calendaring data empty
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 21:33:50 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00568 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.