Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » WLAN, DECT or Zoiper on iPod Touch?
  •  
fishtech

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We need to cover 100,000 square feet inside a building for 5 roaming, cordless extensions. We have the area covered with WiFi already.

I know there are some WLAN phones out there but is this technology any good? Technology does not seem to be evolving in this space and I can't find favorable reviews of any current hardware.

Snom M9r with DECT repeaters look promising but not available until Q4. And this may not cover the area we need.

Another option... I have installed Zoiper on a couple iPhones for testing. They hop onto the WiFI network and seem to work pretty well. But we have not stress-tested in all parts of the building yet. If this works out, iPod Touch with Zoiper might be the best option for these cordless users.

Has anyone been down this path?

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
silars

I've been going down this path, but not to that size. A lot will come down to the exact dimensions and line of sight. Most ranges take obstructions into consideration. It sounds like a manufacturing floor, so you may have noise issues to contend with.

From what I've researched, Wi-fi phones work well, but are duration limited. They just can't provide the talk time of the DECT devices. If I remember correctly, Wi-fi VoIP sets were in the 3 hour talk time range, where DECT can get 2-3 times that amount. Not to mention, Wi-fi phones are heavier and bigger than the DECT counterparts. I don't have the specifics, and my memory could be clouded a bit. It has been a bit since I looked. I was waiting on the M9r (and reviews) before doing more research. Polycom has a decent system as well that is quite expandable (but more expensive).

In the meantime, I've been playing with Bria on Android.
  •  
fishtech

silars wrote on Thu, 30 August 2012 18:00
A lot will come down to the exact dimensions and line of sight.

Agreed - that's why WLAN seems like a better option than DECT for us at this stage. I know we already have full wifi coverage from Airport base stations. We have roaming set up, so devices can automatically move from base station to base station without needing to be manually shifted.

I just did a walk-through the building with Zoiper on my iPhone, maintaining a conversation as I walked. I had a high-quality connection throughout the building and and could not find any deadspots.

Quote:
In the meantime, I've been playing with Bria on Android.

Yes Bria Looks nice.

For us, the free version of Zoiper does everything we need so we'll likely stick with that unless we hit a problem.

Next stage of testing is to get Zoiper on half a dozen volunteers' iPhones out there simultaneously to see if we can bog down the WLAN.

At this point it looks like I'll probably just buy Touch's instead of phones (if it works).

Thanks,

ft.
Previous Topic: Call queue, dynamic clients get calls before static
Next Topic: Voicemail-to-Email & Automated Rules
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 16 23:55:11 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00340 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.