Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Configuring BLF on Polycom phones.
  •  
Fyllm

Send a private message to this user
We have a multiple Polycom 650 and 550's we'd like to use BLF on; however, I have no idea if Operator supports it and how to go about configuring the handsets if it does. Any advise would be appreciated.

[Updated on: Fri, 31 August 2012 21:06]

•  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi,

configuring BLF on Polycoms is not as easy as with other brands. As far as I know, you have to modify the provisioning files to configure the buttons.

Unfortunately, we don't have any how-to yet.

Some more technical information can be found on the polycom website: http://support.polycom.com/global/documents/support/technica l/products/voice/Static_BLF_TB62475.pdf

Best,
Filip
  •  
Fyllm

Well, after a bit of a hiatus I managed to figure out how to at least get the basic BLF monitoring working on my handsets last week. My biggest problem now tho is that I can't figure out how to use BLF with directed call pickup for the extensions that my handset is monitoring.

According to the Polycom FAQ (see below) the string used for directed-call pickup must match the Asterisk features.conf entry for "pickupexten=".

http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/FAQ-Busy-Lamp-Field-for -SoundPoint-IP-supported-Phones-on-a/td-p/5671

This is a problem as the Call Pickup Room service seems to use this field instead; meaning that while I can set call.directedCallPickupString to "*8" in the provisioning file and be able to answer the monitored extension using BLF, I could potentially answer another call in the same ring group by accident.

This being said, is there anything else I can do to get BLF with directed call pickup working? I'm running SIP app 3.2.6 so I know my phones support it, I just can't figure out how to get them to play well with Operator. Sad
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi,

unfortunately, I got stuck on the same thing. I can't figure out how to use directed call pickup. It's only possible to pickup calls from a call pickup room.

For others, configuring BLF for Polycom phones is not that simple. The easiest way is to create a file "/var/tftp/0004f223510b-phone.cfg" with the following content.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<attendant
        attendant.resourceList.1.address="sip:10<_at_>192.168.12.91" attendant.resourceList.1.label="Ten"
        attendant.resourceList.2.address="sip:11<_at_>192.168.12.91" attendant.resourceList.2.label="Eleven"
/>
<call call.directedCallPickupMethod="legacy" call.directedCallPickupString="*8"/>

This will create two BLF buttons, however directed call pickup will not work. You have to use call pickup rooms instead.
  •  
Fyllm

Hi Filip,

I got the monitoring working too but the directed call pickup is really what I need. For my current setup using call pickup rooms could be a problem so I'd rather not have to do that if at all possible. Is there any reason why Operator has such problems with Polycom's? I know they're not exactly friendly to program but I've seen BLF on other Asterisk based systems work with them fine.
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi

I've spent hours trying to convince a Polycom phone to send the phone number for directed call pickup but I wasn't successful. The only howtos I've found were all using some sort of pickup groups. Neither of them allowed to chose which call to pickup when there was more than one incoming call.

Moreover, I found other people with similar problems:
http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/SoundPointIP-450-with-4 -0-1-13681-blf-working-but-direct-call/m-p/21576#M3132

It seems to me, that Polycom BLF is not Asterisk friendly.

Would you be so kind and tell me which Asterisk based system seems to work fine?

Filip
  •  
Fyllm

Filip,

After looking at that link you provided I had to go back and re-read some of Polycom's other FAQ's. Upon closer inspection it does appear most reference using some kind of pickup group in their config, but they're calling it directed-call pickup which is confusing and seems really misleading.

I did stumble upon some other articles referring to configuring extensions.conf and sip.conf a certain way in asterisk 1.6 for Polycom phones that don't seem to use ring groups. One particular article is linked below.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+presence (Scroll down)

This may not apply here at all as I'm still trying to grasp some of the programming fundamentals of Asterisk, but I figure I'd throw it at you and see what you think.

Anyway, thanks for your time with this.

- Phil
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi,

I don't know why, but somehow I assumed that we already have "notifycid=yes" set in sip.conf. After adding it to sip.conf the directed call pickup finally started to work Smile .

The change will be out in Operator 2.1.0 beta 2 and most likely in Operator 2.0.3 as well (in case it will be released).

Thanks for your help!
Filip
  •  
Fyllm

No problem, glad we could figure it out together. Smile

That said, when do you anticipate the next update (beta or otherwise) of Operator will be out? I'd like to demonstrate this function to a few clients of mine sometime down the road.

Also, would it work if I manually inserted the notifycid line in sip.conf myself on the current version of Operator or is that ill-advised?
  •  
jkovalick

Will this work with parked calls?
  •  
jkovalick

If BLF possible with 2.0.3 or do we need to wait for the next version?
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi

You can follow this guide, but it applies to Operator 2.1.0 and newer.

I haven't tried configuring the buttons for call parking.

Bes
Filip
Previous Topic: Dialing Outside Numbers & Extensions
Next Topic: Operator can't connect to the internet
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 17:37:02 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00543 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.