Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Best/quickest way to move message store
  •  
troywilliams

Send a private message to this user
I have a kerio connect server running on mac os x with a message store of around 55gb and I plan to move the store to an external RAID device this weekend.

I know what the "supported" way to move this is but I am considering using something like rsync or carbon copy cloner to move the data instead of restoring from backup using the kmsrecover tool.

Does anyone have any advice on doing this? I am really trying to minimize the downtime as much as possible.
  •  
tonyswu

I've done this a fair number of times:

1. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the store from internal destination to external drive.
2. Shut down Kerio Connect from System Preferences or command line. Once you are sure Kerio Connect is not running anymore, fire up Carbon Copy Cloner again and clone again. Since you already did a clone before, the second time will only clone the changed items, which will significantly shorten the time it takes to copy the files.
3. Once Carbon Copy Cloner is done, use a command line text editor (I use vi) to edit the mailserver.cfg file in /usr/local/kerio/mailserver, and change the mail store path. (detail information here: http://kb.kerio.com/article/how-do-i-move-kerio-connect-from -one-machine-to-another-or-change-operating-systems-360.html)
4. Fire up Kerio Connect and test.

Last time I did this, the store was close to 500GB, and the server was down only for about 20 minutes.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 September 2012 05:34]

•  
troywilliams

tonyswu, I read an earlier post where you thought CCC was corrupting some indexes. Was that resolved?

I am really leaning towards stopping the kerio engine and just ryncing with the following command rsync -aHv and keeping my fingers crossed.
  •  
tonyswu

Yeah, it was resolved. It turned out to be a problem from somewhere else. CCC in fact uses rsync, I believe.
  •  
troywilliams

I tried to do a test run of CCC but since the store directory has a perm of no access for anyone but the system I could not drill down that far to select it. I am testing rsync now. It has copied 32gb in about an hour.
  •  
tonyswu

Yeah, if you are using CCC you won't be able to select just the store. I usually just copied the whole thing and remove the unneeded parts later. But then again, you could just use rsync Smile
  •  
troywilliams

Ok so my trial run of the rsync copy took about 2 hrs. I then ran it again and it was just a few minutes so I am convinced that this may be the fastest solution.

I am really nervous that it might not be the safest. Is there any problem with things like calendars, contacts, active sync devices etc with this "live" method of store copy?
  •  
tonyswu

Not that I've run into before. Besides, you would do a rsync after stopping Connect server just to make sure everything is synced up, and that'll not be a "live" sync.
  •  
j.a.duke

troywilliams wrote on Wed, 05 September 2012 18:37
Ok so my trial run of the rsync copy took about 2 hrs. I then ran it again and it was just a few minutes so I am convinced that this may be the fastest solution.

I am really nervous that it might not be the safest. Is there any problem with things like calendars, contacts, active sync devices etc with this "live" method of store copy?

Troy,

I've used this method a few times with KMS/KC to move the bigger/faster storage and have had no trouble at all.

The important step is the shutdown of the mail server (as tonyswu outlined) then the final clone.

I usually clone the whole partition/disk on which the store resides (usually separate from the OS/Kerio disk). Not sure why CCC was giving you problems, but if rsynch is working, then stick with it.

Cheers,
Jon
Previous Topic: Resources and Webmail
Next Topic: Multiple SMTP relay best practices?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 10:30:59 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00959 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.