Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » backup and restore with rsync / Outlook does complete resync (Problems with EWS client (Outlook 2011 Mac))
  •  
fthomsen

Send a private message to this user
We are running Kerio Connect 7.4 in a clean installation of the Kerio virtual appliance on vmware hypervisor. We have about 65 clients and mostly all of them are using Outlook 2011 on MacOS 10.6, 10.7 oder 10.8. Our mailstore is about 700 GB.

We keep a copy of the mailstore folder with rsync as a backup and a "warm-spare". We did several test possible restore procedures, but we couldn't find a stable way to

a.) move the store folder AND
b.) prevent Outlook 2011 Mac from resyncing all mails

Here is one example:
1. downloaded a fresh copy of the kerio virtual appliance
2. standard configuration, just the admin account
3. configured Outlook 2011 client on Mac via kerios configuration assistant
4. imported some emails (eml files)
5. sync with the server
6. quit Outlook
7. stop kerio connect
8. rsync -a (only the store folder, same location, i.e. to "store 2")
9. edit mailserver.cfg, change pathes from "store" to "store2"
10. start kerio connect
11. launch Outlook

In our test environment Outlook brings up an error message "mailbox has changed" and does a complete resync of all mails and folders. Because this happens with all clients at the same time, the kerio server runs out of resources after a few minutes.

As far as we found out, it does not make any difference if using cp or rsnyc or the backup and restore mechanism from kerio.

Kerio Support says: "This looks more likely that this is an MS Outlook 2011 issue, and not a kerio one I'm afraid. the client is detecting that the mailbox has changed, its not kerio informing it of this since if you delete the MS identity from Outlook 2011 and reset it up, it all works."

Deleting and reconfiguring 65 Outlook identities and resyncing 700 Gigs is not an very practical option...

Is there anybody with other experience in such case?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Frank
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

You need to rsync whole kerio/mailserver directory, including all Kerio Connect configuration files, which contain unique server identifiers required by Outlook client.
  •  
fthomsen

The problem occures also if I don't move the mailserver directory at all. Just creating a new store folder without changing anything else brings up the Outlook error. See my example above under 8.
  •  
fthomsen

Ist it possible to copy the complete mailserver folder if moving to a different platform? MacOS -> CentOS
Or what folders do we have to copy? Other than described in KB article
how-do-i-move-kerio-connect-from-one-machine-to-another-or-c hange-operating-systems-360.html

[Updated on: Sat, 15 September 2012 10:15]

•  
pcunix

Your concern would be ownership and permissions. The files are as described in that article and the comment that I left there.

I've always used the kmsrecover method for this type of transplant and that IS probably the best way, but my guess is that you could get away with it in this particular case.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
Previous Topic: Kerio calendar free/bussy
Next Topic: Calendar Timezone Problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 14:20:24 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00443 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.