Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Tried to convince clients to switch to KWS ... see why they not want it. (Trying to replace Samba/WebDAV with KWS but there are issues ....)
  •  
bukmba

Send a private message to this user
Hi.

I am an IT Outsource Provider in Thailand and we currently rent out dozens of Linux Servers to our clients for use as a File Server (Samba or WebDAV).
I thought KWS would be much better for them and I demonstrated it to many of them.

The results however were less good and here is why:

1. One thing they all asked me is how to email a document to a client, or even multiple documents which might be stored across multiple pages.

Unfortunately my only suggestion was to download them to their computer and then attach them to an email. You can imagine that nobody of them was satisfied with that answer and they told me straight that this is inconvenient and certainly not how a document control software should work.

I didn't tell them but frankly, I do agree.

2. If you have documents attached to a page, you might need to update a document but save it with a different name. As a sample, they said they have for each staff the salary slips as an Excel file, always named with the month. Thus 2012-August and next one should be 2012-September.
With the current solution (WebDAV on Linux) they just duplicate the document and rename it, then make the changes and print it. This seems to be far more complicate in KWS. Or do I miss something.

3. A customer which is working on projects, uses one space for each project and has several pages under it with each many documents attached. At the end of the project he needs to email all documentation to his client. There is no way to extract all documents form one single space as I can see.

With their current solution (Samba on Linux) they just zip the folder and send it out. Not even a minute and all is done.

4. Less important but for Kerio already more than a "should be" is an app for tablets and smartphones. An app which also allows to modify documents (attached docs) and offline sync.

5. Why there is an "Cut this file" option in KWS but not an "Copy this file"? Sometimes, a documents needs to be copied rather than moved to a different page for different purpose.

My summary is that I do like KWS and it got potential. But the main reason you need to give to clients if you want to convince them to switch to KWS is, that everything will be more easy than before. Unfortunately this is not yet the case. The User experience is all but good.
I would wish that Kerio sorts out those issues and we could roll out KWS to all our clients which are more than 60 SMEs.
Because maintenance of it (adding Users, permissions etc.) is all much easier compared to WebDAV or Samba. But this is behind the scene, the customer does neither see nor care about this. Because they work on the front end, the UI which restricts them from doing simple things like emailing a document.
  •  
BudDurland

Some thoughts:

Items 1,3 -- 'Samba' is a file sharing protocol, not really the target function of KWS. So any argument that KWS does not fulfill a function that is accomplished with Samba is somewhat invalid.

Items 2 and 5 say much thew same thing, and I totally agree; a 'duplicate with a new name' function would be ideal.

Item 4. The problem with having a app is the editing part. Editing plain text blocks should be do-able. But, editing documents is another kettle of fish -- making an editor that can handle even the top 5 file types (word, Excel, Open doc, etc..) is a very significant task. Off-line sync for mobile devices is a tricky bit for the same reasons. I must say though, that all of my mobile users are happy with the current iOS web version. When a file needs a change, they make a comment, and because the page is in their favorites, they get an e-mail when the change is published

I'm not saying that your needs are invalid, just that KWS is not a silver bullet for all projects. As a focused collaboration product, KWS hits darned close to the bulls-eye.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
bukmba

Thanks for you reply. I am of course aware that Samba / WebDAV is a different protocol. But if you try to sell KWS to your clients, then those questions will eventually come up. I do not expect KWS to be able to just do about everything, but there are basic things which simply should be available as the major part of Users might most likely miss it. We always need to put ourselves in the shoes of the end user, and so should Kerio.
Imagine the customers worked for years with Samba. Very simple and straight forward. Of course it doesn't have version history and many other features which KWS offers. But when you offer your customer a new system with new features you need to expect them that they want to take the "old way of working" with them, at least in parts. They might appreciate the new features but they might be extremely unhappy if features they used for years are simply not available for them anymore. And this includes sending documents by email, duplication and renaming files etc.

•  
Martin Viktora (Kerio)

Hello and thanks for your feedback!

1. While our focus is to make Workspace the best product for teams within an organization, features for sharing with external (3rd parties) are high in demand and we will be working on them. Within a few months we will be releasing a version allowing users to share individual pages with 3rd parties.

Then, your customers will be able to email their clients a link to shared pages. The shared pages will contain all information (texts, images, comments, etc.), which we believe is a better approach than sharing information on the pages in any other way.

2 and 5. Yes, we will be adding this.

4. For Office documents you will still need MS Office to edit. But we will be improving the text component to become ever more useful, which should reduce dependency on software like Office.

•  
bukmba

Thank you very much for sharing those great news. I am really looking forward for the updates as they will certainly give me a rocket start to sell KWS to my clients.
I am absolutely amazed. Keep going Smile

•  
pcunix

One of the "basic things" my customers have asked for is to be able to see and search file metadata for uploaded files.

I certainly see their point, though seeing the data should probably be optional or have a context menu and perhaps searching it should also require something special like "meta: December 2011" . Or maybe not..

I would think that adding this would be easy enough, though planning out exactly how it should work might take some thought.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
papester

One of the nice features of MS SharePoint is the ability to email a link to someone from Sharepoint to the document you want them to access.. It would be nice to have this feature in Workspace.
  •  
Machete

Quote:
1. While our focus is to make Workspace the best product for teams within an organization, features for sharing with external (3rd parties) are high in demand and we will be working on them. Within a few months we will be releasing a version allowing users to share individual pages with 3rd parties.

Then, your customers will be able to email their clients a link to shared pages. The shared pages will contain all information (texts, images, comments, etc.), which we believe is a better approach than sharing information on the pages in any other way.

Great news Kerio! While you develop this, please keep in mind some of the points that the OP stated in his item #1 - individual files or multiple files across multiple pages. When I need to share a file with my client, I do not want them to have access to the entire file library where that single file is stored.
Previous Topic: Original date stamp on uploaded files
Next Topic: Search Deleted Items
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 04:18:11 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.