Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Horrifically Slow Outlook Connector
  •  
Mog0

Send a private message to this user
I'm using the Outlook connector in Outlook 2010 64-bit and I'm finding that it's unbelievably slow doing the most basic of tasks. For example switching folders typically takes 15-20 seconds. It seems that the more mail there is in a folder the longer it takes, some of my bigger folders can take upwards of 1 minute to open (up to 70,000 items in them).

Update: I have just done a bit more checking and when I switch folders the process KoffBackend.exe hammers the disk, hard. This would appear to be the problem. End Update.

If I use IMAP instead it seems to be so much faster but I want to have access to my calendar too. I tried downloading the version of connector without offline caching but it only appears to be available in 32-bit and throws errors as soon as I run it (produces a meaningless error dialog with a string of numbers).

Is there any way of using the offline edition of connector without caching?
Anyone have any other suggestions of how to speed things up?

The machine is a desktop and is connected via LAN to the server in the same building.

I'm using Kerio Connect 7.4.2 with Outlook 2010 64-bit and Outlook Connector 7.4.3.7813 T0 (I downloaded the latest version to see if it fixes anything, I was previously using the one that downloads from the server), running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. The machine is a Core 2 duo 2.4GHz with 4GB of RAM.

Thanks
Scott

[Updated on: Mon, 17 September 2012 14:41]

•  
pcunix

I don't know if this has anything to do with your specific problem, but just in case, see http://aplawrence.com/Kerio/koc_domain.html ("Troubleshooting Outlook KOC problems on new Windows 7 machines"). That talks about some NIC settings that drove me and my customer nuts (well, more nuts than usual in my case) for almost a week.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
Mog0

Not my problem, but thanks for the suggestion.
My mail is already synced, it is just incredibly slow moving around the interface. The kerio cache is currently about 1.5GB and it seems that every time I switch folders, Kerio hammers the disk hard for ages before finally showing my mail.
  •  
dexterb

Mog0 wrote on Mon, 17 September 2012 08:39
Not my problem, but thanks for the suggestion.
My mail is already synced, it is just incredibly slow moving around the interface. The kerio cache is currently about 1.5GB and it seems that every time I switch folders, Kerio hammers the disk hard for ages before finally showing my mail.

Did you ever resolve this? I have one user with the same config (except his is 32-bit Outlook), same slowness.
  •  
Mog0

dexterb wrote on Wed, 17 October 2012 18:13
Did you ever resolve this? I have one user with the same config (except his is 32-bit Outlook), same slowness.
Afraid not. I'm still struggling with it taking 15 seconds an up to switch between folders. Sad

At least I'm not the only one. Hopefully someone at Kerio will see this and investigate / provide a fix but I'm not exactly hopeful.
  •  
TorW

Empty out the "Sent Items" folder (or archive it), switch off the "Group By" view in Outlook and make sure you have no more than around 5.000 mails in the inbox (including any subfolders). Put old mail in folders next to the Inbox if you need to. 70.000 mails in a single folder is way too much for even the fastest disk systems on the planet to handle. Try putting that amount of files in a folder in Explorer and see what happens; the same thing.

These tips are mentioned in a KB article and have sped up slow Outlooks here on several occasions.
  •  
Mog0

I connect to the same mailbox at home using IMAP in Outlook and have conversations turned on yet have no performance issues at all. The problem is specifically with the Kerio Connector; the way it indexes the mail (if it indexes it at all, the speed would suggest it's maybe just doing sequential searches) just doesn't seem to be very efficient. If Outlook can do it on it's own there's no (obvious) reason why kerio can't do it as well. It's not a fundamental disk speed limit or anything.

If I access webmail, it is a bit sluggish but will only take a second or two to switch folders, even though the mail server is actually less powerful than my desktop.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 October 2012 10:16]

•  
TorW

KOFF accesses its local database in order to index the folder, and this can be - as you have discovered - a pretty longwinded operation. Give the database engine smaller chunks of data to chew on, and thing should happen quicker.

Forget about IMAP being faster since everything happens on the server in that case, and indexing in IMAP's case is a simple-ish case of enumerating files in a folder.
  •  
pcunix

The problem with Archiving is that people don't want to do it.

Over and over again I've asked Kerio why they won't add server side folder archiving. Most if the code for it is already there - it's Items Clean Out with moving the messages to a folder (INBOX_2012_09) and so on) instead of deleting them.

This simple option would fix so many complaints about slow Outlook Connector.. but Kerio doesn't see it. I've lost good sized customers because of this and told Kerio why again and again, but development keeps thinking they will fix this some other way.

Maybe they will, someday.. someday.

Tony Lawrence
  •  
Mog0

The obvious solution would then be to have the connector use the same techniques as IMAP. My computer is a desktop machine with a permanent LAN connection to the mail server and so would be quite happy to have the server take over the load if it gave better performance. Then I could have the performance of IMAP and still get all of my contacts and calendar synced.

I'm not totally convinced by this argument though as if you look at the size of Outlook's cache file when using IMAP it is still pretty massive. It also appears to work quite happily (and quickly) even when there is no network connection. It is possible that not everything is available to it but I've never found anything that isn't cached offline.

Update: I've just seen this microsoft article that seems to imply that Outlook downloads all messages, exactly like the connector.

As for archiving, the obvious problem with this aproach is that when I'm searching for an e-mail (which I do a lot) I would then have to search the inbox and then if no results are found search the archive to see if it has been moved yet. This would have the additional problem that when I switch to the archive folder I will hit exactly the same performance problems.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 October 2012 14:33]

•  
TorW

Mog0 wrote on Fri, 19 October 2012 14:21
The obvious solution would then be to have the connector use the same techniques as IMAP. My computer is a desktop machine with a permanent LAN connection to the mail server and so would be quite happy to have the server take over the load if it gave better performance. Then I could have the performance of IMAP and still get all of my contacts and calendar synced.

You mean "KOFF, but without caching"? The idea has been aired here several times, and it's also a suggestion in Kerio's suggestion box. There are many things that are wrong with KOFF, and Kerio is fully aware of the issues. Whether they are low on developer resources. haven't gotten around to it or simply are strategically uninterested in doing something, is not of my concern. Our next hosted mailbox will not be on a Kerio server.
  •  
Mog0

I guess even the ability to use koff to sync calendar and contacts without any mail sync would be useful as then you could set up an IMAP account for mail and get superior performance with no downsides (although the control panel for setting up mail rules on the server is really useful so it'd be even better if that still worked).
  •  
puretech

I would also like to report similar problem, but with Windows 7 64bit and Outlook 2003 SP3 with KOFF 7.4.2.

Our CS department has got a Public folder for faxes (fax to email with pdf attachment) that folder contains user's own subfolders where they move the fax so others dont process the same order. Recently (after 2-3 weeks of update to 7.4.2) They have been noticing slowness to the point that orders started duplicating (I guess because koff didn't sync on time and people moved same emails to their folders).

Average time of moving around public folder is around 30-40secs and sometimes it gets worse to the point they kill the process.

I have noticed Koff process hammering the processor. Users on XP machine (3gz with 1.5gig ram) are fine, but about 10 users with windows 7 (2.6ghz quad core with 4gig ram) are experiencing this problem.

I was also going to see if I can install online connector but since online connector is only 32 bit, i can't install it.

Does anyone or even better, but doubt it, kerio has any suggestions or solution for this?

I can see this problem becoming business critical problem which will go to the Directors and they will pressure me to fix it but I can't if there is not fix or solution from Kerio.

Kerio Connect is great, but I am having a feeling it is great for only 30-50 people with minimal 'hello hi' emails than 100 users with proper email orders with attachments etc.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 October 2012 18:15]

•  
pcunix

puretech wrote on Fri, 19 October 2012 11:57

Kerio Connect is great, but I am having a feeling it is great for only 30-50 people with minimal 'hello hi' emails than 100 users with proper email orders with attachments etc.

Well, that's definitely not true. I have many customers with many more users than that - one with over 1500 and one with over 900, just off the top of my head.

Tony Lawrence
Mog0

One possible solution on the horizon is Outlook 2013 is coming and has support for exchange active sync. If Kerio could support this then all the problems go away as you then don't need the plugin at all (assuming you're able to upgrade to the new Office).

I've tried connecting to our Kerio server with the preview release of Outlook but it doesn't work. I'm not sure what's wrong exactly as I use Windows Phone's EAS connection with the server and others in the office use iPhones to connect over EAS. Don't know if it's an Outlook or a Kerio bug.
Previous Topic: Citrix XenDesktop
Next Topic: how configure mail server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 18:23:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00555 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.