Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook Connector Slow
  •  
freedomit

Send a private message to this user
We have a Kerio Connect mailserver and client machines running Vista/Win7 32/64bit with Outlook 2007/2010.

Ever since changing from a POP3 PST setup to Kerio Offline Connector users have complained about Outlook being slow. This is especially common when switching between folders or going into a folder with lots of items.

A few thoughts i have had over the last year to try and speed things up...

* When using Windows Explorer and clicking into a folder with lots of items Windows often hangs while it compiles a list of the items and sorts them. Unlike a PST file Kerio stores all its messages as individual files in a folder structure similar to your Outlook folders. Is this why its so slow when clicking into a folder with lots of items?

* Would moving the local Kerio file store to a USB drive improve speed? One thought i had it that over time all the Kerio files with get very fragmented and spread over the hard drive. If i used a dedicated USB drive just for Kerio there would be less fragmentation and hopefully better speed. Has anyone tried this?

Any other ideas???...
  •  
beatle20359

Hi Freedomit,

Can you list the addons for Outlook you have, which antivirus program you are using and if you have included subfolders in your Outlook sync.

Addons / Plugins can affect the Outlook Connector
Anti-Virus software that scans email messages on the local machine can affect it
Having more than 10,000 items in a folder can make a difference as well

Let me know and I'll try to help

Beatle
  •  
freedomit

We are using Sophos AV but have added exclusions for the Kerio folders on both the Server and Desktops.

We also use Goldmine CRM which does have an Outlook Plugin however it doesnt work properly with Kerio (all emails in sent items turn into plain text when pulled into CRM). Not all users have the Goldmine plugin but everyone thinks its slow.

All folders are synced with Kerio as they want Kerio to act as an email backup system incase of local hard drive failure.

Is the USB idea an viable option do you think? We only have 10 users so buying a cheap USB for each of them wouldnt cost a fortune. I might test it first with one user and see what happens.
  •  
beatle20359

Hi,

Can you let me know the hardware configuration of your server and which version of Outlook you are running.

We disable most of the addons and RSS feeds which also slow it down. We also make sure all subfolders are included in the sync.

The difference in speed of having more than 10,000 or less than 10,000 items in a folder is quite noticeable as well.

If you want to PM me I'll send you my number and we can chat on the phone.

Thanks
Beatle
  •  
freedomit

Hi Beatle,

firstly thankyou for taking an interest in my problem.

The server spec is..

Dell PowerEdge T605
AMD Opteron Quad Core 2376
4GB Ram
Server 2008 Std 32bit
2 x 500GB SATA Raid 1
100MB Network
Outlook is a mixture of 2007 SP3 and 2010 SP1.

I have been monitoring the server performance and cpu, network and disk ultilization are all within normal levels. Memory usage is high but SQL is installed on the server and is designed to use all the memory available to it. I understand there may be a benefit in moving to a full gigabit network, faster disks and more ram but even when running offline from the server Outlook is slow.

Im going to investigate the worst hit users further and try some of your suggestions such as disabling add-ons, rss feeds, and do a folder item count.

If this all fails i will drop you a pm and thankyou once again.

Andy

Previous Topic: Mark messages as answeard on mail.app & iPhone
Next Topic: Sophos detects Kerio Connector as a Virus - and blocks it
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Aug 21 21:38:06 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00448 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.