Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Alias Help (Help with Alias)
  •  
catoxpress

Send a private message to this user
I am trying to reduce the number of utilitarian email accounts we use and I'm not sure how to configure. I want to set it up so that when a customer emails to group<_at_>domain.com, it goes to everyone in the group. I don't need an email account for this as nothing needs to come back or be replied from the group address. I just need a distribution to group members. Should I be looking at Alias or Group or Distribution List?

Please help.
  •  
Gregg Hatchell

Hi catoxpress,

You can do this by creating a group, and adding your local users to this group. The email address associated to this will accept emails and deliver them to everyone within the group.

You can also do this with a mailing list, which allows you more control over who can email to this account.

You can read more about both of these here;

manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/chap-groups.html
manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/chap-mlists.html

[Updated on: Tue, 18 September 2012 16:33]

•  
Charles B

catoxpress wrote on Tue, 18 September 2012 08:13
...Should I be looking at Alias or Group or Distribution List?

You could use any of the three, so It kind of depends on how you envision using them Your brief description makes me think that mailing lists is probably the way to go if someone else will be deciding who the group members are.

The mailing list allows users to add or remove themselves from the list via an email (subject to admin approval if you so desire). In lists where I have a lot of churn, so that I'm adding or removing someone every week, I prefer the mailing list method so that the list owner can be one or more non-admin-someone-else(s). That way the list owner(s) can decide if somebody is allowed on the list or not. Also, list members can remove themselves if they desire. Kerio's implementation of GNU-mailman is pretty rudimentary, so an admin still has to get involved to do most list maintenance tasks such as membership removal and addition if the users can't figure it out themselves. The mailing list does not, however, integrate with Active Directory if you are using Windows AD. You can also restrict a mailing list so that only mailing list members can send messages to the list, although it doesn't sound like you need that feature.

The group and alias approaches require an admin to maintain the lists.

I don't recommend using aliases. While the alias is a quicker set up for one or two person lists, I've found that aliased lists are killed by a lot of spam filters if you are mailing outside your Kerio server, and they quickly become a maintenance headache if you get very many members.

The Groups method is a snap to maintain if you use Active Directory, and is still pretty easy if you don't. It is probably the way to go if you have to be the one who adds and removes members from the group mail lists anyway (if your users can't be bothered, or are just too technophobic to do it themselves, or your groups never change once set up).

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
Previous Topic: making "undo" work in Apple Mail
Next Topic: recovering custom SPAM rules
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Aug 18 07:00:32 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00403 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.