Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Dialing a 7 digit number
  •  
kerver

Send a private message to this user
I'm currently in the trial/testing phase and can't figure out how to dial a 7-digit number. it requires a full 10-digit number in order to go through. Is this something that needs to be configured in Operator or my SIP provider. I'm on version 2.0.2 of Operator and using a Yealink T32G phone. Thanks
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

Operator currently does not support call routing / number rewriting rules based on the length of the dialed number. So it depends on your SIP provider if they accept 7-digit dialed numbers. Some SIP carriers in the U.S. accept that, some expect the dialed number to be in some normalized format.

A workaround is to create a second dial-out prefix for local calls. If your standard prefix is 9, you could create prefix 8 and change the rewriting rule for this new prefix to add your local area code (or anything you need to add to match the format expected by the SIP carrier).

Vladimir
  •  
kerver

Thank you Vladimir for the reply. It's hard to imagine that this isn't a feature of Operator. I seem to recall doing this with Asterisk many years ago, but I could be wrong. I'll contact my SIP provider and see what they say.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Our current design of the call routing rules has been done with the aim to keep things very simple. However we plan to change to it to support more functionality and give the administrator more control over the rules of call routing.
  •  
kerver

Here's a quote from my SIP provider "Almost all PBX we work with have a dial plan configured on their PBX to allow 7 digit dialing for local numbers. If your PBX does not allow this, then unfortunately all calls will need to be made with 10 digits, or 11 digits".

I would have to agree that this is a standard feature of a PBX. What is the ETA for this feature? Is it available in a beta release? Unfortunately, without this feature, I'll need to continue evaluating different PBX solutions.

Thank You
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

If your SIP carrier supports 7-digit dialing, then you should just dial 9 (or whatever prefix you use to dial out), followed by 7 digits and it should work.

As I mentioned above, the rewriting of the called number based on the number of digits is currently missing. But you would only need it if your carrier always expected 10 digits.

Vladimir
  •  
kerver

Sorry for the confusion. My provider was saying that all the PBXs they work rewrite the 7-digits into 10-digits. My provider only accepts 10 or 11 digits. I'm unable to find one that accepts 7. What is the ETA of the rewriting feature? Thanks
  •  
Jakub Viták (Kerio)

Hi, Jason.

Number rewriting is supported in Operator already
as you can see in http://kb.kerio.com/article/mapping-external-and-internal-nu mbers-896.html.

Edit your provider interface in call routing and add prefix to it to fit 10-digits schema.

Sincerely, Jakub Viták
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

The rewriting rules are only prefix-based as of now.

@Jason, if your standard prefix for dialing out is (for example) 9, you could add the prefix 8 for local calls, bind the prefix to the same SIP interface, and rewrite the called number so that it has the required 10 digits.

Vladimir
  •  
kerver

I'm aware that I can use an alternate prefix as a workaround. Unfortunately, requiring a different prefix when dialing a local number is not going to fly with management and executives.
  •  
Lisa Lyons (Kerio)

I actually use the routing rules in a similar way.

Where one of our Operators is based, we can guarantee that all local numbers start with "76", and that our local area dialling code is 01440.

So I have three main routes out...

Route "0"

All numbers starting with 0 are 'absolute' and therefore just go out of the main line with no modification. This is a catch all and allows for International and National calls, as long as the number is prefixed with 0.

Route "+"

A lot of our users have numbers in the iPhone address book that starts with +[Country Code], this allows for these to be used and in number rewriting, I strip off one digit from the left, and rewrite it with "00" to make it an International call.

Route "76"

Configured to leave the number dialled as is, but prefix it with 01440, so that all outgoing calls that start with 76 are 'local' and are 6 digits (we have 11 digit numbers) and Operator will always send 11 digits (the full local number, including area code) without the user being aware of it.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Kerio Technical Support
Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
kerver

Vladimir, I've added 8 as an additional prefix as you instructed and outgoing calls work as expected. The problem now is that incoming calls get the 8 prefix added instead of 9. I've looked at my routing of incoming calls, and the Calling Number Prefix for that line is 9. Why is it ignoring that entry and adding an 8? I am running 2.1 beta 1, could this be a bug?

jason
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

I will have this tested, thanks for reporting.

Vladimir
  •  
ocmacdude

I just want to +1 this. It basically says it all.

"Sorry for the confusion. My provider was saying that all the PBXs they work rewrite the 7-digits into 10-digits. My provider only accepts 10 or 11 digits. I'm unable to find one that accepts 7. What is the ETA of the rewriting feature? Thanks"
nhoague

Just want to chime in here. We use the Cisco SPA series and I had to make a custom dial plan so the phone would allow 10 or 11 digit numbers. Here is my dial plan:

( [23456789]11 | *xxx. | <:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx | 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx | 011xxxxxxx. | [#*x][*x][*x][*x][*x][*x][*x][*x][*x][*x][*x][*x]. )

Basically you are allowed to call any 211,311,411,etc, any vertical service code such as *5, **, *9, a 10 digit number will add the 1, a 11 digit number will dial out, and then the rest allows for pretty much anything else. I got this dial plan from a google search, and then made a few of my own changes.

WIth regards to dialing 8 or 9 for another outbound route, you will always need the 11 digit number. i.e. 913035551234

WIth your model phone I do not know the dial plan, but hopefully this sets you in the right direction.
Previous Topic: SIP Register/SIP Invite fails.
Next Topic: Fax reliability
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 23:29:32 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.