Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Global phone book
  •  
kerver

Send a private message to this user
Is Operator capable of suppling a global phone book or directory to the phones, or at least a list of local users and extensions?
  •  
silars

Most of us solve this using phones that support LDAP. I believe most users use OpenLDAP or Active Directory. Some phones also support the ability to push directories via the provisioning process, but I don't believe this is supported via Operator yet.

I'd recommend an LDAP solution as this tends to be more scalable vs. directory push.
  •  
fishtech

+1 LDAP.

I am using LDAP to query Apple's Open Directory. I believe you can also query Kerio Connect's directory

ft.
  •  
kerver

Thank You. My phones are capable of querying an LDAP server, and I'm currently utilizing both Apple Open Directory and Kerio Connect. How would I incorporate the phone extension into either one of those solutions?
  •  
ICT and Me

Operator can also talk with Open Directory. And LDAP supporting phones can talk with Open Directory on LDAP level.
So if I'm not mistaking the extensions will placed in Open Directory and Kerio Connect can also connect with Operator. I will advice to read the manual and white papers on the Kerio website in Q&A section.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
fishtech

I have Kerio Connect but I chose for my phones to search LDAP on OSX Open Directory directly.

To configure extensions numbers in Open Directory (I have 10.6 server) I go WorkGroup Manager > Users > specific User > Info.

Then I add 'Work' (and 'Mobile' phone numbers where appropriate) for each user.

For rooms (extensions without specific users) I create an OD account (eg. 'Library') and create just a 'work' phone number. I also mark the account as inactive using User > Basic > uncheck 'Access Account'.

The room will show up on LDAP searches even though it is an inactive Open Directory account.

Users can now walk up to any phone in the building and dial any colleague, colleague's cell phone or room from the directory on the phone. When I make a change in OD it is immediately available on all phones.

I have Snom phones, and the phones themselves use settings shown in this thread:

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php/m/91957/?srch=ldap#msg_919 57

Unfortunately I'm not through with printed phone lists just yet... the latest Snom firmware (v. 8.3.10) has broken LDAP searches from their phones (note... this has NOTHING to do with Operator). Downgrading phone software is the only option, but a firmware update to fix is supposed to become available this week: http://forum.snom.com/index.php?showtopic=10213

hth,

ft.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 September 2012 15:13]

•  
kerver

Thank you fishtech. This is exactly what I needed, but it looks like it's going to take some trial and error. The LDAP configuration on my Yealink phone looks very similar to the one you supplied for the Snom. I've populated all the required settings and am still unable to query the server. My LDAP log on the Open Directory Server isn't acknowledging any attempted queries from the phone, and unfortunately I can't find any accessible logs on the phone. I may need to contact Yealink or bring in a Snom for testing.
  •  
fishtech

Quote:
This is exactly what I needed, but it looks like it's going to take some trial and error.

Sounds familiar :)

Quote:
The LDAP configuration on my Yealink phone looks very similar to the one you supplied for the Snom. I've populated all the required settings and am still unable to query the server.

I believe I used an OSX tool called Ldapper to check my LDAP user could connect OK, before trying that user on the phone. That way I could rule out authentication issues, etc.

I eventually found a post in the Snom forums which really helped me get the config right. If Yealink have forums it might be worth a post.

Quote:
My LDAP log on the Open Directory Server isn't acknowledging any attempted queries from the phone

For info, I do NOT get anything in the LDAP log on my OD server (OSX 10.6.8) when I search directory from a phone.

So, check in the Password Service Server Log. I do get the following when in the PSS log when I search the directory from the phone:

Sep 26 2012 08:48:03 USER: {0x5000240367925a190000006900001850, myldapuser} is the current user.
Sep 26 2012 08:48:03 AUTH2: {0x5000240367925a190000006900001850, myldapuser} CRAM-MD5 authentication succeeded.

That's about all I can see on the server when a phone searches the LDAP directory.

Quote:
I may need to contact Yealink or bring in a Snom for testing.

If you do bring in a Snom make sure you are aware of the firmware problem I mentioned above (LDAP problem with current firmware v8.7.3.10). Otherwise that will REALLY screw up your testing (speaking from experience).

Snom released a new beta firmware yesterday (v8.7.3.15) which works great in my testing so far, though I have only installed on a couple phones. Otherwise, if you don;t want to use the beat, use previous firmware v8.4.35: http://forum.snom.com/index.php?showtopic=10213

Cheers,

ft.
  •  
kerver

Making progress. I brought in the Snom 821 and had instant success with the LDAP configuration. My next question is can I add these settings to a provisioning file for future Snom installs? I see the provisioning file for each unique MAC address, but not a template for default settings.
  •  
DigiWorks

It would be nice if Kerio Operator has an build-in phonebook like LDAP Server or something like that.
Just adding phonenumbers via the Kerio Operator would be a nice feature.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

See my response in a similar thread regarding what's currently in the plan.

Vladimir
  •  
DigiWorks

But we don't have a LDAP server or Kerio Connect.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

We plan to use an external LDAP server now (like Kerio Connect). An LDAP server built into Operator might come later, but I am not able to give you an ETA for that.

Vladimir
Previous Topic: Integration with Kerio Connect Address Book
Next Topic: Auto prefix for outgoing calls
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 23:27:58 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00504 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.