Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Polycom + g.722 = squawking (Codecs)
  •  
silars

Send a private message to this user
Every 60s, there is a squawk when using g.722 and Polycom phones (670s). Due to some configuration issues (doing codec transcoding to g.711 to non-Polycoms and only had 1 Polycom at the time), I didn't expose this problem earlier during my Operator testing. g.711 works fine, though.

This problem also occurs between Polycoms and Bria 3. However, this problem doesn't appear between Bria 3 and Bria 3 (Android).

Right now, I'm making Polycom do some work. However, I thought I'd trek down the Operator path to see if there is anything that could be going wrong there too.

I'm trying a few other things, but figured it couldn't hurt to throw this question into the wild.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

I would capture the call using Operator's packet sniffer and then analyze the packet dump in Wireshark/Ethereal. There are some nice tools under Telephony>VoIP Calls and Telephony>RTP in Wireshark. You can listen to the captured streams and identify the source.

Vladimir
  •  
silars

Did try that, but the playback didn't appear to be working (dead quiet). Trying a more recent version today.
  •  
silars

So, the trick here appears to be that Wireshark can decode g.711 calls, but not g.722 calls.
  •  
fishtech

@Vladimir - thanks for the info, that's really neat.

@Silars... are you using Wireshark on Mac or PC? My playback is quiet on Mac using latest Wireshark (v 1.8.2) and I am looking at g.77u and g711a calls.

I see some discussion online about maybe needing PortAudio on Mac... do you know if it's required for sure or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
silars

I'm using Wireshark on Win 7 64-bit.

In my research, I did see a few mentions of PortAudio, but I didn't venture much further to determine the requirements. I couldn't even venture a guess as to what is required. Though, my understanding of PortAudio is to extract .wav files from the codec streams. I could see why that would be required if Wireshark is unable to manage the Mac audio libraries.

I did not have to do any special configuration to get audio output from Wireshark.
  •  
fishtech

Re. listening to calls via Wireshark on Mac...

In fact I was trying to listen to a g722 call. g711 works fine. I think Wireshark does not include codecs to listen to g722.

As part of working this out I downloaded the MacPorts distribution of Wireshark (I had had the OS X 10.6 Intel 64-bit .dmg version). The MacPorts version looks better onscreen to me than the dmg version, but I'm not sure if downloading the MacPorts version enabled the audio by installing PortAudio or whether audio would have worked for g711 with the dmg version.

I was able to export the g722 payload form wireshark in raw format and listen to it using Audacity but it was just white noise & clicks.

Sorry to hijack your thread,

Cheers,

ft.

•  
silars

No worries, ft. I don't consider this a hijack. This is all good information to capture for the next lady or gentleman who wanders upon these issues.

And, yes, my research also suggests that Wireshark does not support g.722 decode/play internally. There are apparently some test plugins. Likewise, there does appear to be external support, but YMMV.
Previous Topic: Call Forwarding Issues
Next Topic: Maximum length of voicemail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 10:24:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00913 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.