Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail list-when user replies "Owner" is inserted (a question)
  •  
buck_jones

Send a private message to this user
Hi. We have a few mailing lists. People are complaining that the word "Owner" is being added in the address when they reply.

It ends up in their recently mailed to address list and they send to "Owner" by accident.

For example. There is a mailing list called "all@mydomain.com" When users start typing "all" they get "Owner-all<_at_>mydomain.com".

Users are complaining. It works but they complain.. They could just pick the address without "Owner" in it but I guess that's too much to ask..

Is there anything I can do? Why does this happen?

Thanks!
  •  
Lucian Maly (Kerio)

There is a reason for that, because it protects the owner's real e-mail address. In each mailing list, special email addresses are generated automatically. These addresses are
used for special functions, such as member login, contact addresses of the list moderators,
etc. Each of these addresses has the following form:
<mailinglist>-<suffix>@<domain>
(e.g. to send a request to the discussion mailing list help within the company.com domain,
users will send a message to: discussion-help<_at_>company.com
Here the suffixes that can be used in the list address are listed:
• subscribe -- a request for login to the mailing list,
• unsubscribe -- a request for logout from the mailing list,
• help -- a request for help for the mailing list usage,
• owner, owners -- sending a message to the list moderators (there is no need to know
their email addresses)

More information: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2919

Kerio Technologies AU Pty Ltd.
  •  
clan

I thionk you meant RFC 2369, RFC 2919 seems to be concerned with list IDs, not with the special list addresses. This leads to the question, why List-ID is not included in the list of headers when creating filters. Would be a change for the better if I could just click my way through when creating the filter for a mailing list instead of writing the sieve filter myself.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 October 2012 10:22]

•  
TorW

As real, old-school mailing lists go, the one in Kerio Connect is fairly crippled. It appears to me that Kerio meant this as a poor man's distribution list, and no more. For that it works very well. Some of our customers use them as simple discussion forums in order to escape the dreaded "Reply All" nightmare (or forgetting to Reply All).

If you need actual mailing list software, with bounce pruning, moderator support via GUI and mail commands, archive operations, digests, help, faqs, moderation queues, VERP, administration by non-root/administrator users and whatnot, it's probably best to use something else. I have a FreeBSD server hanging around, with qmail, ezmlm, ezmlm-web and qmailadmin for mailing lists (plus lots of other mail related stuff). If you install Matt Simerson's Mail::Toaster it's pretty easy to get up and running.
Previous Topic: Rogers Account
Next Topic: KMS Master Authentication Password
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 13:34:50 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00384 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.