Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » User's Outlook custom folders deleted after installing Outlook Connector
  •  
oregonbob

Send a private message to this user
I've been running Kerio a long time with just simple POP3 delivery to Outlook 2003 clients. I had set POP3 to delete email from server after 10 days so that user could POP3 from other sources and read recent email. Now users want calendars, etc sync'd to their smartphones so I installed Outlook Connect.

In one example, an Outlook user had created numerous additional Outlook folders and stored various messages in them (stored in the local PST file).

After installing Outlook Connector, I did the Kerio wizard labeled, "Click here to auto-configure Kerio Outlook Connector."

Apparently the above first deleted the previous POP3 account setup in Outlook and replaced it with one new account "Kerio...". That's OK, but then it reloaded duplicate messages from the last 10 days into Outlook as New messages. It also DELETED all the custom mail folders user had. These folders that previously held important mail messages are now nowhere to be found (except in backups).

Should Kerio connector have copied/moved those Outlook folders and their contents to the server instead of simply deleting them?

Could it be that firewall on the Outlook client is preventing Kerio from doing this? I read warnings of this nature but never saw any error messages so I assumed it wasn't a problem.

Can I remedy this problem, user is quite upset.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 October 2012 20:58]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Nothing has been deleted. Your previous POP3 account is in another Outlook profile. You can attach .pst file and copy messages to new Kerio account.
  •  
oregonbob

This user has around 1000 folders. I have to literally drag each folder from the opened pst file into the kerio mailbox. It's manual syncing. Shouldn't Kerio have copied in those folders?

Then I wonder what the Outlook PST size will be after doing this. Before doing it it was 6.5GB. Wouldn't the PST file then have those folders duplicated?
  •  
zebby

You could use the import function in Outlook to import from your old PST to your Kerio account. If your POP3 pst is 6.5GB this will take a while...
  •  
TorW

oregonbob wrote on Tue, 02 October 2012 06:27
This user has around 1000 folders. I have to literally drag each folder from the opened pst file into the kerio mailbox. It's manual syncing. Shouldn't Kerio have copied in those folders?

Why should it do that? KOFF does not know about local folders in a PST file, only about what's on the (empty) server.

It would of course be nice to have some kind of automatic wizard to import PST files to a KOFF account, but unless you attach the PST file to Outlook before configuring KOFF, there's no way KOFF can know the PST even exists and is relevant. It could just as well be a PST file for a gigantic, private Hotmail account.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 October 2012 10:39]

•  
oregonbob

I have always understood the term "sync" to mean copying stuff from multiple sources to each so they all match. The Kerio wizard states, "Click here to auto-configure Kerio Outlook Connector." It gives no warning that for all intents and purposes it will delete all your previous folders and contents (disappear forever). They warn syncing could take a while so I figured it was really syncing, but it doesn't, it ignores pst and starts over. It just starts over ignoring any previous email contents in any pst file.

Since doing this I now realize I could manually import all the previous Outlook folders/content into the Kerio mailbox. If this was all stated in the documentation, which I read, I must have missed it.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 October 2012 19:55]

Previous Topic: KOFF and External IMAP Account
Next Topic: GoDaddy Migration
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 13:44:42 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00440 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.