Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Exchange Migration Tool precopy
  •  
reverent

Send a private message to this user
We are about ready to migrate everyone from Exchange 2003 to Kerio. We have about 160GB of Exchange email that needs to be migrated. Is there a way to run the migration toon once to get all the messages currently in exchange to the server and then run it again when we are 100% ready and it only copy the emails that are not there? Currently it is just overwriting the emails each time and taking a long time each time. At the rate of copy there isn't any way we can do the migration fully in one night so we were hoping there was a way to copy everying over a few days then when we are ready just copy only the new emails. A command line switch would be excellent Smile

Or if anyone has any tips on how to do this migration faster that advice would also be welcomed!
  •  
bhca

Curious is there a reason why you are switch from Exchange to Kerio?
  •  
reverent

bhca wrote on Fri, 05 October 2012 20:31
Curious is there a reason why you are switch from Exchange to Kerio?

I like, no, I love Exchange 2003 and it is easy enough to administer so my staff can perform functions with little oversight, but Microsoft's OS licensing, Exchange licensing, and the complete management system change for Exchange 2010 have really turned me off. We are changing our infrastructure so we decided this year would be a good time to make an email server change if we are going to make one.

If they would have come out with Exchange 2010 that was similar in appearance and function to 2003 under the hood and gave me OWA 2010 then we would upgrade Exchange but if I am going to have to learn a completly new environment it might as well be something that stops the marrage to Microsoft.

Basically it comes down to Kerio is dead simple to admin and works well. I don't have to do any staff training for administration. I also see MS Server2012 and I don't like the path Microsoft is headed.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 October 2012 21:13]

•  
TorW

I haven't migrated from Exchange to Kerio Connect for some time, but last time we found ourselves in your situation, we had to migrate users in batches. I think we did about 20 GB per night to be on the safe side.

While you're in the midst of migration, point the MX to Kerio and enable the Kerio function "if the user isn't here, send the mail to that other server over there". You'll find it in the domain setup.
  •  
reverent

Thanks for the reply; I just took down exchange and pulled the trigger on the migration. Doing six at a time.

This being a holiday weekend we decided this was the best time to do it.

12 mailboxes done so far!
  •  
reverent

Just FYI we are now done. We were really conservitive and had some big pauses while we checked the mailboxes but we migrated 124 mailboxes at ~143GB and it only took ~13 hours. We didnt factor in the 6 threads the migration tool uses which really helped a lot.

•  
TorW

Well done! Sounds like you had both servers on the LAN, which helps a lot with regard to speed. We weren't so lucky ...
Previous Topic: Should I upgrade to 7.4.3?
Next Topic: Kerio Connect Exchange Migration Tool won't connect to my Exchange Server - please advice
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 22:18:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00472 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.