Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » License registration (What does this new wording mean?)
  •  
pcunix

Send a private message to this user
Recently, Kerio changed the wording they send out with licenses. It now says

NEW LICENSES ONLY: License numbers of Kerio products can be registered from the web administration interface or athttps://secure.kerio.com/reg/ to create the license file that will activate your Kerio product. (Software Maintenance, users and extensions purchased for an existing license are registered automatically). (emphasis added)

I took that to mean that customers would not have to do anything when renewing or adding users - that the changes would automatically appear.

In fact, one support engineer confirmed my understanding, though he did say there might be glitches where the customer would have to run through the "Update registration" to get it to see the new expiration or added users.

Well, I haven't seen it happen yet, so I asked about it again and was told

It is not suppose to do it automatically, the only difference now is that you don't need to have numerous of serial numbers - there is only one now. But you still need to click on "Update registration info..." on the splash screen if there are any changes in your license.

If that's true, why say what I bolded above? Whatever it is you mean, make it clear.

And speaking of that, this "Upgrade to Kerio Connect, Sophos AV, 145 users" is also unclear. What happened there? Did we add 5 users, 10 or Sophos A/V?

And "Upgrade to Kerio Connect GOV, Sophos AV, 50 users, +1 Year SWM" is even worse..

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Tony,
Bolded text is true. All changes made in the license on registration server are automatically updated in the product. However, in some newer versions only (eg. Kerio Connect 7.4.0 and higher).

I've forwarded your other questions to our sales staff. I'm sure they will make it clear.
  •  
pcunix

Well, if they are as misinformed as the support staff, I doubt it Smile

Don't you think it might have been smart to have a KB entry that fully explained this and that could be referenced from the verbiage sent out with licenses?

I got this from Support also (which doesn't mention "only on new versions")

"Well, it is partially true. Let me explain - once you go through the wizard on https://secure.kerio.com/reg/, there is a new checkbox on the very last page saying something like "Automatically update the license" and this will push it to the product. If this has not been checked (I think it is unchecked by default), you still need to click on "Update registration info..." on the splash screen in the product. I think that is the whole problem."

and (after I questioned that)

"they will have to tick this checkbox every time there is a change in the license."

Sigh.. I think somebody at Kerio needs to learn the phrase "follow through".

I would guess that a goodly percentage of customer problems/questions are due to incomplete and misleading documentation. Yes, I know you are doing more KB work and I hope that will help but this is a perfect example of it. I and my customers have wasted several hours of time (and some of your support staff time too) because of this unnecessary confusion.

Suggestion: let us help. It's to my advantage not to have this kind of confusion. You've given us the ability to comment on KB articles; give us the ability to submit new ones for consideration. Of course you'd need to review them, but it just might save you time and trouble.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
Previous Topic: Field From different from Mail account
Next Topic: AvModule.cpp: Antivirus plugin Sophos cannot be initialized
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 14:51:00 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00408 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.