Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » redundant kerio servers (how to have live redundancy with kerio)
  •  
anthony.u

Send a private message to this user
hi there,

i have no found any documentation regarding redundancy with kerio. That is, not to restore from backup when the server fails, but rather have a live system operating with emails up-to-date or close-as-possible and all configurations with users, domain auth intact and ready to rock and roll. the solution does not require an automatic kick over but what id like is to be able to provide this to my clients.

Cheers
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

In third party tools page there are two availability applications listed that will do what you are wanting to do: http://www.kerio.com/connect/third-party
  •  
anthony.u

Hi Jeff,

So really if im looking for to the minute resolution then i can use these replication programs. If I am comfortable with longer differential times between live version and DR version then i can simply stop the kerio connect service > robocopy the kerio install + store > start the kerio service and have a 100% duplicate of the kerio server on the DR Server?

That seems pretty simple? Maybe i had always assumed there were some DB's involved with connect that made this impossible?

Has anyone out there actually done this? Redundancy in general - with third party applications or home brewed?

Thanks again

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 02:51]

•  
tonyswu

Semi redundancy is certainly achievable. Our Kerio server runs on a Mac Mini server. The system is cloned to another server once a day, and the data store is cloned to another storage once every 3 hour. If the server goes down, we flip a switch and the secondary server takes over (this is done manually from firewall routing). If the storage goes down, we point Kerio to the secondary storage and lose 3 hours worth of email, if recovery fails.
  •  
jelockwood

It should be possible to have a Mac server connected to a SAN or iSCSI storage device and keep a clone of the server. If the live server dies the clone could be turned on and connect identically to the same storage. This way no data would be lost.

It is possible to use a web managed power strip (I have used an APC one) to remotely turn on power to the socket for the spare server and for the server to then power-on and boot automatically on detecting the restoration of power.

It might also be possible to do the same sort of thing using a NAS and the NFS protocol. I do not believe AFP would be suitable as it starts too late in the boot process.
  •  
NK

I had read somewhere that Kerio needs to run on native storage? Reading these posts it would appear that is not the case?
  •  
TorW

Not sure what you mean with "native storage", but I guess Kerio Connect can run off of anything as long as the file system is mounted at boot time, or at least before the various daemons start up. Our diskless slave server runs KC from a SAN-disk.
  •  
NK

Sorry as I pressed 'post' I thought 'native' might be unclear! I just meant a directly attached disk subsystem.

This is the reply I had from Kerio pre-sales to some questions:

3. Are there any recommendations or concerns over Kerio running on Virtual Machines?

In particular I was thinking along the lines of disk I/O? I read that the Kerio message store directory needs to be directly attached and cannot be an NFS or SAN mount so I am assuming that I/O is quite heavy and VM disks can struggle in this regard.

Running on Virtual Machines is not a problem providing, the host server is not overload with continuous access to the disk.

Kerio mail store can only be mounted locally, so the be approach is to use a RAID for disk redundancy

4. Is there a recommended Linux file system for Kerio?
As each email is stored as a file I was wondering if a file system like XFS would be more suitable than EXT3/EXT4?

EXT3 and EXT4 are preferred to XFS
Previous Topic: Performance issues with web interface
Next Topic: the operation could not be completed osstatus error - 9807
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 16:08:05 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00480 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.