Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » How to use the L2TP protocol (My ISP uses a L2TP protocol to connect to the Internet)
  •  
Dealaxer

Send a private message to this user
How to use the L2TP protocol

My ISP uses a L2TP protocol to connect to the Internet. Kerio In such a protocol is not found. How can you connect via L2TP?

For earlier thanks.

And sorry for my English.
  •  
Goran

Um don't you get a router. then forward ports to kerio via LAN...

Question cannot be stupid, but some of the answers can.
  •  
silars

Think of L2TP more like a VPN technology, in this case. While Control doesn't manage L2TP natively, it should be able to make use of any OS managed VPN connectivity.

The easiest way I can think of is to deploy Control on a Windows device and use the existing L2TP connectivity under Windows. Kerio should see that VPN as an interface available for use. Everything should be normal after that.

If you are using an applicance or VM, you will need to gain access to the underlying OS and create the tunnels manually. I've done this before while trying some IPv6 tunneling technologies, but the changes were not persistent across reboots. You will need some advice from Kerio personnel on how to accomplish such a configuration.
  •  
Dealaxer

I did not use 2 workstations (2 computers) to connect online and share it locally online, this is ridiculous and absurd.
I need a software router to connect to the Internet L2TP and then transfer it to DHCP network.
I thought Kerio is a router that can connect and share, and control traffic.

Recommend me a good software router to connect to L2TP, really need
  •  
silars

How much money do you want to spend?
  •  
Dealaxer

Minimum of money, but in general it is better something that's free.
  •  
silars

It might be worth looking into the DD-WRT projects. There are a number of derivatives that allow operation on a fairly wide array of devices.

You won't get all the features of Control, but I think it might be what you are wanting. You could also consider a DD-WRT + Control configuration. Get the best of both worlds. I have done things in a similar manner to fill in some functionality.

I don't want to get too deep into recommendations on Kerio's forums.
  •  
Dealaxer

This is not exactly what you need. DD-WRT project is intended only for the hardware routers and only as firmware.
And I need a software router to your computer, no matter on what system, at least on Linux, at least for FreeBSD, at least for MacOSX, no matter on what.
Need to work on one computer and was connected via L2TP.
  •  
silars

I'm confused then. Are you excluding Windows OS? Or, were you wanting the router software to manage the L2TP tunneling, not the OS?
  •  
Dealaxer

I need OS software router based on Linux or FreeBSD for a computer that is a full server. A Windows I do not need it will be on the client machines.
  •  
silars

Kerio Control doesn't install onto any OS other than Windows. You wouldn't have had much luck. Kerio does support VMs/appliances that run on Linux, but I don't get the impression they really want to give shell access.

If are willing to manage VMs, you could attempt to load a Control VM and a dedicated L2TP VM based on Linux. This will require some hairpinning (traffic in/out the same interface) to make work.

Beyond that, someone else will have to chime in. My expertise is in hardware routers and Windows OS. You can also start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_dist ributions

I've always read about these, but have no experience in deploying them.
  •  
Dealaxer

Thank you for what you need
  •  
pcunix

silars wrote on Fri, 19 October 2012 12:57
Kerio Control doesn't install onto any OS other than Windows. You wouldn't have had much luck. Kerio does support VMs/appliances that run on Linux, but I don't get the impression they really want to give shell access.

See "To enable SSH " at http://kb.kerio.com/article/working-with-the-kerio-connect-v irtual-appliance-debian-edition-kerio-connect-73x-and-later- 784.html

[Updated on: Sat, 20 October 2012 00:11]

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
silars

You are right, pcunix. I know about that, but I was trying to be conservative in my assessment.

I never got the impression they were allowing that access to enable installing a slew of new services. It was primarily for administrative access to the Kerio product vs. "let me go turn a bunch of stuff on".

Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong Smile.
  •  
pcunix

silars wrote on Fri, 19 October 2012 19:33
You are right, pcunix. I know about that, but I was trying to be conservative in my assessment.

I never got the impression they were allowing that access to enable installing a slew of new services. It was primarily for administrative access to the Kerio product vs. "let me go turn a bunch of stuff on".

Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong Smile.

Oh, I agree. Installing stuff could be messy.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
Previous Topic: Cache BUG
Next Topic: Kerio VPN ping servername
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 06:36:11 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00555 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.