Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » IPhone always connects to KC via Cell
  •  
RPC_Admin

Send a private message to this user
I understand this may not be Kerio's issue per se, but was hoping for feedback from other if they noticed this, also hoping that if confirmed, Kerio might help push this.

I was updating Kerio Connect and noticed in the "Active Connections" screen of the Admin interface that all IPhones in use were connected via a wireless IP and not from wifi IPs. That is to say, I was at home and knew my IPhone was connected to my home wifi network, but Kerio Connect showed it as only connected via the cell network. When I put my phone into airplane mode with wifi enabled, then the kerio connect connection switch to my home IP address. I confirmed this to be the case with my other Iphone users.

In otherwords, when given the choice between active WiFi and the cell network, the phone by default chooses the cell network. Given tight data plans this could be an expensive bug. Does anyone else see this?

Thanks!

Iphone: 4S, iOS 6 with AT&T
KC: On Win XP Pro SP3, 7.4.3 and 7.4.1

•  
tonyswu

I just tried this on my iPhone and our Kerio server, it shows iPhone connecting via wifi IP.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, AT&T
KC on Mac OS X Server 10.7, version 7.4.1
  •  
netmax

If an Idevice is in standby (screen off) it turns off the WiFi ... so it stays in touch with KC over the cellular connection. Same for me here with all IPhones and IPads.

However, if you download mails, attachments etc. it'll use the WiFi.
  •  
Lucian Maly (Kerio)

netmax is exactly correct - packets are normally routed via WiFi, because the route will go in the direction of the gateway with the lowest metric (higher priority). If the phone is in stand by mode, Exchange ActiveSync heartbeat (ICMP ping) must still be presented and thus it is routed via GSM network and visible in "Active Connections" as coming from GSM IP address.

Kerio Technologies AU Pty Ltd.
  •  
RPC_Admin

This isn't when the phone is in standby.

For example I just grabbed my Iphone, and checked my email every 5 seconds for 5 minutes. While at the same time I watched the active connections in the server admin. My phone is connected to my internal wireless (internal IP 192.*.*.* or external IP 72.X.X.X). My phone was listed in the KC Admin Active Connections panel as having IP 198.X.X.X throughout. I understand when the phone is in standby or just 'waking up' it'll fall over to the GSM IP and shutoff wireless, but this seems to ALWAYS be on GSM.

Attached is a screenshot of my active connections. I have clipped out only the Iphones attached (2 of them) and have obscured some personal info. Note all IPs of phones are 198.*.*.*, this is the GSM IP. This was snapped during my test above, some my phone was actively, manually checking email for more than 5 min.

•  
UnifiedTechs-Brian

Apple just released an update to iOS (6.0.1), and I know there have been documented issues where iPhones won't properly use wifi when available and stay on cellular, Verizon released a patch though I know AT&T users have complained also.

Try the update and see if it helps.

- Brian
Kerio Preferred Partner, Reseller & Hosting Provider
Unified Technology Solutions
Previous Topic: fault in calendar
Next Topic: Kerio Connect and Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 04:48:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00520 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.