Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » how do I send files to non-workspace-users?
  •  
Klaus_dom

Send a private message to this user
I need to send a file to a client from my workspace server, how would you suggest to do this?

Since the links available in Workspace only is usefull if you have a login, this doesn't seem like a good option.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 November 2012 11:42]

•  
Machete

This is one of the many box.com type features many other Workspace users have been repeatedly asking for... we keep hoping that something will come along.

Visit the Suggest an Idea page from the Administration Splash screen of your workspace installation - in there are a couple different Ideas that you can vote for.
  •  
GlennK

You could create a 'guest" login/space or a specific login/space for that client and put the files there for them.
  •  
Machete

GlennK wrote on Sun, 25 November 2012 19:19
You could create a 'guest" login/space or a specific login/space for that client and put the files there for them.

The problem with creating a separate space and moving the file is you have to remove the file from it's "proper" or "original" location.

Here is a use case example from my company: We store all the project files together in a single file library - and if I just need to send a drawing to a customer - I don't want to remove the drawing from the Project File and put it in a different space because now someone else from within the company is going to think the drawing never got created, deleted or spend time trying to figure out where it went.

I know I keep saying this but box.com is great example of a hybrid between collaboration and file management. On Box you can send a link for a specific file regardless of where it's stored in your "box".
  •  
GlennK

No, you don't have to move it. You can do 1 of 2 things

A: Upload a copy to a new location.
B: Simply give permission to the file where it is and give the client the direct link to it.

I know B sounds strange, but if you give them the direct link they will be able to access the file but not get to it by simply logging in and digging through folders. I haven't fully explored this, but have accidentally given links like this and my people have told me they can get to the page but ONLY if I send them the direct link. Try it.
  •  
nunz

hi glenn

this sounds very useful, but i haven't been able to get this to work here?

By sending a direct link, are you suggesting the link provided in the 'link to this file' option? Are you sending the 'preview' or direct download version?

I'd love to know how you get this to work, as when we use it here the 'download' link fails even when sending to registered user....unless they are already logged in.

love to hear how you got this to work.

ciao
  •  
nunz

for clarity, the attached shows the page we see when we get the error.

./fa/2912/0/

•  
Jaromir Obr (Kerio)

nunz wrote on Wed, 30 January 2013 07:01
for clarity, the attached shows the page we see when we get the error.

./fa/2912/0/

Hi,

this issue will be fixed in 2.1

Regards

Jaromir Obr
Senior Tester
Kerio Technologies
  •  
Lisa Lyons (Kerio)

Also, please remember that even though you may have linked to a file in several pages, Workspace identifies duplicate files and keeps only one copy.

Kerio Technical Support
Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
nunz

Hi Jaromir and Lisa

Thnx for the feedback.

Lisa: in regards to your response, I am using the 'link to file' option, which i presume would send the 'true' link to the the copy of the file (irrespective of the page it is located on)? Is this correct?

and Jaromir: that is great that this will be fixed in 2.1. Can you clarify what will be fixed? Will it be that the error will go away? Or that when you click on such a link, you will be either taken to the file you are looking for, or the login page and THEN taken to the file?

Once again, thnx so much for your help...this has been a bug bear.

ciao
  •  
Jaromir Obr (Kerio)

nunz wrote on Thu, 31 January 2013 00:52

and Jaromir: that is great that this will be fixed in 2.1. Can you clarify what will be fixed? Will it be that the error will go away? Or that when you click on such a link, you will be either taken to the file you are looking for, or the login page and THEN taken to the file?

ciao

Hi,

it's as you said. In 2.1 if you open a link to the file, you will be authenticated in your browser and the file will be downloaded. No error page occurs. Of course if you have already established a session, the authentication isn't needed.

Regards

Jaromir Obr
Senior Tester
Kerio Technologies
  •  
nunz

fantastic!!

dare i ask how long we might need to wait for this release? I know you can't give me any dates....this and a few other items are making me hold off on rolling it out down here...but 2.1 sounds promising!

Is there any info regarding what might (or might not!) be addressed in the 2.1 release?

once again, thnx so much for the insight!

ciao
  •  
nunz

also, earlier in the thread, there was discussion regarding sending a direct link to a download file to an external user...and that apparently works?

Doesn't work here....would this work in the upcoming release?

thnx again
  •  
Milan Vytlačil (Kerio)

Hello,

I'd like to make it clear. The new Kerio Workspace 2.1 will contain a feature which allows users to share a page with an external users. This version will also bring some other new (and useful) features. The Kerio Workspace 2.1 will be released later today, January 31st 2013.
Have a nice day,

--
Milan Vytlačil
2nd level Technical Support Engineer
Kerio Technologies
Anglické nábřeží 1/2434, 301 49 Plzeň
tel. 377 338 902, fax 377 338 921
nunz

wow! thnx Milan.

I'll get downloading as soon as i can!

Down here in Australia, the 31st is nearly over!! Dare i hope that we will be able to duplicate spaces? Making copies of any pages inside?

look forward to it!
Previous Topic: Multiple images on a page
Next Topic: EOL options
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 03:47:08 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00561 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.