Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Further development
  •  
marek-lib

Send a private message to this user
Hello,
as you write, Control 7.4 is the last version which is available to run on Windows. What version do you plan to dvelop in future? Is Hyper-V a new Windows alternative of Kerio Control? Will it be possible to run Hyper-V KC on Windows Server 2012?
I also use Kerio Connect. Is it also going to be this way in future? I would like to know this information becase I'm planning to buy a new server so I want to be prepared for your software. I suppose that in Hyper-V there will be no way to install Control and Connect on one virtual machine. Am I right?
Thanks for the answer.
  •  
Lewald

The big Problem with hyper-v here is that you cannot use anymore Dial in devices.
And yes you have to build 2 VMs. And the Performance in Vm is not the same as native.

We begin to serch for alternate products. For both products now. We have serveral Customers with combination of Connect and Control. For any tips i´am open.

Kerio become more and more an Company with bad Support for Windows Users.

Bye bye Kerio.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

marek-lib wrote on Fri, 02 November 2012 12:39

I also use Kerio Connect. Is it also going to be this way in future?
Thanks for the answer.

No. There is no change for Kerio Connect. It will be still available for all three platforms.
  •  
pcunix

I expect that more companies will be doing similar things.

Microsoft's computing monopoly is over.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
silars

I'm not sure I'd rule Microsoft out yet. In fact, they appear to actually be gaining momentum in enterprise computing. VMware was dominating the discussion in the virtual world. Hyper-V is now catching up, some say caught up. Cost models are starting to favor Microsoft.

Kerio's move is more a statement about where enterprise computing is moving: Virtualized. Right now, fighting against virtualization is fighting upstream.

By moving to a virtualized infrastructure, I've increase performance, decreased capex (less hardware needed), and reduced opex (less power/cooling). Your classic pitch for moving to a virtualized infrastructure.

I applaud Kerio for making this decision. It is a savvy move. I just wished they had released that Hyper-V appliance earlier. Operator needs a Hyper-V appliance, too (hint, hint). I decided to go VMware because of those limitations, when I really wanted to deploy Hyper-V.
  •  
Lewald

And more and more Customer found nice rplacement for Kerio Products.
There is no reson any more for Kerio.
  •  
silars

As consumers, we want a diversified, competitive market place. We want alternatives. It's good to hear that is the case.

However, I don't see any way that other companies that are serious about the SMB market don't make the same decisions. Virtualization can be done for free, whether you choose VMware or Hyper-V.
  •  
pcunix

Lewald wrote on Sat, 03 November 2012 09:02
And more and more Customer found nice rplacement for Kerio Products.
There is no reson any more for Kerio.

Although this hardly deserves any response, I'll make one anyway.

Of course there are alternatives to Kerio. That's a given and no one who sells or uses Kerio products would argue with you.

Of course some customers will move to those alternatives. Some who use those alternatives now will move to Kerio also, but what the net flow is from year to year is not anything easy to determine. As a large Kerio reseller, I can tell you that I lose a few clients every year, but I gain far more. Whether that's typical for all Kerio resellers I cannot say or even guess.

More important to me and to Kerio is that their main product (Connect) is in real danger of becoming insignificant. I don't know anyone who doesn't detest email in general - email is something companies are forced to have but really don't want. There are alternatives to email - things like web contact forms, user forums, Google Plus, Facebook and even collaboration products like Kerio Workspace can sometimes take up some of the work of email and I think that trend will grow stronger.

Cloud email, free and otherwise, also threatens Connect. However, the advantages of running your own email still convince many to stay with that and even leave free email to set up in-house servers. Therefore, there most definitely ARE reasons for Kerio Connect specifically.

As to reasons for Kerio in general, they make three other products that do a very nice job filling needs in other markets.

I understand why some will be angered by Control dropping Windows support, but that is a small-minded and very short sighted attitude.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 November 2012 20:15]

Tony Lawrence
  •  
pcunix

silars wrote on Sat, 03 November 2012 09:01
I'm not sure I'd rule Microsoft out yet. In fact, they appear to actually be gaining momentum in enterprise computing. VMware was dominating the discussion in the virtual world. Hyper-V is now catching up, some say caught up. Cost models are starting to favor Microsoft.

I'm not counting them out. I'm just saying that their near monopoly is over. Virtualization, the Cloud and tablets have taken that away from them - there is no absolute need to include Microsoft versions for many products/apps today.

The need is stronger when you want to sell to very small companies. That's why I expect Connect will keep a Windows version for much longer than anything else. With Control specifically, the non-appliance versions are not only unnecessary, but most customers don't even want them: until we had the 1110 and the 3110, I sold very little Kerio Control, but now I can barely get through a week without selling or at least quoting a box. The customers mostly don't know or care what OS is running that box, of course.

Though honestly, if Microsoft did crash and burn, it couldn't happen to a more deserving company Smile

Tony Lawrence
  •  
silars

pcunix wrote on Sat, 03 November 2012 15:27
Though honestly, if Microsoft did crash and burn, it couldn't happen to a more deserving company Smile

My only problem is I can't think of anyone *more* deserving of my money.

Google is more sketchy than Microsoft. Apple is showing cracks in the post-Jobs era and was always terrible at enterprise computing.

The Linuxes still offer a fragmented ecosystem, while their base gnaws at each other about how to evolve. Attempts to evolve are criticized unnecessarily and excessively (Ubuntu's Unity, etc.).

I've gone around that track a few times, but I keep coming back to Microsoft, the lesser of all evils.

P.S. Yes, I realize this very likely to de-rail this thread. Surprised

[Updated on: Sat, 03 November 2012 21:14]

Previous Topic: Webfilter - can't enable it
Next Topic: Advanced IPS settings - protocol-specific detection. Can more be added ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Aug 18 10:51:36 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00454 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.