Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Question regarding KMSRECOVERY (Should be an easy answer.)
  •  
SineTimore

Send a private message to this user
This shouldn't be too hard, and I am sure it will alleviate the headaches of many an IT guy using Kerio...

What is an approximate duration for the KMSRecovery tool: Full Recovery? I've read that it shows a duration and I know it has a command to hide the "progress" bar but I've been sitting at "Backup File Version.1" for over an hour now (almost 2 hours actually). The mail-server is approximately 75 gigs in total (email stores, public folders, the whole kit and caboodle). The Backup file is on a network storage drive, over a gigabit connection. Both machines running server 2k8, IPV6 enabled, minimal network traffic since we are in a maintenance window. I tried CTRL_SHFT_R to start a log file, and all it shows is 99%. I can provide a screenshot if requested/required.

I just need to know if I should run home to grab a pillow and a blanket (if it will keep me here overnight) or if I can plan on leaving at a reasonable hour. Not to mention, the entire time this process is going on, our companies live email service is down... we do contracts with the government as well as private industry, if this process is to take more then 4 hrs (1/2 working day) it should be (should HAVE been sorry...) documented in how long the Kerio Connect Service has to be disabled...

I didn't want to create a Tech Support ticket for the question "How long does your program take" as that SHOULD be included in the manual (if nothing else, brief estimates). Maybe we can find that information so it can be on the Kerio 7.4.X guide Rolling Eyes Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Again TL;DR or TL;CRE (Can't read English): How long does/should kmsrecovery take on average? I could really use the help!

-MM

Sine Timore. Semper Sine Timore.
  •  
SineTimore

Ok, so it has moved past the "version" problem and is currently going through our Archive account (I know this will take some time) but it seems to me that a lack of "abort" command to safely cancel a recovery, and the lack of estimated time of completion are definitely feature improvements Kerio could make. Don't get me wrong, it has been an awesome program to work with, and the functionality is extremely versatile for an Exchange alternative, especially for the price. These small details however would make life much easier for customers and your support team alike (I'd assume) and so I still wouldn't mind if someone who has performed this task multiple times on multiple platforms (like a QA Test Engineer, assuming Kerio has one...) could help us out with a simple "well this is how long it took us with 'X' configuration. Your 'Y' configuration should take approx 'Z' hrs.". Please and Thankyou, -MM

•  
SineTimore

Sooo... it is now 1831EST and I am not sure what to expect first, this restoration to complete or someone at Kerio (or just a normal member) to reply... I've already combed the KB database, and it was my task to read through the 7.4.3 manual entirely to develop SOP on email Usage etc, so I know the information is not listed there. Unless Kerio is suggesting I either waste one of my companies two free calls on the question "How long should this take" or "why don't you guys offer a progress bar on your console executable backup recovery program(a feature that has been rather common since the 1990s)". I've read the "important" threads and outside of submitting a "feature request" on support, I figured the forums would be the appropriate medium for this question. If I am incorrect, even just a post saying "make a ticket" or "Submit the request on the support site" would be better then " " (nothing). I'll keep checking back for updates, hopefully I can find an answer before the server finishes, if not, I'll gladly provide the answer for the low cost of 80$ for the incident resolution, I can list my paypal if needed Rolling Eyes -MM

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Recovery takes approximately the same amount of time as full backup does. It's a reverse operation.
  •  
SineTimore

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Sat, 03 November 2012 18:50
Recovery takes approximately the same amount of time as full backup does.

We use Differential backups, so does that mean the process will take as long as each backup process took? Also, the fact that the archival process dictates we use our Fileserver for the backup location, meaning we have network traffic (both ways, but obviously our network is severely less busy outside of normal business hours, such as the 13 hours I've been in today..)

Quote:

It's a reverse operation.

Except that the backup uses the Kerio Webmail Administration interface, which specifies far more information then the KMSRecover module. I think we can all agree that the restoration of a files is a bit more complicated then the backup of files. If not, why not use the same program/interface for both? (If it was a simple "reverse operation")

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me, I am still worried about the duration of this process however, as of right now its taken over 2 hours to restore less then 250K emails... is this an issue with the KMSRecover module or is this potentially something on our server? I am just trying to understand if the issues we've been receiving are due to a failure on the configuration side of things (our end) a limitation of the program itself (developers end) or an issue with the network infrastructure (our ISP's end), I'm hoping to find this answer out so when the inevitable blame-game comes from management, I can give them a better answer then "Ask Kerio, they don't really have baseline metrics for these things nor is there a progress bar/status indicator on the programs success factor.".

That's all I'm going for here.

Previous Topic: Kerio Connect and Firewall Rules.
Next Topic: Double-Take Replication with Websphere Application Server 7
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 16:41:03 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00445 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.