Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » License & Servers ?
  •  
applehorsti

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

maybe a stupid question, but I just wonder how the license are handled with servers ? I understand that everybody who wants to connect to the internet behind kerio control needs a user at the firewall ? So whats with servers e.g. mail server etc ? I ask because I am running an VMWARE ESXI Host with 12 serves on it. So users are only a handful, but whats with the servers ? Do I need a user for each server who needs connect to the internet ?

Thanks,

Horst

[Updated on: Sun, 04 November 2012 17:19]

•  
pcunix

According to Kerio's Licensing and Software Maintenance FAQ :

"A user is an account with login access to Kerio Control and its services."

A server generally doesn't need login access because it is a SERVER - it "serves" or answers requests and that doesn't consume licenses (consider that thousands of people might connect through your firewall to your email server).

In the Kerio Control Administrators Guide, a "User is defined as a person who is permitted to connect to Kerio Control and its services". A server isn't a person, either Smile

If you wanted to filter and track OUTBOUND access from that server, that would be different. Let's say the server goes out to the internet every night to spider other sites but you want that controlled by Kerio's web filter. I'd say you need a license for that because it would be acting like a person and it would be using Control's features. but that would be extremely unusual.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
applehorsti

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, but.....

You are right, the servers never logged in. But what happens when I want that lets say my kerio mailserver only have port 25 open from inside to outside ? So are policy rules possible on IP adress base ? If yes, then everything is clear for me and I will start installation a test version on my ESXI server to see what kerion control can do for me. Otherwise I need to search for an firewall how can do that.

Thanks,
Regards,
Horst
  •  
silars

Policy rules are possible on IP addresses. At least, that's how I'm doing it Smile.

You can also create pseudo-Users that are mapped to IPs, if you wish to do User functions on them. You can also map Users to multiple IPs (Server user for example). A User license grants 5 IPs recognized by the firewall. The software will also allocate extra Users to account for more than 5 IPs used for particular User (in blocks of 5). Thus, if a User needs a 6th, they are given another User account for up to 10 IPs.

My simplisitic approach is that a 10 user license = 50 managed IPs. It's not always that simple, but it works for most situations.
  •  
UnifiedTechs-Brian

As Silars stated you get 5 devices per license... this is to cover laptops, Tablets, PDAs, and Smartphones your users have as well as a few generic network devices (Wireless AP, Security Camara Systems, Phone Systems, etc..)

Most businesses will only need to worry about 1 license per user but I always suggest they add another licensed user for every 5 servers if they have a small number of users, or a few extra if they run a public WiFi.

- Brian
Kerio Preferred Partner, Reseller & Hosting Provider
Unified Technology Solutions
Previous Topic: HTTPS traffic filtering
Next Topic: Cannot connect VPN after upgrade to v7.4.0-final
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Aug 20 11:45:03 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00425 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.