Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Duplicate and Archive Spaces
  •  
nunz

Send a private message to this user
Hi everyone

I am really excited about the idea of replace our production files and folder with Kerio Workspace. IT pretty much does EVERYTHING my users need....however there are 2 things that are stopping me from rolling it out immediately. We have been a long time user of Kerio Connect and are big Kerio fans!

However, I can't seem to work out how to do a couple of things.... and I'm wondering if anyone has any clever work arounds or other ways to achieve the same thing, or if there is a 'roadmap' as to when some of these features might be added.

For reference, we are a TV production company.

Anyway, here is what i'm trying to work out.

1. Duplicate spaces.

So our current workflow involves creating a folder on a server for every project we pitch on or develop for a client. This folder contains a standard subset of folders and documents that is created by a script. The script creates the folders with particular ACL permissions allowing certain users to add items into the folder, but not delete the folder itself.

Once the folder exists, users access the files and folders via AFP/smb etc.

The current 'templete' has around 8 folders and around 10 documents.

In my 'plan' we would want to replicate this with Workspace, however it would require having a 'template' workspace with a number of 'pages' already created with the correct components attached. I know this still provides a more 'open' permission model than i currently have (most people will be contributors and therefore will be able to DELETE entire pages... but that should be ok, with some training!!)

It seems you currently CANNOT duplicate an entire space, rather just the pages. Does anyone know a way to accomplish this?

The alternative approach i have considered is to create the 'template' pages and have an 'admin' user add them to a newly created space.

However this brings me to my next problem.

2. Archiving spaces.

In a 'normal' year we would create over 500 projects. In my above example, if i were to 'duplicate' each template page to a new project, it seems that it will list EVERY project in the system (not just my favourite spaces). So as you can imagine sifting through a list of 1000 projects is not really going to work in our installation.

I think there are 2 ways to tackle this problem.... 1 would be for the pop selection list to just show 'favourite' projects rather than all of the projects. Or 2, have the ability to 'archive' a space which would mean there would be another 'category' for spaces (favourites/all/archived) which would mean that the items in the 'archived' section would not be able to have anything added to them and they wouldn't appear in the selection lists.... but would of course be searchable!!

Does anyone know of a way i could achieve this or am I approaching the problem in the wrong way?

Or (to anyone from kerio listening!) Are these features or something similar planned for a future release? I have voted on the suggestion board and am hopeful they will make it in soon. As I mentioned above, these are the limiting factors from moving our 20 users over to the platform!

I look forward to hearing from any and all of you with your ideas and suggestions!

kind regards

nunz

•  
Tomas Rondik (Kerio)

Hello,
in the first place, thank you for your suggestions. This kind of feedback is very useful for us. To the suggestions:

1. Duplicate spaces: I created a suggestion in our internal system for this. Unfortunately, I cannot say whether or when this will be implemented.

2. Archiving spaces: At this time, there are only two categories - Favorites and All Spaces. But what about following idea: Create a space Archived on the root level and adjust the sharing rights that you are the administrator and all other users are only readers. Once a project is finished, move the project to the Archived, open its Sharing dialog and click on the Use rights from Archived link at the bottom on the left.
If you do this, then you don't have to go throw all the projects every time you duplicate a page. And nobody except of you is able to create new spaces, pages, and components as well as upload a new file or image or edit any component. Of course, it will be still searchable via Workspace Search.

Please, let me know whether this is a solution for you.

Best regards,

Tomas Rondik
Quality Engineer
Kerio Technologies
Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.
  •  
nunz

Hi Tomas

Thanks so much for the response.

As I mentioned, these are the sticking points before i roll this out for our company.

Your suggestion for the archived spaces works nicely, AND I can use the same methodology for 'new' space templates as well ( in regards permissions).

I think if i create the new space, duplicate the template pages to it, then MOVE it to a space called 'LIVE' (which is in all users favourites), the have the new space use the permission for the 'LIVE' space, i don't need to set permissions for each space individually. This permissions inheritance is a great feature.... you should promote it more widely!!

Of course, for some projects that don't require a 'space' but just need a single page, the permission changes as it moves from space to space!

The benefit of having a 'true' archived space would be that you could move them offline when storage becomes an issue? I know that is a bigger problem, but one i suspect workspace will have to address at some point. Migrating to larger storage won't always be possible, and it's also possible (for legal purposes for example) that some users REQUIRE spaces older than a certain age to be NOT searchable and be removed from the 'daily' server and perhaps be available on an offline version. So i'l lbe interested to see what happens with this.

The next 'nice' thing would be for only certain users to be able to 'delete' a space. So perhaps being a contributor allows you to create spaces (but not re-assign admin permission) therefore you can only DELETE spaces you are admin of. But you could then contribute to spaces and ADMIN has created, and not DELETE those spaces. Just a thought anyway.

Again, thnx so much for your response and I look forward to seeing the further development of the product as it is 'nearly' perfect for our needs.

thnx so much once again.

nunz
Previous Topic: Way for an administrator to set a user's profile photo
Next Topic: Missing Features, AGAIN!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Aug 22 18:52:16 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00363 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.