Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Packet loss through Kerio Control 7.4.0 (Loosing packets going through Kerio Control)
  •  
Quentinb

Send a private message to this user
Hi Guys,

I seem to be having lots of trouble with KC 7.4.0 (P1 and without P1). Mad

I built a Windows Hyper-V machine from scratch with 2x 1Gig NICs, 8G Ram, I5 CPU. I setup the Kerio Control Hyper-V image from the Kerio site and am running 1x LAN connection and 4x (VLAN) WAN connections. The KC machine has 2VCPUs and 1G RAM.

There are a few rules etc but what I am trying to establish is why KC would be dropping packets. I run a ping from a machine on my network to KC and one ping to a site out site KC. KC is setup as the default gateway so to get to the site on the other side you have to go through KC.

I get timeouts pinging the KC LAN interface and at the same time I get timeouts to the site on the other side. I run a ping to a server inside my network to monitor switch as well and the pings to the server are always less than 1ms. KC jumps from 1ms to 1000ms with packet loss.

I ran wireshark on the LAN inteface going to KC and wireshark on the WAN interface of KC (see screenshot). I can see the packet arrive at KC, but it does not make it through. I checked the KC logs and enabled "packed dropped for some reason" in the debug section and KC does not show a single thing for the source or destination IP.

Kerio, please help. We run VoIP over this system and it is killing our phone calls. Everytime the latency goes over 50ms, the calls break up and is causing big trouble for our company.

./fa/2833/0/

*** UPDATE ***
It appears as though the timeouts are somehow linked to perhaps a DNS resolution issue. If I open about 20 bookmarks in the my browser, the LAN interface on the KC box throws ping timeouts like crazy pretty much until all the sites in the bookmark list has resolved their DNS and start loading. Once all DNS are resolved, the pings go back to about 1 ms while the pages load. If I disable the DNS forwarding in KC, this issues does not occur, but then after about 5 minutes, pretty much all internet browsing stops until I re-enable the DNS forwarding and then the issue above re-appears.

*** UPDATE 2 ***
I have rebuilt a Kerio 7.3.2 P1 machine an the problem has gone away. The screen shot below shows a KC 7.4.0 P1 ping response (TOP) and the bottom one is KC 7.3.2 P1 ping graph. The experiment was conducted from the same machine, using the same bookmark list, using the excat same internet links as well as the exact same network cards etc. I just changed the proxy settings in my browser to switch between the two machines.

Sorry Kerio.... I loved your products but the QC is slipping guys. First the VPN issue and now this. It has cost us two weeks of investigation to determine that it is KC itself and not our ISP nor any hardware.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 November 2012 15:51]

•  
Quentinb

./fa/2835/0/

• Attachment: Capture2.jpg
    (Size: 143.58KB, Downloaded 917 times)
  •  
Goran

Try disable cache.

Question cannot be stupid, but some of the answers can.
  •  
Svetlana Spiglazova Kerio

Hello,

Thank you for your report.
Our developers are working on a fix for this issue. The fix should be available in the next Kerio Control version, Kerio Control 8.0.
Unfortunately, the only solution now is disable HTTP cache in Kerio Control.

Best regards,
Svetlana Spiglazova
Technical Support Engineer
............................................................ ..................
Kerio Technologies
............................................................ ..................
Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Previous Topic: Need help understanding specific traffic rules
Next Topic: Unable to access adobe.com
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 20:54:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00444 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.