Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Looking for tips... Moving Connect and Workspace to new Mac Mountain Lion server (Moving Kerio to new Mac server)
  •  
MacDuff

Send a private message to this user
We have Kerio Connect and Workspace running on aging Mac Mini servers running Mac OS X 10.6.8 with FireWire drives for the data.

We are about to migrate to new quad-core Mac Mini servers running Mac OS X 10.8.2 with Thunderbolt RAIDs.

The primary responsibility for the move has fallen to me. I'm far from an expert at Kerio software.

I have found some kbase articles covering the subject of moving data to new computers, specifically these articles on moving Kerio Connect and Workspace data:

Connect:
kb.kerio.com/article.php?id=360
manuals.kerio.com/kmsag/en/sect-kmsrecover.html

Workspace:
kb.kerio.com/article/how-to-move-data-store-to-a-different-f older-machine-798.html

I was hoping that I could get some practical tips for making the migration go as smoothly and easily as possible. Not just Kerio tips, but also relating to configuring the Mac servers for Kerio.

I have little more than a rough plan right now: Install Kerio Connect and Workspace on the new Macs; Copy the data to the new drives; re-link the apps to the data-stores.

The new Macs will use the same licenses as the old ones. Is there anything to watch out for when activating licenses that have already been used on another computer?

Are there any "gotchas" to watch out for when moving SSL certificates and configuring DNS?

The backup and restore process outlined in the first Kerio Connect kbase article seem unnecessarily complex. Couldn't I just copy/clone the store volume to the new Mac's external drive and then edit mailserver.cfg on the new Mac to point to the new store?

What else am I missing? What problems am I likely to encounter?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
  •  
My IT Indy

Yeah, you need to be careful about webdav on ML Server. If you're going to use it for filesharing then Kerio and ML server will fight for ports. And Kerio will lose.

If you are going to use webdav, or any web services on ML Server then I would recommend considering Workspace in a VM inside Fusion with a bridged network.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
MacDuff

Thank you!

We're not using web services. I'll make sure that WebDAV is disabled as well!

Anything else to watch out for?
  •  
ORM

Hi

IMHO it is very easy to move kerio...

Install KC on the new server then just turn of KC on the original Mac and new Mac and move the store to where you want (if you are not using the same external. if you are then no problems, everything is the same), licence folder, and the 2 config (users & mailserver) files to the kerio folder in /usr/local/kerio/mailserver. Then turn on kerio on the new mac and point the store folder to the new location and restart KC from the control panel. Job done

The bigger pain is the mac mini itself if you want to config the 2 drives as a mirror (you do don't you??). With the new OS and macmini you have no CD or CD drive. If the drive dies you are expected to reboot using the hidden recovery partition and download. The problem is 1. how do you create the mirror 2. if you do have a mirror you have no recovery partition (you cannot have a recovery partition on a mirror) 3. you cannot replace a dead drive with another one as it will have no recovery partition.

Here is what to do...
1. Out of the box build the server exactly how you want it (without the kerio data)
2. Get an external drive and clone the boot drive to the external
3. boot from the clone and using disk util mirror the 2 mac mini drives
4. If you are going to have the mail store on the mirror, partition the drive into 2 as you do not want the mail store to go crazy and fill the drive, crashing the server (been there, got the t-shirt. Unsubtle hint to Kerio... when will the server email the admin to tell them the drive is nearly full?? )
5. Clone the boot drive back to the mac mini from the external and restart
6. Set up kerio store
7. Make a disk image of the boot disk you created and keep it safe if you need to replace drives/reinstall etc

Hope this helps. Good luck

[Updated on: Wed, 05 December 2012 19:51]

•  
My IT Indy

Don't use profile manager either, that will enable apache and kill your webmail as well.

I honestly wouldn't even try and run Kerio products on ML server, I would either run them in a VM on Fusion on the mini or choose another platform. You can get a pretty good Linux server for the price of a mini.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
MacDuff

Thanks, guys!

So, I shouldn't expect a problem licensing Kerio on the new server using the license codes from the old server?

Nothing to watch out for when moving the SSL cert to the new server?

This may be the wrong forum for it, but we're also migrating Workspace. Anything to watch out for when moving Workspace to a new server?

We're not going to mirror the boot drive. The plan is to have a clone instead, using CCC to make scheduled nightly backups. The mail-store will be on a Thunderbolt drive, and the backup of the mail-store will be on a second Thunderbolt drive.
  •  
anarvey

| Don't use profile manager either, that will enable apache and kill your webmail as well.

Haha. Don't use anything! Turning on VPN will also start apache.
Previous Topic: Virus Scanner and Spam Filter Issue
Next Topic: New Webmail mail send problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 24 10:36:48 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00477 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.