Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Limit Kerio offline connector smtp conections (Limit Kerio offline connector smtp conections)
  •  
pedro geraldes

Send a private message to this user
Hi there i´m having trouble with some of my users in the commercial department, here´s whats happening i have my kerio running on server 2008 and all my clients are on other 2008 terminal server, all of them are configured with kerio outlook offline with outlook 2003,i´m having trouble with 2 or 3 users that are sending 10000 emails at once and then they overload the server and my servers connection( and my IP REPUTATION), i already limit smtp messages from ip to 100 but that wont affect a thing since the connection is established via http, i limit the smtp connections, i limit the queue threats, i limit the http connections to the less possible and nothing stops the connections from that users. Sometimes i see 20 connections on queue processing and 30 pages on queue. How can i stop that users from sending mass mail, is there any way to limit the messages sent from one user in particular or a group not in size but in quantity. I really need some lights here. i cant find how to stop them. i already told them but if the systems allows it they will keep doing it.
Hope someone could help.
Thanks in advanced

Pedro
  •  
TorW

The setting "Max number of concurrent SMTP connections from one IP address" is useless in this setting, as you have figured out already. What you want to adjust is "Maximum number of delivery threads" under the "Queue options" tab.

This setting controls how many simultaneous outbound deliveries Kerio will do, no matter how large the queue is. Receiving mail servers will also (probably) throttle your deliveries, in which case the messages go back in the queue for another delivery attempt. The queue will eventually become empty, so don't panic. You may also want to adjust delivery retry interval. 15 minutes is a nice ballpark-ish number.

The number of mails in the queue should not be a problem, unless you are running out of disk space.

That being said, I think this person's mailling list or distribution list would benefit from being sent from somewhere else, like from a professional mailsender. Bounce handling and unsubscribes must be a mammoth task, if it's done at all. Classic case of crapping your own nest, if you ask me.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 December 2012 10:29]

•  
puretech

I agree with TorW (and also thanks as I have decreased my retry interval)

Also, for 1000s of emails, we use mailchimp. I dont like sending bulk emails from my mail server as there are more chances of it getting into spam list or black list.

•  
pedro geraldes

Hi TorW and Puretech thanks for the reply, regarding to your advice's i already set the queue maximum delivery threads to 3 and when that user sends the big amount of emails my queue threads is about 20 30 connections simultaneously, and that's why i´m getting really hungry because they are bypassing the system, regarding to the retry setting i have 40 minutes because if i get grey listed 15 minutes is a very little short of time to the recipient server notice that i am not a spammer. Have someone experienced this problem? By smtp the queue threads works great but by kerio offline connector(http) it doesn't, i started to think changing the kerio conector for imap and then they would have to use smtp. But i have 96 users on that site and would be a pain in ......
Hope someone could help here
Thanks in advanced

Pedro
  •  
TorW

This sounds to me like one of those problems you cannot solve by technical means alone. This is simply not how you send professional bulk mail, and I would probably not like being at the other end of such a mailing run.

We send about that same amount of messages when we mail out newsletters from our webshop, but everything is handled by an external bulk sender (mailmojo.no). I was asked if we could do this via our own Kerio Connect, but it took me all of five minutes to explain why it's not a good idea.

External bulk mailers give you bounce handling, unsubscriptions, various statistics on sending, stats on reading and so forth. Probably more useful than 2000 bounce messages from mailer daemons and postmasters across the country (or globe).

If the marketing guys absolutely MUST handle this themselves, a dedicated public IP, bulk mailing software and a separate mail server (using any MTA you like) is better than what they use now.
Previous Topic: In IE9 connect client dont show up only old webmail
Next Topic: Koff/outlook Hi CPU
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 21:26:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00407 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.