Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mailing List Time Out Period (Mailing List - Time Out)
  •  
Kcaldera

Send a private message to this user
Kerio 7.4.3 Build 7813

Description:
We have several mailing lists. Each mailing list is set to require Moderator approval before any responses to the initial message are posted. My understanding is that when someone responds to the initial message, the moderators get a message asking them to deny or approve the message. If the moderator denies the message, a response is sent back to the sender stating the request was denied. If the moderator does nothing, the message sits in a queue until it times out, and a response is sent to the sender stating the request was denied.

Question:
How long is the time out period before the request is auto denied?
Is there a way to change that time out period?
When the messages sit in the queue waiting for approval, or denial, where can I find those messages?

Thanks for your time and help.
KC
  •  
Lucian Maly (Kerio)

As far as I know there is no auto-denial. If no one will approve you or disapprove you, nothing will simply happen. What do you mean by "message sits in a queue"? You mean the moderator's mailbox?

Kerio Technologies AU Pty Ltd.
  •  
Lucian Maly (Kerio)

Sorry, I was mistaken. You are right, there is a period of 7 days if moderator will not accept/deny membership. Physically this e-mail is stored at ../#lists/[MAILINGLIST_NAME]/requests/
I will find out if the period of 7 days can be changed or if it is hardcoded.

•  
Kcaldera

Thanks for your time and help. I found the same article info today.
http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-mlistusa ge.html

I have asked Kerio support for help, to see if there is a way to modify the "time out" period. I will post anything useful they provide.

Thanks!
  •  
Lucian Maly (Kerio)

Unfortunately it is hardcoded and cannot be changed, I just confirmed it. Why would you need to change this value?

•  
Kcaldera

My boss wants messages that are waiting for moderator approval to simply drop off without notifying the sender. He does not want people to know if their messages were looked at or not. The time out period puts a kink in that because it auto generates a response to the sender that the message was not approved.

So...other questions...

If I delete the message sitting in the queue waiting for moderator approval, than the sender would never know whether the message was seen, or approved, or denied... right?

I know that messages use a standard template response located at /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/reports/en. If I delete the template corresponding to the denial response, what will happen?
Will Kerio simply generate a blank message to the sender?
Will Kerio hang or break?

I am thinking of simply modifying the response template so it is vanilla and very obscure. That way it does not matter if your response is denied or auto times out, the message is so obscure that you will simply ignore it.

**Templates and Server Reports**
21.6 Server Reports

In mailing lists, there are many automatically generated messages (informative messages, error reports, requests to moderators, etc.). In each list, language for these reports can be chosen (you can select from a few predefined language alternatives). Message templates are kept in the reports subdirectory where Kerio Connect is installed. The reports directory includes other subdirectories according to languages (e.g. de for German, en for English, etc.). Language templates are included in these subdirectories.

Message templates may be edited in any editor that supports UTF-8 encoding. The Kerio Connect administrator can modify these messages and reports or create a new language version following the guide that is included.
**Templates and Server Reports**
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

It will fill up the error log with messages for each message that expires in the mailing list. But no email will be sent back to the sender.
  •  
Kcaldera

So it sounds like the "safest" option is to modify the denial response template to say something that we deem appropriate and bland.
Previous Topic: Show subscribed Tasks folder in Client app.
Next Topic: Two-factor authentication (Google OTP)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 18:45:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00487 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.