Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » (resolved) Kerio VPN client STILL not compatible with 64bit Ubuntu ! ' kerio-control-vpnclient (kerio-control-vpnclient:i386 : Depends: openssl:i386 but it is not installed)
  •  
morgan

Send a private message to this user
Latest kerio VPN client for ubuntu still unable to work with AMD64 ubuntu without breaking apt....

This is on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Ubuntu 12.10.

I can install with :-

sudo dpkg --force-depends --force-architecture -i Downloads/kerio-control-vpnclient-7.4.1-5051-linux.deb 

Its fine, however apt is then broken!!
sudo apt-get upgrade 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 kerio-control-vpnclient:i386 : Depends: openssl:i386 but it is not installed

If I do

sudo apt-get -f install

It REMOVES kerio.

Why can you not make a package that works with 64bit !

What is the solution ? Most Linux users are 64bit users !

Really as going to have to possibly look into a completely new VPN solution , one that works properly on Linux.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 December 2013 20:35]

•  
chrwei

I actually was able to make it work, however, it removes cups and 40 some odd other packages because Ubuntu's openssl:i386 package is set to conflict with their normal openssl package. I don't know if this a bug in the ubuntu packaging or a technical limitation.

however, Kerio makes a x64 Windows client, why not make a x64 linux client?
  •  
AshkanV

As a temporary solution you can do as the followeing:

1- Find the required, but unavailable packages:
libgcc1.i386
libuuid1.i386
libstdc++6.i386

2- Download all required 32-bit libraries. for example from: debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages

3- Put all the libraries in a folder.

4- Add the path to the environmet:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PathToLibsDir":${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
and replace $PathToLibs with the appropriate path.
In fact you may need to add this to the root environment and start the vpn with it:
pkexec --user root sh -c "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PathToLibsDir":${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}; kvpncsvc"

5- It is finished!

I personally test this on Ubuntu 12.04 (There, I also installed libc6.i386 which is requierd, from the repository of Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install libc6.i386)

Please tell us the results.
  •  
chrwei

ok, but how did you install the deb without it installing openssl:i386 and removing cups and many other things?

all those libraries are in the repo's, the issue is not missing files, but openssl 32-bit/64-bit not wanting to coexist.
  •  
AshkanV

Sorry for incomplete description.

Infact I did not install any files, But extract them all and used them:

First there is no need for 32-bit openssl. The deb insaller requires it because it is designed on a 32-bit system for a 32-bit system so the dependencies part of the installer says that the package needs a 32-bit openssl.
Before I send the current post I test it again on "Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 Live CD" in VMWare (Because I currently use Fedora) and the vpn connected successfully without installing openssl.i386.
So these are the steps I go with:

Extract the libraries in a folder (i.e: libs) and the executable anywhere you want (even in the previous folder:

1- kerio-control-vpnclient-linux.deb:
- /usr/sbin/kvpncsvc
-----
- /lib/libktcrypto.so.0.9.8
- /lib/libktssl.so.0.9.8
- /lib/libktz.so.1
- /lib/libkvnet.so

2- libgcc1.i386:
- /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

3- libuuid1.i386:
- /lib/libuuid.so.1
- /lib/libuuid.so.1.3.0

4- libstdc++6.i386:
- /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
- /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13

5- Install libc6.i386:
- sudo apt-get install libc6.i386

6- Start the VPN:
sudo sh -c "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PathToLibsDir":${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}; kvpncsvc"
and replace $PathToLibs with the path of the folder you used for extracting libraries.

That's it.

** Ofcource don't forget to put your configuration file in /etc/kerio-kvc.conf.
If you don't have the configuration file you can create it on a 32-bit live cd.
I wrote a script which do the configuration part after the installation, but uses only bash, so it is portable to any os. I extracted it from the debconfig script in the kerio installer and some help from the ArchLinux user-made kerio installer.
  •  
AshkanV

Here is the configuration script I told about.
I used the localized messeges in the script, so it took a little time to change it to English.
If anyone tests it, please tell me if there are any problems in it.

•  
AshkanV

Hello again.

I don't know whether the licence terms of KerioVPNClient for Linux allows me to distribute it in this way or not (please tell me, or remove this post! if it is not).

I had made a package for internal uses in my company, some of my friends and for myself, but today decided to put the a download link to that package here, so other linux users would also make use of it.

It is tested on these
64-Bit platforms:
LinuxMint 14 Mate
Ubuntu 12.04
Kubuntu 11.10
Fedora 18 x86_64 Gnome, KDE
OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE
32-Bit platforms:
LinuxMint 13, 12 Cinnamon

Download Link: rapidshare.com/files/2809583891/KerioVPNClient-Linux-EN.tar. bz2
  •  
AshkanV

Sorry there was an incorrect space in file name.

rapidshare.com/files/2809583891/KerioVPNClient-Linux-EN.tar. bz2
  •  
AshkanV

Well I don't know. It looks like that the forum posting system add a space before the bz2, So just copy the address and remove the space before it
  •  
morgan

Thanks for the response.

I have actually also made a x86_64 package that I can confirm works with Ubuntu 12.10 / 13.04 fine.

kerio-control-vpnclient-8.0.1-609-linux.deb

I used the technique outlined here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1924727&s=1e70c 3b6d5ccb76e8e077a457d81d380&p=12298821#post12298821

(method 1)

It works 100% fine !

Also you don't have to break your system removing vital packages and replacing with 32 bit ones.

After knowing what to do it takes about 30 seconds to make the package...

What is the legal status of me uploading this ? I would like to share this with other 64bit users so they can actually use their systems (without breaking anything)

- why can't kerio make a 64bit compatible one (it takes less than 1 minute..) (If they want to hire me to make the package I will do it for free...)

- Really you should have a debian repo....

Regards

[Updated on: Wed, 01 May 2013 10:15]

•  
morgan

Sorry - here is a more concise step by step guide:-

(tested on ubuntu 12.10/13.04)

First

Download the 32bit client - kerio-control-vpnclient-(version)-linux.deb from

http://www.kerio.co.uk/uk/control/download

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install devscripts make patch build-essential libc6:i386 libgcc1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libuuid1 debconf vim

Then download videbcontrol.sh from https://gist.github.com/chetan/1410666

- you can use

wget http://gist.github.com/chetan/1410666/raw/c2bb08d1a7fef0992242e8defbb7a58328d36367/videbcontrol.sh

then

chmod + x videbcontrol.sh

then

./videbcontrol.sh kerio-control-vpnclient-(version)-linux.deb

i.e in my case

./videbcontrol.sh kerio-control-vpnclient-8.0.1-609-linux.deb

You have to change a few things - the Architecture needs to be amd64 and the depends you need to change some packages to :i386...

Herer is my example (make sure the version number matches what you downloaded

Package: kerio-control-vpnclient
Source: kerio-control
Version: 8.0.1.609-1
Architecture: amd64
Maintainer: Kerio Technologies <info<_at_>kerio.com>
Installed-Size: 6935
Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.8), libgcc1:i386 (>= 1:4.1.1), libstdc++6:i386 (>= 4.2.1), libuuid1:i386 (>= 2.16), debconf (>= 0.5), openssl, procps
Conflicts: kerio-kvc
Replaces: kerio-kvc
Section: non-free/admin
Priority: optional
Description: Kerio VPN client
 Internet access management for corporate networks.
 This package contains the Kerio VPN client.

- save with Esc:wq (like vi)

then

mv kerio-control-vpnclient-8.0.1-609-linux.deb kerio-control-vpnclient-8.0.1-609-linux.deb.orig

mv kerio-control-vpnclient-8.0.1-609-linux.modfied.deb kerio-control-vpnclient-8.0.1-609-linux.deb

sudo dpkg -i kerio-control-vpnclient-8.0.1-609-linux.deb

sudo /etc/init.d/kerio-kvc restart

Done !

[Updated on: Tue, 22 October 2013 22:57]

•  
chrwei

would leaving it as i386 and just removing the openssl depends work? does it actually need openssl anyway?

I made a Suggest thing for the repo idea. http://feedback.kerio.com/forums/141042-kerio-control/sugges tions/3914020-have-deb-packages-in-a-repo
  •  
morgan

If you want to just have a 64bit system and not have to uninstall any packages you need to change it to amd64

Yes it does need ssl

here are my installed ssl packages

dpkg -l |egrep "libssl|openssl"

ii  libssl1.0.0:amd64                     1.0.1c-4ubuntu8                     amd64        SSL shared libraries
ii  libssl1.0.0:i386                      1.0.1c-4ubuntu8                     i386         SSL shared libraries
ii  openssl                               1.0.1c-4ubuntu8                     amd64        Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related cryptographic tools

do not install openssl:i386 - this will break various things

note if I did

sudo apt-get install openssl:i386

the following packages would be removed...

apturl-kde bluez-cups ca-certificates cups cups-browsed cups-daemon hplip icoutils kerio-control-vpnclient kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-firefox-installer liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmuonprivate1 libparse-debcontrol-perl libruby1.9.1
libwww-perl muon muon-installer muon-notifier muon-updater openssl printer-driver-gutenprint printer-driver-hpcups printer-driver-postscript-hp ruby ruby1.9.1 software-properties-common software-properties-kde ssl-cert
The following NEW packages will be installed

[Updated on: Wed, 01 May 2013 21:38]

•  
chrwei

what about having it only depend on libssl? openssl is going to be installed anyway on pretty much all systems.
I already have a bunch of i386 packages so I don't care about that, I just don't want it to break things. I don't much for care the concept of amd64 package depending on i386 packages, that just seems silly.
taalf

AshkanV wrote on Wed, 01 May 2013 09:40
Hello again.

I don't know whether the licence terms of KerioVPNClient for Linux allows me to distribute it in this way or not (please tell me, or remove this post! if it is not).

I had made a package for internal uses in my company, some of my friends and for myself, but today decided to put the a download link to that package here, so other linux users would also make use of it.

It is tested on these
64-Bit platforms:
LinuxMint 14 Mate
Ubuntu 12.04
Kubuntu 11.10
Fedora 18 x86_64 Gnome, KDE
OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE
32-Bit platforms:
LinuxMint 13, 12 Cinnamon

Download Link: rapidshare.com/files/2809583891/KerioVPNClient-Linux-EN.tar. bz2

Hello AshkanV,

I hope you always follow this thread!

Your link rapidshare.com/files/2809583891/KerioVPNClient-Linux-EN.tar. bz2 (without space) is dead... ("File not found")

I am on OpenSUSE and have to install the Kerio client for work. I would very much appreciate to have access to your package !

Is it always possible ?

Thank you very much !

Best regards,

Previous Topic: Error: Cannot contact domain controller right now
Next Topic: Slow speeds (Internet Browsing)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 19:36:49 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00562 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.