Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » [Connect 8] "Set up my phone" no longer supports activesync (Visiting webmail login screen and clicking "set up my phone" no longer has an activesync option)
  •  
hberm001

Send a private message to this user
I understand Kerio has a desire to move away from activesync and towards open standards, however if the server still supports activesync (and it currently does) then it should allow the option for users to use it.

The way this gets set up now, the profile on iphones/ipads creates 5 separate account entries. Sloppy, especially when users have to change their passwords. Consider also that Connect automatically locks them out after a handful of incorrect password attempts, which automatically get attempted once per account (and now 1 account is 5 in the settings)

here is before
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/zhouz/junk/image024.p ng

after
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/zhouz/junk/34722434-2 223-471A-99CA-37359E649CC8-440-00000032CDDADF81.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/zhouz/junk/photo.png

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2012 00:26]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

ActiveSync account can be easily configured on the device.
Open protocols have advantages in more contact fields, no problems with meeting requests in shared calendars and can also synchronize Notes.
  •  
hberm001

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Wed, 12 December 2012 22:18
ActiveSync account can be easily configured on the device.
Open protocols have advantages in more contact fields, no problems with meeting requests in shared calendars and can also synchronize Notes.

I am not arguing against what you perceive are the benefits of open standards vs. activesync. My point is that the option was completely removed from the configuration tool, versus swapping the option to default yet still offering activesync. While *I* as an administrator have no problem setting up a device on activesync, my users are a different matter. If my users see a "set up my phone" link and decide to use it, I must be able to support them. If you will not return activesync as an option in "setup my phone" then you should at the very least give us, as admins, the option to prevent users from even seeing the "set up my phone" link.

You also seem to neglect the fact that having one account listed as 5 different entries on an iPhone (and for many of our users simultaneously an iPad) means that when they change their password using the webmail, when their devices try to poll their accounts they WILL get locked out by the number of invalid password attempts. And while they are locked out, going in to the phone settings and correcting the password on any one of the separate accounts on the device will result in error messages, since kerio will refuse to authenticate said user until the lockout expires.

I sincerely hope that this move is not indicative of Kerio's desire to move towards removing activesync from their Connect product.
  •  
sedell

It certainly seems that's the way they're headed. We got Connect because of the support of Microsoft products, and now they're leaving that by the wayside for open standards. For a Microsoft shop, Connect is turning into a more and more hostile product with every update.

Scott
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

sedell wrote on Wed, 12 December 2012 22:47
It certainly seems that's the way they're headed. We got Connect because of the support of Microsoft products, and now they're leaving that by the wayside for open standards. For a Microsoft shop, Connect is turning into a more and more hostile product with every update.

No, that's not a way we go.

But I have to admit that ActiveSync, it's licensing issues and Microsoft's approach to other vendors using EAS might cause a few headaches in the future. We believe that by contributing to open standards (along with other companies in CalConnect consortium) our customers will get much better service without vendor-lock to Microsoft's patents.
  •  
hberm001

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Wed, 12 December 2012 23:26
sedell wrote on Wed, 12 December 2012 22:47

No, that's not a way we go.

But I have to admit that ActiveSync, it's licensing issues and Microsoft's approach to other vendors using EAS might cause a few headaches in the future. We believe that by contributing to open standards (along with other companies in CalConnect consortium) our customers will get much better service without vendor-lock to Microsoft's patents.

I appreciate your concerns over supporting a closed standard like EAS over open standards. However, you seem to be undermining the administrators that operate your software with unannounced decisions like this. In fact, this whole thread you (kerio) have only responded to feed trolls over the "activesync vs open standards" argument, which is not at all my purpose for bringing up my issues.
  •  
Machete

hberm001 wrote on Thu, 13 December 2012 19:09

However, you seem to be undermining the administrators that operate your software with unannounced decisions like this. In fact, this whole thread you (kerio) have only responded to feed trolls over the "activesync vs open standards" argument, which is not at all my purpose for bringing up my issues.

I've only been a Kerio customer for 12 months, and I have seen a strong change like this more and more in those 12 months.
  •  
zebby

Am I reading this thread correctly that users will have to amend 5 passwords on each device when the password changes?
  •  
hberm001

zebby wrote on Tue, 15 January 2013 16:13
Am I reading this thread correctly that users will have to amend 5 passwords on each device when the password changes?

Yes, if you use the webmail's auto-configure your user will be required to change 5 passwords every time their password changes. This becomes a nightmare when you have authentication linked to activeDirectory with password expiration policies. Worse when users have more than one device.

The only way around it is to stop using the configuration profile feature and manually set up their mail using the activesync method that used to be available in the auto-configure.
  •  
zebby

Quote:
Yes, if you use the webmail's auto-configure your user will be required to change 5 passwords every time their password changes. This becomes a nightmare when you have authentication linked to activeDirectory with password expiration policies. Worse when users have more than one device.
Wow! And someone at Kerio thought that this was a good idea? Really?
  •  
trevorcarmichael

Just tested this on my iphone, all seems a bit messy.

Why has this changed, the auto-config thru the webmail page is now useless.

Please tell me this is being looked at
  •  
Diego

This is incredible and it make no sense more than implementing standard protocols. There are many other ways to implement this change smoothly for the administrators and the end users.

Kerio, please do something about it.

Thanks
  •  
zebby

BEGIN RANT:

OK, so I'm a tad confused where Kerio is going with this...
Quote:

So first off, we have a sales team with iPhones and iPads. Yes I know ActiveSync still works so only one password on each device is currently required but does the future hold changing 10 passwords in total? Is this 'giving customers a much better service'?
Is this, along with the 'Set up my phone' being removed forcing users to set ActiveSync manually mean the beginning of the end for ActiveSync with KC?

We were using BB devices using Notifysync, yes it worked but it was yet another layer of software to licence and manage. We tried BESX/KC and fould it worked great with the BB Torch 9800 but caused endless problems with 8250 (sadly the bulk of our users) but hey, the Blackberry connector is on death row now.

We switched to iPhones, these were so easy to deploy with Kerio I was amazed, we were knocking these out to end users in 15 minutes of opening the box. Unlike the Blackberry's, we only see the iPhones when someone drops them and breaks the back/front screen. That is their major downfall.

Future Blackberry 10 phones support ActiveSync, a forum post http:// forums.kerio.com/t/23653/??SQ=c1bec02960dbd8df697921d2d3e0a8 48&S=4ebc3d21108f42496275248c5c2c5713 suggets at the moment KC will support these but what of the future?

Cutting to the chase, if KC is planning on dropping ActiveSync then it's game over for Kerio as far as we're concerned. MailEnable or Icewarp, here we come!

Quote:
it's licensing issues and Microsoft's approach to other vendors using EAS might cause a few headaches in the future
Fine, but you're a software developer, dealing with and interfacing to, Microsoft products. Get over it and resolve it. ActiveSync and Outlook are here to stay for a while yet so at this stage walking away saying 'open standards are the future' isn't an answer.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is my rant over.
  •  
cptlo306

I agree completely. If Kerio drops Activesync we'll drop Kerio quickly. I refuse to setup mobile devices with any other type of connection.
mlee (Kerio)

With the integration (Setup my phone/device), Kerio Connect basically install a profile in your iOS devices. If a password change is required, our recommandation is simply to remove the profile and the reinstall the profile using integration.

If you want to see a feature of having the ability of removing Setup My Phone link in webmail, you can use our suggest idea feature in the first page of web administration.

As for ActiveSync support, Google has recently made an announcement you may be interested to see:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/16/google-will-end-mainstream-su pport-for-activesync-in-january/

M.

PTSD. BP. OCD. ASPD. BPD. Certified.
Previous Topic: 7.4.3, Open Directory, Groups within Groups don't work
Next Topic: Scaling Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 21:12:05 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00531 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.