Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrating from Windows to Debian (Here there be dragons)
  •  
BudDurland

Send a private message to this user
With my license renewal coming up, I'm contemplating migrating my KC installation from Windows to Linux (KC VM appliance). So, I ran a test migration. The idea is to be cautious; if something goes awry, I want to be able to fall back to the original environment.

We have appx 220GB in our mail store, which when backed up becomes about 140GB of .zip files. I based my test on the Kerio article about moving to a different machine. Most went as planned, but there are a couple things to look out for.

Here's the basic process I used:

I deployed the KC8 VMWare template on my VMWare host server. I did the initial login & configuration, all looks OK.

Shutdown KC on the new VM using /etc/init.d/kerio-connect stop. Because this is not a real cut over, I left KC running on the current production box.

Begin the copy of my Windows KC mailstore back to a directory on the new VM. On my gear, this took about 7 hours.

Use WinSCP to copy the following files on the new VM into a safe location: /opt/kerio/mailserver/mailserver.cfg and /opt/kerio/mailserver/license/license.key.

Once the mail store backup is copied over, use KMSRECOVER as per the Kerio documentation to put the mailstore data in place on the new server. For me this process took about 11 hours.

Now, you'll need to use WinSCP again, and a good multi-file text editor (my weapon of choice is UltraEdit). The KMSRECOVER process will have over-written the mailserver.cfg file and the users.cfg file. The users.cfg file is no big deal, but the mailserver.cfg file is. It contains, among other things, the location of the mail store, the host name, and other goodies. Some settings from the pre-KMSRECOVER Linux version will need to be entered into the restored version, overwriting the windows style file paths. This is also a good time to make adjustments to the host name, etc.

Put the copy of the license.key that you saved earlier into /opt/kerio/mailserver/license.

Cross your fingers, and startup KC on the new VM using /etc/init.d/kerio-connect start

In my test, I did not copy the license file from the VM. Later, when I used KMS restore, it over-wrote the existing LINUX license file with a WINDOWS license file. Now, when users try to log in, they get a "server license expired" message. However, I can connect to the administration console, although it warns me that the license is for Windows, so the server will run in trial mode.

I am using Kerberos to authenticate users to my AD domain (no using the AD integration). I could not test to see if that still worked, because I could not log in as a user.

Gonna try again today, using SAMBA to mount the windows folder containing the backup as save that copying process. And I will remember to copy the license file.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
BudDurland

I was hoping to be able to restore my production data to the appliance and do some testing before putting the appliance into production. Alas, when Connect is installed in 30-day trial mode, it draws a line in the sand regarding the installation date. Any message/appointment/contact created before that date is not available for use.

Back to the drawing board.

--Mammy Yokum
  •  
Admin_Root

Hi,

I am trying the same migration, any advices ?

i am going to backup/restore data store and cfg files except the mailserver.cfg

Thank you
  •  
BudDurland

Lessons I learned..

Do not start until you have the Linux KC license in hand..

Install the Debian server. Backup /opt/kerio/mail server/mail server.cfg. Stop the KC services (/etc/init.d/kerio-connect stop)

Copy over you latest mail store backup for windows. We used winSCP to do this.

Use KMSRECOVER to read the backup and put all the files in place

Restart kero-connect

Login to the admin console. You will probably see an error about license os mis-match. Ignore it. Install the Linux licensee.

Stop Mario connect again. Edit the mail server.cfg file replacing the windows style data paths/ folder names to Linux style

If needed, change host names, ip address, etc of new server

Restart kerio connect

--Mammy Yokum
Previous Topic: Kerio Connect and issues with Mountain Lion Apple Address Book and iCal
Next Topic: Upgrade from Outlook 2000 to 2010 and KOC to KOFF
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 12:23:25 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00436 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.