Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Which directories should I backup
  •  
bert@reclamebureau-ivc.nl

Send a private message to this user
Hi, I use of course the built-in backup functionality of Kerio Connect Mailserver version 7.2.4, but as an extra security I want to backup the startup disk of the mailserver with another backup utility (which is Prestore from Archiware, this said aside). I only want to backup the folders that I explicitily need in case of emergency (let's say that the mailserver will be stolen one day). System version of the Mac is 10.5.8 (It's a non-Intel).
Question: which directories on the startup disk do I need to backup to be able to do a succesful restore in case of emergency.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Bert.
  •  
MarkK

From the way you have your question worded, you need to backup the folder that you have the mail server installed to. But what I think you are asking is what other critical files need to be backed up.

In the \mailserver\ folder is the mailserver.cfg, users.cfg, and cluster.cfg files. With those files, a copy of the Kerio installer program, and a copy of the \mailserver\store\ folder, you can restore a mail server back to its opaerating condition.

You can probably skip backing up the \mailserver\store\logs\ folder to save space and time, but the restored server would not have any old logs to view.
  •  

Hi MarkK, thank you for your answer. I'm sorry if I my question was not quite clear.

Imagine that my mailserver is stolen. I would buy a new computer and install Kerio from scratch. Then I was wondering if it was possible to "Finder-drag" all critical Kerio folders/files (from my backup) to the right places to restore the situation how it was at the moment of the last backup before my mailserver was stolen. Therefore I need to know which files/folders are critical. I could of course backup the complete startup disk, but I have reasons (which don't apply to this topic) to prefer a backup of just the files and folders that are critical to Kerio.

You speak about a folder "the mailserver is installed to". How can I find out which folder that is? The installation was years ago done by a person that I never see again unfortunately. So I can't ask him.

Bert.
  •  
InterHmai

Kerio executable program files and configuration files are usually installed to /usr/local/kerio

Kerio data store (actual emails, archives, backups, etc) are usually in /usr/local/kerio/store

The data store location is user definable, either at the time kerio is installed or from the administration page Advanced Options.

If you want a "drag and drop" backup, you pretty much just need the
-mailserver.cfg
-users.cfg
-everything from /kerio/store

You could exclude /kerio/store/backup and /kerio/store/archive zip files, but you would want to include the current month archive data since that is typically on-going until the next month.

•  

Hi InterHmai, thank you for your answer. I checked this and found out that everything (including mailserever.cfg and users.cfg) is stored in /usr/local/kerio/ (or in a subfolder). Which means that I should be fine if I only backup this directory.

That was all I wanted to know. Thank you for the information.

Bert.
Previous Topic: Multi Color Flag from Apple Mail?
Next Topic: Kerio group and absence information user
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 09:24:26 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00426 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.