Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Greylisting - do spam emails eventually get delivered to Junk folder?
  •  
tuffcalc

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

I'm wondering where grey listed messages eventually get delivered. If the IP is not listed as "good" in the Kerio cloud database, and another email is not sent from the same email server during the defined wait period, where does the original message eventually get delivered to? Is it sent to the users Junk email folder or delivered to the users inbox?

Thanks
  •  
Charles B

As I understand Kerio's implementation of the greylisting process, the message in your scenario never gets delivered (with an exception which I'll expand on below).

Thus when a message is not listed as 'good' by the greylisting service, and the service responds with 'delay', the server rejects the incoming email with a message to try again later, and doesn't ever deliver it.

The exception, however, is the common (at least for me) case when the Kerio greylisting service either doesn't respond quickly enough or doesn't respond at all. The IP may or may not be listed as 'good', but it doesn't matter when your Kerio server decides the request has timed out. Then the incoming message will eventually be sent through the normal pipeline. It will be subjected to the same rule and spam checks as any other message before being delivered to whatever mailbox the server decides (or not, depending on your own spam filter settings).

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
  •  
danoli

Is there any sort of log of messages that are never delivered or messages that have been deemed to be spam? I see the counter saying how many are temporarily rejected but it would be nice to manually view the list and in some cases release a 'stuck' email?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Message received by the server and marked as a spam are logged in the spam log.
However, greylisting is something else. If the message is temporarily rejected by the server then the message remains on sender's server, which is still responsible for message delivery. If the sender's server does not try another attempt to deliver the message then the message either stuck on sender's server or it is dropped and the sender gets a DSN report.
  •  
danoli

So does the server that temporarily reject the message have no information about the message being rejected such as sender, subject etc?
  •  
Charles B

Danoli,
I couldn't find any place where it logs the greylisting by default, but you can set it up in the debug log. Go into debug log, Right-click, pick Messages, Content Filters -> Greylisting. That will at least give you From, To, Server IP, and Pass/Delay info.

Mid 2015: Quit Kerio and moved to Exchange 2013 and Meraki.
Kerio Control 8.4.0--Used since it was WinRoute, many years ago
Kerio Connect 8.4.0 on Ubuntu. Bought Connect just in time for the switch to NO SUPPORT(aka pay for support). Not. Happy.
Previous Topic: Update Kerio Connect installed VMware Virtual Appliance (OVF)
Next Topic: No Push on iOS with Kerio 8
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 06:35:50 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00413 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.